Model the original EPCOT?

mawilson

Former Railie
For any of the monorail fans out there....

What about modeling the original Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow as Walt presented back in 1964? This is big enough that it would need to be a team effort on the order of the Darjeeling project.

We're talking lots of beam. No reason we couldn't use JFE's Mark 6's (with appropriate credit, of course). Maybe even reuse his stations in addition to creating some new ones. We'd need to create beam/track and rolling stock for the WED people mover. Since we don't have a huge amount of data, we have room for some creativity, particularly for the buildings. Besides Walt intended that EPCOT would incorporate new technologies. That would include things like MagLev. (Sorry surface guys, Walt was adamant about separating transit and pedestrians).

What do y'all think? Anyone up for it?

Disclaimer: No, I never even met Walt Disney but, I have been doing a lot of reading on the original EPCOT.

Sounds cool, I was hoping a project lke this would get started! Have monorail switches already been made or could you use the maglev one?

Davis

Such a rousing lack of interest. So on to plan B. Could take a while but I think I'll apply some of the EPCOT (actually "garden city") and WDW design ideas to build a prototype permanent site for the Olympics. Somebody suggests it every four years when they see the price tag to recreate the venues in a different city.

The project calls for a "city-state" located in a fictional place that will work for both winter and summer games. It will need venues, residences for permanent staff, transportation, athlete and spectator accomodations, office space (only makes sense to relocate IOC and the international governing authorities), etc.

I don't think Trainz could handle a peak period so I'll model the period between games.

Lots of buildings and stuff to model. Still gonna use the monorail. Also need to create a peoplemover system.

This ought to keep me off the streets for a while.

Back