Maximum Drawing Distance

O.K. I'll ask the stupid questions.

Is there a maximum distance from the tracks that (regardless how powerfull my computer is), I'll never see an object that I place out there?

Yes, I know I can free roam to see it. But if I remain on the train is there an absolute maximum distance that I could see?

Does your viewing height change your maximum drawing or viewing distance?

If you had nothing but flat empty fields for miles and miles, would it be better just to paint empty fields on the boards out to the limit of sight, or create backdrops of flat empty fields?

Would the answer be any different if it was a body of water stretching out into the distance?

Richard

Max distance you can view objects is fixed. It's not dependant on height or type of terrain. TRS2006 has new backdrops that are scenery items that can be seen at much greater distances than the default limit. There's a new config tag that sets this properity. But for ordinary objects and terrain the distance is set by one of the .dat files in the settings directory. You need the program referenced above to play with that.

Bob Pearson

Trainz basically sees a maximum of about one and one-half baseboards, or a bit past 1000 meters. Anything beyond that will remain unseen unless you move on over there.

Good Information.

But let me rephase my question:

If Trainz (right out of the box) has a default range for drawing distance, and it does not vary by the equipment that one is using, then I would like to build my routes to look best for the average user.

We have sliders to control this distance; but what is the actual minimum and maximum distance?

Also, if backdrops can be see farther out than the max drawing distance for other objects is that going to create some unusual sights.

Knowing the actual measurements to this limits will at least give me greater control over scenery to either side of my right of way.

Thanks;

Richard

Scenery Draw Distance Test

I placed a large crane at the edge of a baseboard then laid a ruler from it to measure distances. At reset position of the scenery draw distance slider the crane appeared at 422 meters. Each movement of the slider to the right gained 80 in distance. At full right position distance was 982 meters.

Next I placed a backdrop at the edge of a baseboard then backed away from it until reaching the end of the 1st baseboard. Added a baseboard and backed to its end. Repeated this for 21 baseboards (15120 meters) and could still see a small, dim backdrop. I think there is no distance limit for them.

Bob

But watch out for the 'backdrop in the sky' effect--for some reason backdrops seem to be visible from longer distances than the actual terrain, so if your terrain is relatively high at the edge of the board and you place a backdrop at the current ground level, if you back up enough your backdrop will be seen happily floating high in midair...

--Lamont

But let me rephase my question:

If Trainz (right out of the box) has a default range for drawing distance, and it does not vary by the equipment that one is using, then I would like to build my routes to look best for the average user.

Thanks;

Richard

Work on 1500 meters (2 boards). That is the max viewing distance for ground and objects with default settings and sliders maxed.

Andy :)

But watch out for the 'backdrop in the sky' effect--for some reason backdrops seem to be visible from longer distances than the actual terrain, so if your terrain is relatively high at the edge of the board and you place a backdrop at the current ground level, if you back up enough your backdrop will be seen happily floating high in midair...

--Lamont

Yes; I have seen that!

I suspect that as technology improves, future versions of Trainz will have greater drawing distances to allow great views from train, boat, or plane.

One of my concerns now, is whether to backdrop or not. If the tracks are looking out at miles of swamp, is it better to just paint the swamp out to the current drawing limits, or create a swamp backdrop?

If backdrops currently have no drawing limit, then I could end up with "floaters."

Most routes have trees, buildings, hills, and mountains to limit the line of sight.

In South Florida, the only mountains that we have are man-made from trash. Mount Trashmore! :Y:

Richard

What I have done is use three baseboards with the track approximately in the middle of the middle baseboard. Add just a bit of daytime fog and the farmland seems to go to the horizon even though it is only 3/4 mile to the edge of the world.

That would make sense because the maximum draw distance probably works downward as well.

But in the real world the higher you go, the farther you can see outward.

Is there a maximum draw distance in the real world?

I should visit it someday; it sounds nice. :hehe:

Back