Marta CQ312 reskin to DC Metrorail

There is supposedly a way (but it requires commercial modeling software such as the full version of 3DS Max).

I shall give you a solution in the form of a mathematical proof because I am bored.

Prove: Sketchup to Trainz = possible.

Givens: Blender. ,KMZ plugin for Blender, Sketchup.

1.Model -> .KMZ Export | Export Sketchup item to KMZ format (can be done with the free version.)

2. .KMZ ->.blend | Import KMZ into Blender.

3. .blend -> .3DS | Export model to .3DS

4. .3DS -> .gmax | Import into GMAX.

5. .gmax -> .im | Export to Trainz.

QED.

:)

Yes, it does work and it's all free.

I shall give you a solution in the form of a mathematical proof because I am bored.

Prove: Sketchup to Trainz = possible.

Givens: Blender. ,KMZ plugin for Blender, Sketchup.

1.Model -> .KMZ Export | Export Sketchup item to KMZ format (can be done with the free version.)

2. .KMZ ->.blend | Import KMZ into Blender.

3. .blend -> .3DS | Export model to .3DS

4. .3DS -> .gmax | Import into GMAX.

5. .gmax -> .im | Export to Trainz.

QED.

:)

Yes, it does work and it's all free.

I downloaded and installed Blender. It doesn't have a built in option for .kmz files. I found a site that had a script to import GE3 .kmz files but I need support for GE4 .kmz files. 3D warehouse items are available in Collada format but I couldn't get the import options for Collada to work in Blender.

I found a kmz script in an older version of Blender which was removed because of a security vulnerability. It wouldn't work with the GE4 files. I tried it on a GE3 verision of the White House, then exported it as a 3DS file and imported it into GMAX. All I got were the windows.

PS
Just tried with a GE3 Pentagon kmz and same thing.

Last edited:
For the Google Earth models, the only luck I've had so far was with exporting to Autocad with Sketchup Pro trial, importing into GMAX and then adding a (blank) texture to it. The exported 3ds objects crash gmax. I tried exporting to the free version of 3d Canvas via .obj (Wavefront) but although it would open the file it didn't appear to be rendering. If I had 3d Canvas Pro ($79) I think there is a plugin to export to Trainz. I don't know if it would fare any better in its attempts to import 3ds than GMAX.
Should I start a new thread for this discussion in the proper forum?

Yeh possibly that would be a good idea as this one is gaining some length now.

The new textures are fantastic! Really brings out the Metro feel much more now, especially with the grooves in the roof. Really can't wait for release!:D

Any luck with the doors closing sounds?

Yeh possibly that would be a good idea as this one is gaining some length now.

The new textures are fantastic! Really brings out the Metro feel much more now, especially with the grooves in the roof. Really can't wait for release!:D

Any luck with the doors closing sounds?

I found a doors closing sound file but the website's author had a note saying to ask for permission if you wanted to reuse it. I sent an email and got no response.

Unfortunately I cant get the grooves to go across the very top of the roof because of the way the texture mapping is layed out. I haven't switched the door textures to the new metal texture yet. I also need to do something about the front now because it is too dark compared to the new textures.

Of course there is also the minor issue of the questionable legality of taking stuff directly off GE...

And of course you can't see any of this stuff from the Metro (possibly the monument from the yellow line bridge over the Potomac, but apart from that you can't see anything unless you take the VRE out of town.)

Last edited:
Metro also becomes above ground at or just north of both Union station and RFK Stadium. And of course at Reagan National Airport. Besides the buildings are useful for reference. Especially if you want to recreate the subway entrances. Plus there are other railroads in Washington that could be modelled.

My train is almost done...

I wanted them sooooo baaaddd! :(

No, all I have is a section of the vault, and a very preliminary platform that I think I forgot to save as a gmax file and forgot to center properly in gmax. I think I really need a set of platforms that are attached to the track, after trying to piece things together manually inside a ditch. I will need some expert advice or help on that though. I haven't even started trying to build a mezzanine level yet.

That's alright... I still waaaaaaaaantttt iiiiiiitttttt ttttthhhooouuuuuugh!:'(
Never mind, this is how I work it out:

Wait>>>Quality Work
Rush>>>Junky Work
Can you send me the Vault texture of the ceiling so I could try a simple model. THat way I could release it quickly just to make do until final release...YAY!!!:hehe:
So it'll be worth the wait. btw, some other ideas from me are:

I took a Months tour to Chi, St. Lou, Niag(Canada), Montreal, NYC, Philly, Hershey(YUUUMM!), Balt, Washington d.c., Orlando, then home to Tampa. In D.C., I was on a regional because the acelas were being repaired(NO FAIR!) and when we got to new carrollton, I saw the metro above ground. so there is another at-grade portion of the met. To bad the Tampa bay Area doesn't have any rail. JUst 4 different junky bus systems.
I hope the new Autority signed by Govenor Crist, TBARTA(Tampa Bay transportation Authority)--- Sister to San Fransisco BART--- will commit to Commuter Rail, or LRT. Orlando has. It's system will be here in 2009. So when I visit my aunt, I can take the train. I guess I'm just stuck with the bus full of illegal mexicans(Seriously!) I took the silver meteor to Tampa(my hometown, i just turned 14, mind you so I haven't moved YET) in the Crisp Viewliners. Wounderful Chocolate Pyramids to(almost gave me diarehha:eek: ). Sorry for bad typing grammar, i just don't feel like typing perfectly.

p.s. may I suggest you use andi06's station and platform kit(I use it all the time for my UK, and US Routes) it will connect everything-- i'll email or post some pics.....

That's alright... I still waaaaaaaaantttt iiiiiiitttttt ttttthhhooouuuuuugh!:'(
Never mind, this is how I work it out:

Wait>>>Quality Work
Rush>>>Junky Work
Can you send me the Vault texture of the ceiling so I could try a simple model. THat way I could release it quickly just to make do until final release...YAY!!!:hehe:
So it'll be worth the wait. btw, some other ideas from me are:

I took a Months tour to Chi, St. Lou, Niag(Canada), Montreal, NYC, Philly, Hershey(YUUUMM!), Balt, Washington d.c., Orlando, then home to Tampa. In D.C., I was on a regional because the acelas were being repaired(NO FAIR!) and when we got to new carrollton, I saw the metro above ground. so there is another at-grade portion of the met. To bad the Tampa bay Area doesn't have any rail. JUst 4 different junky bus systems.
I hope the new Autority signed by Govenor Crist, TBARTA(Tampa Bay transportation Authority)--- Sister to San Fransisco BART--- will commit to Commuter Rail, or LRT. Orlando has. It's system will be here in 2009. So when I visit my aunt, I can take the train. I guess I'm just stuck with the bus full of illegal mexicans(Seriously!) I took the silver meteor to Tampa(my hometown, i just turned 14, mind you so I haven't moved YET) in the Crisp Viewliners. Wounderful Chocolate Pyramids to(almost gave me diarehha:eek: ). Sorry for bad typing grammar, i just don't feel like typing perfectly.

p.s. may I suggest you use andi06's station and platform kit(I use it all the time for my UK, and US Routes) it will connect everything-- i'll email or post some pics.....

I got to ride the Acela from Washington to Philly and back once.

Most of the Metro is actually above ground. The Orange line along I-66
(west of Ballston), Blue and Yellow line from National airport south, and
many more parts.

By h9000

Didn't realize Alexandria Yard was that big, even though I see it all day when I'm supposed to be paying attention in science class.:D

Anyway, with luck this project will include this: Union Station
trainz2007-03-0118-03-37-73.jpg

trainz2007-03-0118-01-44-93.jpg

Before you start saying "OMG! NEC!" it will probably only go north tho New Carrollton, and south to Mannassas and/or Fredricksburg.

Lookin very sharp now!!! I noticed the platforms are just reskins of the UK ones that everyone seems to have. I hope some real Metro platforms will be released.
I have a Metro ticket machine and Station name pole which I reskinned but unfortunatly I'm not sure who created the originals.

Hope you dont mind a little critisism RooRocz, but the area around Union Station is nowhere near as built up as in your layout. It is more industrial (former) and is slowly being redeveloped. The track is also on an embankment at this point.

Last edited:
Hope you dont mind a little critisism RooRocz, but the area around Union Station is nowhere near as built up as in your layout. It is more industrial (former) and is slowly being redeveloped. The track is also on an embankment at this point.

Yeah, I just realized that when I went there recently, and man, it's a dump. Particularly the VRE platforms, which shake up and down with dust falling off the roof when the train gets in.:confused: They really have that ticket counter hidden well there...

EDIT: workin' on a really good Metro station:
metro1.jpg

Obviously, some work must be done, I only started it 2 hours ago, but I think it looks good so far.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just realized that when I went there recently, and man, it's a dump. Particularly the VRE platforms, which shake up and down with dust falling off the roof when the train gets in.:confused: They really have that ticket counter hidden well there...

EDIT: workin' on a really good Metro station:
metro1.jpg

Obviously, some work must be done, I only started it 2 hours ago, but I think it looks good so far.

Hi RooRocz,

Holy Cow!lol:hehe: That is one heckofa Metrorail Station. I'm sure It probably won't be released until next year(2008). You probably have more things(Real life like family, and Trainz stuff like beta content)to get done with before you can finish and release the met station.

Lovely Jubbly,
DelBoy Trotter(Isaac Grove)

Back