map creation questions

rjc0235

so first, i am no noob when it comes to trainz, and have decided to take a leap to pro map builder.

currently im using 2009, so would it be beneficial to upgrade to 2012?

but mostly, are there any tools available for creating routes other than the built in surveyor. for example alot of the collosal routes (like the DHR route) i would find it hard to belive they created the terrain using the surveyor.

i am trying to re-create the snowdon mountain railway route (will probarbly take years and be rarther hideous) but terrain was my main focus when it came to making this.

years ago i made a previous attempt at making the route, and made a bump map to take up snowden, but it started lagging from the sheer amount tiles it needed to make alot of the mountain side, and the bump map was very low res and not that good (i did make in paint though)

so are there any good tools for making trainz routes other than the built in surveyor?

many thanks,
Richard

many thanks for teh reply.

wow. thats pretty much spot on what i was looking for and wow £20, for a tool that good, i feel easily inclined to buy it (should i undertake this challenge :p )

There is another (free) tool called HOG, which is old, unsupported, and takes a bit of work to find and set up. I havnt used it but at least one trainzer is using it in TS12 (there is an active thread right now in this forum discussing the issues he's having with it). I would recommend TransDEM over HOG, though I havnt used that either (just read a lot about both of them). I'm considering getting TransDEM to create a route of my local area, but I have a lot of older projects to complete first before I can start on that.

As to the question of should you upgrade to TS12.... I would always recommend upgrading to the latest version of any software (being a software engineer by trade), but TS2009 will get you started. I found a few problems with my TS2009, including crashes etc, but that may just be my installation of it. For route building its probably just as good as TS12, since the only major improvements I recall since then (correct me if i'm wrong) have been for content creation (introduction of new button and switch asset kinds for interiors etc), though I skipped over the versions in between. There have been at least 2 or 3 versions since TS2009, so I'd imagine a lot of bugs would have been fixed on the way to TS12 as well.

They often have sales in the online store where various versions of Trainz are discounted periodically, you might wait until the next TS12 sale comes around.

Richard, unless I'm mistaken, Wylie is probably referring to me. I would recommend going with TransDem as well. Using the MicroDem and Hog software does work and seems to do a reasonable job, but after reading many, many, of the forum posts, TransDem is more accurate with placement of Tiger data and much easier to use. As soon as I have some more expendable income, I will be switching to TransDem as well.

Barry

I am new to Trainz, though I've had several versions. I have TranzDEM, but beyond setting up the tutorial example, have not tried setting up a route with my own data. Are there tutorials on using TIGER map data and USGS DEM's?

Regards,
Hank

TransDem is more accurate with placement of Tiger data and much easier to use. As soon as I have some more expendable income, I will be switching to TransDem as well.

Very true, I used MicroDem on my Seattle route and tiger data is now about 100 meters out and is pretty much unusable. Google Earth has become very handy

Andy

Back