Lost Down load station link

bradnock

bradnock
The old demons has stuck again my new hard drive has failed. I managed to transfer my Trainz data to a spare hard drive and replaced the old C drive but the link between the Trainz download station and the contents manager has been lost I get the message from the search engine Firefox in this case that there is no protocol with this station and I cannot get a link I would be grateful for any ideas

I have this huge link stating "Download Station" at the top of every forum page (7th button from the left). Maybe check there?

And if not: You got 2010... start using Content Manager?

I had a similar (identical?) problem a while back. Firefox does not recognise the "Trainz:" protocol. I posted the solution here.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?81856

With a bit of luck you may only need to worry about step 24 in the list by editing the location of your content manager program to ensure that Firefox can locate it.

Peter Ware

Last edited:
Meanwhile, you should probably switch to another browser. I can personally attest that the trainz: protocol works in Google Chrome.

Possibly, but the problem was not with Firefox - my statement "Firefox does not recognise the 'Trainz' protocol" was a bit misleading - it reflected the message Firefox was giving me. This problem occurred after an over-eager anti-scam software I was trialing did not like Trainz being labelled as a legitimate protocol for a web page so it deleted the protocol link to ContentManager.exe from my system registry. The end result, not being able to download from the Web based DLS, would have been the same regardless of which browser you were using.

I think that this may be the problem I will try and check the protocol in the registry there may be a fault with the computer as I have had to replace the c drive after it failed and since then I have had lots of problems with the internet. Thanks for the avice Les

If the protocol is missing, I suggest backing up your 'Local' folder and uninstalling/reinstalling for at least one version of Trainz. I'd suggest you do it for one of the earlier versions. Alternatively, you can purchase and install a different version of Trainz or install an existing version to a separate directory. This has the upshot of restoring your Trainz: protocol while having a clean version of Trainz with which to work.

You are in luck, as I'm about to develop a utility to sort out trainz: protocol problems, as well as giving the user the choice of which version of Trainz they want to install the content in.

Shane

EDIT: The utility is now developed - see my latest blog post for details.

Last edited:
I have downloaded the utility as sugested it ran said that there was 8 versions found a locked up and did not continue is there any sugestions Les

I have downloaded the utility as sugested it ran said that there was 8 versions found a locked up and did not continue is there any sugestions Les

Did any errors appear at the same time? I'm currently investigating an issue with certain configurations.

Also note that the file must be run from a folder, not run directly from the Internet. This is so it can save it's configuration information.

Shane

OK. I will do a few checks and will let you know what's happened. What was it doing at the time of the freeze? (apologies for this)

Shane

I loaded the utility and left it too load it showed the screen were it indicted that it was loading and found 8 different files then just stoped. I left it like that for an hour then I tryed to load it again to the same results. Les (no apologies needed).

OK - try the reuploaded version. Once it gets to that point, check if the trainzversions.dat file has been created or not.

Shane

I have reloaded New version and it ran OK But I am still having trouble with the down load station not down loading to t10 contents manager. Although I can down load direct with the down load station to contents manager. There may be a problem with my search engine Firefox has stopped running at the moment so I am going to re install. I will let you know the outcome Les

OK - if it still fails, make sure you have the latest version as I had to correct an issue with versions not appearing in the list.

Shane

Back