Looking for trackwelds

dd-ar

TANE-std
Dear Trainz Colleague,

I'm looking for trackwelds. I'm looking for connectors between 2 track sections as seen of the picture below. I've seen some of these on this forum. unfortunately i've never found these connectors. I'm looking at the upper connector.. not the broken one of course. :hehe: I hope somebody can help me to find them.

Afb041.jpg

Thank your very much.

Best regards,

Koos

Search in CM for "Fishplate", you'll find several.

BTW I've never heard of "trackwelds" is this an American term? In Britain I've always heard them called fishplates or occasionally rail joiners.

American is rail joiners, search for 'rail joiner' in CMP, there are also several.

I also no some call them expansion joiners, not sure why.

Thank you. I didn't knew the English name for it. In my country (Holland) we call them spoorlas. Spoor (track / rails) las (weld- from welding).... I finally know the English word. We're never too old to learn something. :hehe:

Best regards,

Koos

American is rail joiners, search for 'rail joiner' in CMP, there are also several.

I also no some call them expansion joiners, not sure why.

They're called expansion joiners because the gap usually left between the rail ends (as in the bottom photo) allows the rail to expand on hot days rather than buckling.

Railwayz

Yes but they aren't true expansion joiners, like here:
rail-expansion-joints.jpg

and here:
sej.jpg

Not to be confused with expansion joints :hehe:

Last edited:
They're called expansion joiners because the gap usually left between the rail ends (as in the bottom photo) allows the rail to expand on hot days rather than buckling.
That's what I was always given to understand. However, if the fishplates are tightly secured then there would appear to be nowhere for the rail to expand, so doesn't the buckling still occur?

AMTRAXwannabe's examples, which I'd never seen before, look a far more practical solution.

A good "weld" in a piece of rail (as opposed to a fishplated joint) should be almost impossible to notice except up close.

That's what I was always given to understand. However, if the fishplates are tightly secured then there would appear to be nowhere for the rail to expand, so doesn't the buckling still occur?

AMTRAKwannabe's examples, which I'd never seen before, look a far more practical solution.

I hadn't seen 'em either, until I started looking up the Shinkansen and then for the expansion joints that could be seen in the track, the only difference between those and the Shinkansen ones are that they are longer on the Shinkansen type, higher speed, longer joint(to my understanding)

Hi,

Originally, in the 19th century, rails could be rolled in short lengths only. During the 1860s and 70s e. g. the Grandduchy of Baden railways used 6 m long rails, and later rails 7.5 m long. They were joined by fish plates. As the holes drilled into to the rails on one of the ends were slightly elongated, the rails could expand and contract. To allow expansion and contraction precisely defined gaps were allowed between the pieces of rail, their length depending upon the temperature during track laying.

Actually, the ease by which broad foot or Vignoles type rail could be joined by fish plates was one reason why railway companies switched from e.g. bridge rails to Vignoles type rail.

When continuously welded track was implemented in the mid- 20th century the rails and sleepers were very tightly joined. Most of the longitudinal forces caused by expansion and contraction are transmitted to the sleepers and from there to the ballast between sleepers, requiring only few expansion devices.

Cheers,

Konni

Last edited:
Simulatortrain over at Jointed Rail has made some track with built-in fishplates as well. The track is free, with a free login account, and begins with "ST". The track is in both 100lb and 132lb.

John

Back