locating missing assets

jytte

route builder
I just went through a total re-install, and given the amount of trouble I had before, and the amount of faulty assets I had, I opted NOT to re-install my backup of the "old" local folder.

I have all my own "stuff" on cdp. So I figured it would be a snap to just import those, and then download any missing assets that would show up. NOT SO.

I just loaded a small route of mine. It's just one board loaded with trains, so that I can have a look at that and pick and choose the ones I want to use.
It came up with 32 missing and 77 unknown!! Viewing the dependencies in main list is of little help, since it only brings up the 32 missing (which are easy to download).
As for the 77 so-called "unknown", they were all downloaded from DLS previously, and they are still there, but I have to painstakingly copy the kuid of each one, then search for them on DLS, and then download that one. What a PITA :confused:

How and why are they showing up as "unknown"? And is there some easier way of locating these that I'm not aware of???

Its not always that it is missing. sometime on older assets the kuid is put into the config table but with the kuid2 now used the old kuid may have been updated so trainz uses the new one but still looks for the old kuid. It can also be an incorrect kuid like those that had 127 as the version number.

But these kuids are perfectly valid, and they're all on DLS, they just show "unknown" in CMP. Why is that?

But these kuids are perfectly valid, and they're all on DLS, they just show "unknown" in CMP. Why is that?

It is one of those dark mysteries of CMP. Rumour has it that it was programmed during a full eclipse of the sun and as a result the soul of the programmer was drawn into the program. It is that disturbed entity that messes up proper functionality at times when it tries to GET OUT!

I've moved on to a route that has 185 missing. Working my way down the list, I realize, that EVERY single one of them is "Trainz Service Pack 3". Is there some reason why CMP won't recognize those????

And even worse: When I eventually go to upload this route, will then everybody that downloads it have to go searching for these 185 assets? Or does it make a difference when the route gets downloaded from DLS????

Download station has a Loco, only to find many assets are elsewhere on the internet. If I can't find all or substitute assets, the the loco ends up in the trash. It's shame to throw away the artist's hard work. However, Trainz is a great game.

jytte,
After a re-install CMP has no index (assets.tdx) of what is on the DLS so until that gets rebuilt (sometimes takes a while :eek: ) CMP will show missing assets as unknown even if they are on the DLS.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I guess the only way to really know what's "missing" or not, once a route is finished, is to download it from a "clean" PC (as in only having the "raw" Trainz on it). But I cannot download until I've uploaded, and It would be nice to know these things ahead of uploading. Sort of a catch 22 here.
Maybe just installing the route cdp on that same "clean" PC, then see if that one can "find" the missing dependencies. I could use my "old" PC for that kind of experimenting.

Thanks Bob,

I guess the only way to really know what's "missing" or not, once a route is finished, is to download it from a "clean" PC (as in only having the "raw" Trainz on it). But I cannot download until I've uploaded, and It would be nice to know these things ahead of uploading. Sort of a catch 22 here.
Maybe just installing the route cdp on that same "clean" PC, then see if that one can "find" the missing dependencies. I could use my "old" PC for that kind of experimenting.

Loading your CDP file on to a clean PC will do the trick because if you upload your route, CMP or the download helper (TRS2004), will go out and look for missing items on the Download Station. Your stand alone copy will try to look for local assets, and this is where you'll be able to tell what's truely missing. Remember that faulty assets can also cause missing assets because they won't be loaded into the route.

John

Working my way down the list, I realize, that EVERY single one of them is "Trainz Service Pack 3". Is there some reason why CMP won't recognize those????

I can only tell you cmp will not show most anything before trs2004.
As for downloading them, Have you tried to "download the route"
What i mean is even though you have the route on you cmp, tell it to download it. cmp "should" find most of the stuff to download and just download it.
See if that helps.
Kenny

Hello John,
I've got no (zero, nada) faulty assets on this PC or in my route, that is one of the reasons I went through this painful procedure, to get rid of all that. Meant I had to rebuild some parts of my route, and make a whole bunch of new versions of assets, but it's worth it to get done now before the layout gets too big.
Yes, I think testing on another "clean" PC is the way to go, and give that PC time to build CMP first, like Bob said.

Kenny, I know what you mean, but it's finding the problems before I upload that I'm after.

Thanks all for your input.

Hello John,
I've got no (zero, nada) faulty assets on this PC or in my route, that is one of the reasons I went through this painful procedure, to get rid of all that. Meant I had to rebuild some parts of my route, and make a whole bunch of new versions of assets, but it's worth it to get done now before the layout gets too big.
Yes, I think testing on another "clean" PC is the way to go, and give that PC time to build CMP first, like Bob said.

Kenny, I know what you mean, but it's finding the problems before I upload that I'm after.

Thanks all for your input.

I see what your problem is. Is it your route, without a session, showing missing assets? If it is then there's something corrupt somewhere. If not, then it's one of the assets used in the session that's broken or missing something that it needs. I've found this to be a problem in the past. When I built my current route, it didn't have any faults until I built a session. At that point, the errors would appear. If I deleted the session, everything loaded fine.

I feel your pain.

John

Uh, no, I think you were right the first time around, John.

I have neither faults nor missing now, not in session either. It was when I imported the route from cdp, on a fresh re-install of trains, that it had 185 "unknowns", all of which WERE on DLS (where I got them before), and I then had to get them one by one from DLS by searching up the kuids. That was a royal pain, and I wondered if that would be the case for future downloaders of that route once it's uploaded. CMP just didn't see them as being on DLS, and I still don't get why that is. I think Bob is probably right that CMP needs "a while" to figure out what's on DLS or not, but how long is "a while".

Back