Light and shadow reversed

GNdome55

I have the AASHTO 40 ft highway bridge. It’s a very nice bridge but the problem is the shadow on the structure is reversed from where the light source is. I downloaded a car recently that had the same problem. Has anyone ever had that problem? Is there a way to fix this?
Gordon

I don't know about the MAC but in TS12 AASHTO_40FT_Bridge_Highway <kuid:106916:10278> by George Fisher is a built-in and has the cast_shadows tag set to 0. It also has no shadow mesh included. I don't see how it could cast a shadow. Is it different in the MAC?

EDIT - Just checked TS12 and that bridge doesn't cast a shadow.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
I’ll clarify what I meant. I’m not referring to a cast shadow, as there is no shadow. I’m talking about the object itself. When I place the bridge perpendicular to the direction of the sun, the bridge is lit on the correct side facing the sun. When I place the bridge parallel or close to parallel, the lighting effect occurs on the opposite side of the way it should be.

G'day GNdome55,

...without actually seeing the asset (as you can see, I have yet to include TS2012 in my 'collection'), for which an image showing the issue would be invaluable, that which you are describing sounds very much to me as if the asset is suffering from 'inverted normals', which is something about which you (and the rest of us, except the original creator) can do nothing...

Jerker {:)}

Thanks Jerker, I actually got it from USLW. I guess it’s also a built-in for TS 12. I took a few screenshot to show how the light is reversed but it sounds like it is what it is so I’ll just leave it at that.
Gordon

Interesting. Does the kuid match up with the one I posted?

In TS12 I have a test route and the track is aligned west to east and at 10 am about 42N lat the shadows cast by the locos are on the north side of the track. I aligned the bridge with the track and the south side of the bridge is a lighter shade and the north side darker.

So in TS12 the lighting on the bridge is correct.

Bob Pearson

Yes, it is the same. My bad.8-( The sides parallel to y direction on the spline are lit correcty but those parallel to x dir aren't. I'm not sure how that works since the textures are displayed but the normals are wrong. I guess the texture is applied to the wrong side of the poly maybe? Kind of inside out.

Bob Pearson

G'day All,

Yes, I think, that if the original creator used the option of "2-sided" textures to overcome a 'flipped normals' issue (rather than manually flipping the normals to make them face the correct direction), this would be the end result...

Jerker {:)}

Back