Largest Route? Most Trains?

Roadwolf

Route Engineer
hehe, Okay... I am curious :)

What is the largest completed Trainz route that anyone out there knows of (in route milage)?

Also, How many trains operating on a single route is the current record, lol. By this I don't mean single car trams or subways, or such things, I mean large multi car trains 500+ meters in length.

I am mostly curious to see what the limitations of Trainz are.

I had a free ware version of this

Think it was TPR, actually a good place to start, there is a couple there

quote=freightcar2;308942]Try the Tehachapi Loop or HPTrainz's's's's Marias Pass PAYWARE route. :) :) :) :) :)[/quote]

Probably the largest route for trainz is Montana Rail Link from
http://www.trainzproroutes.org/mrl.html
Another very large route is probably Rollins Pass from TrainzItalia between Denver and Granby, Colorado. Also Sherman Hills from the same location, between Cheyenne-Laramie, Wyoming.
How many rolling stock you can use in a route depend very much on the characteristics of your computer.

TPR rules!

:cool: Hello Roadwolf,

Check out the ProtoClinch Route, a route of the Clinchfield Railroad, also the Cumberland to Connellsville Route, for C&O, B&O, Pennsylvania Railroad, Western Maryland areas, available as freeware on the TrainzPro Routes links given above. These really great routes work really well in AI Driver mode, as well as at the throttle yourself.

Four sessions are offered also, for the ProtoClinch, that include all content to run a 1977 coal business.

These routes, have content you may need to download, but following threads of Auran Forums, and the TrainzPro Routes Forums, you can find plenty of neet tweaks & tips, to make you really tired at the throttle!

It works in TRS2006.

Dermmy, has a website, for the Clovis Sub Route, a fantastic representation of the ATSF/BNSF, and Union Pacific railroading, of the Southwestern United States of America.

Dermmy, also has the Eastern Kentucky Route, on his website, a Feels Like Home route, that represents the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, in it's coal heyday, up in the hollers' of Eastern, KY.

Enjoy your hobby!

Last edited:
I merged the GHOO Megaroute, Gilby & Wallace, Summer Lake Canada Impressions (the one at HP Trainz.com), and the other Canada Impressions route ALL TOGETHER and called it Greater Canada.

Unfortunately though, I think I deleted it, since it took almost half an hour to load. It took over 3 hours to drive from one end of Gilby & Wallace to the other end on the GHOO Megaroute, driving a Superchief at 78 MPH the whole time :eek:

at one point in time i made a route consiting of a 45 minute UM run plus about 20 other created layouts. about 5 hours from the UM to the Urban industrial B route.

Bumping this thread, too: what is the longest TPR route in terms of numbers of boards? I'm contemplating doing an accurate representation of a smallish regional, about 100 miles long, and which i estimate will be about 250 or so boards in length, and just guessing, but if I add extra boards sufficient to make most of the towns (five larger ones, and about twice that many smaller ones), then I'm looking at perhaps 500 to 750 boards.

How big are some of the larger ones?

ns

I am hoping to release a 10,000 baseboard Horseshoe Curve route before late December...I probably will break it up into several sections, as it is much, much too huge.

hi all
my caboolture to rockhampton queensland australia route takes an express passenger about 3 hours to run.

i am at this time replacing the farmhouses with more typical ones that have been released since i started.
it has been beta tested and nobody has come up with any faults.

it has 16 AI trains and 2 to drive yourself

of course any of the AI ones can be driven as well.
it has steam and diesel

cheers
ron

My personal route, the Enfield and Eastern, is about 150 miles long not counting branchlines. It can take up to 2-1/2 hours to drive the full length from end to end. I have had up to 22 AI trains running at once as well as a personally driven others.

The AI are mostly driving other passenger trains and few freights. Most of the passenger trains originate to and from the terminals with a couple that come from a couple of portals. The freights are all portal trains that run across the route and exit at another portal. I ususally "take" over one of the freights and drive it to a yard where I disconnect the load and send the locomotives to the engine shed. I then take out the local switcher and shunt the cars around then do some local industry switching. When that's done, I reconnect the road locals and send the AI on their way to their other destinations.

The problem with routes this long and complicated is that th AI drivers get more stupid than they usually are. It's not as bad with TS2009, but it still happens. Instead of waiting at a red signal, they'll try their best to go around it. This can snarl up the throats to terminal tracks and yards. I have done numerous things to tweak their timing so they don't block, but it doesn't always work. What works once or twice doesn't seem to work another time.

So once my mega-route is complete, I'm starting on some smaller projects that aren't as complicated mostly for my sanity and frustration levels.

Something to think about with big complicated routes!

John

My "Alberta run" takes about 5 hours to drive and longer if you drive the LRV routes in the two cities as well (at the posted speed) and is about 65mb in size.

After I read it all, I still go for the (PAYWARE) complete Marias Pass Route as to be the longest route. It takes beyond 6 hours to drive from the station most west to the station most east at that route and almost seven hours to drive the longest distance from edge to edge of the total layout (if you take a fast train and if you stick to the speed limits).

About the number of trainz: In Trainz 2006, PTP and 2007 there the default is set at 24 Trains. Yet, there is a default-installed-roule that you can open in the surveyor / editor to change that number to any number you want to create more busy or less busy traffic.

Obviously busier traffic goes hard on the framerate. You should have a real big and fast pc if you try to virtual realize a realy hughe train traffic.

I have no idea about the maximum number of trainz thinkable/possible/available in older Trainz or younger Trainz-versions.

With very best reagards,
Stefan

Or even try the new Clovis 2 route by Dermmy... Highly recommended as it has mountain running along with the high-desert feeling. The route is quite intensive on the computer, though. Even after about 2 hours of messing around in Surveyor, I started getting blank textures on train cars from not being enough memory to hold it all (On Vista 32 bit w/3.25 GB available, which was my mistake. Didn't have this problem with Vista 64 bit, though). I personally really like the route as it includes the original Clovis 1 too and has enough things to do to keep a person occupied for a boring day.

Just my thoughts...

Kyle

Back