Laptop Cooling Issues

Screamingman14

My laptop (an HP zd8000) is running hotter than I expect it to, I have a cooling pad that I am using, as well as a temperature tool (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php). Yesterday, it ran at an average temperature of 63.5 C, topping out at about 65 C. It normally runs anywhere from 45 C to 56 C. I took off the RAM slot cover to allow more airflow and it is now running at 49 C (these are the processor temps, not the HDD ones). I thought about getting a few cans of compressed air and cleaning it out, but I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas.

Canned air might not be a bad idea. I fix Tvs for a living and I am constantly having to clean the cooling fans for LCD and DLP tvs. I monitor the dust on my PC cpu fan and clean as needed.

Jack

My laptop (an HP zd8000) is running hotter than I expect it to, I have a cooling pad that I am using, as well as a temperature tool (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php). Yesterday, it ran at an average temperature of 63.5 C, topping out at about 65 C. It normally runs anywhere from 45 C to 56 C. I took off the RAM slot cover to allow more airflow and it is now running at 49 C (these are the processor temps, not the HDD ones). I thought about getting a few cans of compressed air and cleaning it out, but I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas.

Laptops are sort of designed to cool the cpu when it runs about 5% of the time, Trainz uses 100% cpu so there will probably be issues. Let it cool down from time to time?

Cheerio John

That's what I do, I only play Trainz when the processor is running under 50 C (usually about 45-46 C), and when I close the game, it's usually at about 54 C

how old is your laptop because dust build up can lead to overheating

i had an pc which ran around 20 degrees hotter than when it was new
dust has built up on the heatsink on the cpu clean it out and wiped off 20 degrees:)

Last edited:
Be very careful with using canned air, if you are blowing anywhere near the fan use something to stick into the fan to stop it turning when the air passes over it.
Compressed air can, and will, make the fan spin way over its max rated rotation level and could (read probably will) damage it in a way you can't see or be evident until it just gives up one day, and that could cause a burned out cpu :'(

Cheers David

Yeah, I had the video car fail because it was running too hot, the guy I took it to said to clean it out and to stop the fans while doing so.

Back