Just seen this on the wiki....."junction-vertices" container?

That's great news, thanks for posting that, wizzy whoo. :p
Now I'll let someone else explain it as I have to rush of now :eek:.

From the information it looks as if it provides the facility to add junctions to the attached track for scenery items. One possibily that suggests itself to me is the ability to have a crossover halfway along a station industry or perhaps model Waterloo Station in its entirity as a singe scenery object!

I would suggest taking a look at the built-in 'Turnout' objects, which are configured using this method.

There are, however, some limitations with the current 'animated turnout' system, the main one being that you cannot 'set' a junction from a rule. However, it does allow the implementation of 'animated'/'detailed' junctions (frog/crossover, animated blades, and animated lever).

Hi,

Is this feature also implemented in the latest update of ts2010 (built 49933)?

Cheers,

Konni

Unfortunately, it was discovered that the 'default' animated junctions were broken with the latest TS2010 update (the same issue is seen in TS12 with the 'default' animated junctions).

Some 3rd party junctions (such as Pencil42's) still work, due to the script 'working around' the default junction system in a sense (and hence forcing them to function).

Hey! a New Yorker! Jeff- there is only one track that matches the animated turnouts. but its so bland.

Zec- hey man hows it going. i was wondering, is there a way to make it so that when you attach a track to one of the animated fixed track turnouts, that the default style track used for the turnout will change to whatever track you hooked up to it?

like I like using the fixed turnouts as opposed to just branching off, because it looks neater and correct, yet they look so awkward because they're a different track.

Due to the way in which fixed track turnouts need to be created, they cannot use the 'use adjoining track' system.

This is why some creators use script to 'swap' textures, so that they can have a single object to cover multiple track textures (grassy, clean, rusty, etc).

Some 3rd party junctions (such as Pencil42's) still work, due to the script 'working around' the default junction system in a sense (and hence forcing them to function).

Hi Zec,

I had thought the only overriding my junction script (such as in kuid2:124060:38024:3) did was to allow the initial junction direction (and some texture replacement) to be set in surveyor? What's the bug I'm accidentally working around?

On the subject of texture swapping; would that or mesh swapping using a mesh library be more efficient (relatively - I imagine both are fairly resource-intensive....)

Thanks,
Curtis

Curtis

Are there 3DS MAX files for the turnouts so that I can see how they were created? One time, Mike10 created "fixed" track system for older version of Trainz.

Hi,

Are there blender files around so that users of blender may see how those turnouts were created?
As I am currently working on recreating a railway of the 1840s, I 'll need to build my own animated junctions. In those days, they had types of turnouts, which were banned from use in later decades. Even the levers and signals looked entirely different from later ones.
Features, which would allow construction of animated junctions without having to resort to extensive scripting would be extremely valuable to me.

Cheers,

Konni

Unfortunately, it was discovered that the 'default' animated junctions were broken with the latest TS2010 update (the same issue is seen in TS12 with the 'default' animated junctions).

also as great as fixed junctions are, i am unable to get them to react properly with signals. not that i have tried very extensively, but they just dont cause the signals to update when they [the junctions] are activated.

I think there are still some bugs / inconsistencies around the fixed track junctions. I also think it's a bit of a chicken and egg problem - N3V may not want to spend much time with them unless more people use them, and more people don't use them until the implementation is a bit better.

As for source files, I believe the source for the built-in junctions was posted some time back; let me see if I can find it. I don't believe anything was posted for Blender, however.
The GMAX files for one of my turnouts is posted at http://www.carsoncarshops.com/files/stub_switch_source.zip

Curtis

Last edited:
norfolksouthern37

The fixed junctions do work with junction signals, however there are some 'catches' (sorry, I've not looked at your signal sets, so this is fairly generalised).

First, only 'automatic' junction signals work (signals that automatically detect a junction using the default system, as seen with some of the old built-in 'US' signals), or junction signals that use 'target' objects to define which track gives which indication (such as those by bloodnok).

If the signal uses script to allow the user to 'select' a junction, then it will not detect the fixed track object, since there is technically no 'junction' lever attached (it's all within that one object). It may be possible to script a junction that can detect this, however that's outside my area really.

It should be noted that junction signals only appear to be updating to reflect the junction state when there is a moving train approaching the junction. If the train is stationary, then it doesn't update at the moment.

Back