It's Shocking!

Drucifer

Member Since 20 Oct 2001
ZAPPED AMTRAK TRESPASSER SUES
by KATHIANNE BONIELLO, NY Post​

A Queens man who survived an electric shock and fire two years ago when he climbed atop an empty, stopped Amtrak train after a night of bar hopping in Boston is suing the railroad - because Amtrak didn't do enough to protect trespassers like him.

Brian Hopkins, 25, of Astoria, was discovered engulfed in flames at about 4 a.m. atop the high-speed Acela train, having been jolted by 27,500 volts from arcing overhead wires.

Hopkins had been visiting friends in Boston when he suddenly proclaimed that he "wanted to get back to New York" and left a friend's house at about 2 a.m., according to published reports at the time of the July 2006 incident.

Hopkins, an architect, apparently tried to pry open one of the parked trains before climbing on top.

He suffered third-degree burns over 85 percent of his body, and doctors have since amputated his left hand and leg, according to the lawsuit filed last month in Brooklyn federal court.

Amtrak "should have known that persons trespassed" in the South Station area where Hopkins was found, he and his parents contend in court papers.

The family claims that Amtrak should have monitored the area, cut off the electricity going to the overhead wires, and even parked its trains somewhere else when they weren't in use.

Amtrak declined to comment on the pending litigation.

kathianne.bonniello@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08312008/news/regionalnews/zapped_amtrak_trespasser_sues_126902.htm

...and I'm sure that the coffee that he bought at McDonalds is too hot. It's a shame what people will sue over in this country and get away with it.

That is just ridiculous, it seems that is exactly what this world is becoming. If it's your fault, find an excuse and sue the place where it happened.

We had one in Arizona where a man sued over unsafe working conditions at the school when he broke both legs falling from the skylight of the gymnasium. Which he was breaking into.
On a brighter note, the judge in another case dismissed a lawsuit a burglar brought against the man he tried to rob. The judge said being shot was a recognized occupational hazard and not actionable.

:cool: Claude

That guy should be greatful to be alive. Not many who get zapped by 27,500 volts or receive 3rd degree burns on 85% of their body live to tell about it. Burn victims as described usually die from complications and infection. I really think this is sad. I have done my fair share of stupid life threating things while drinking (cars wrecks several) fortunately I live to tell about it. I bet this guy doesn't live long enough for the lawsuit to get to court.

Last edited:
That guy should be greatful to be alive. Not many who get zapped by 27,500 volts or receive 3rd degree burns on 85% of their body live to tell about it. Burn victims as described usually die from complications and infection. I really think this is sad. I have done my fair share of stupid life threating things while drinking (cars wrecks several) fortunately I live to tell about it. I bet this guy doesn't live long enough for the lawsuit to get to court.
I get the feeling from the news story, that it's the family bringing the lawsuit. I can't imagine that the party himself is in any condition to start a lawsuit.

Yea .... well mmmmmm ...... there are many silly things that happen and us Aussies often say it "only in America".

Though on this story I am sure I remember something similar in Australia.

I do actually remember one when a guy was breaking into a pub, the owner lived on the premisses and heard the noise and went to investigate. When he saw the man he used "force" to stop him (from memory with a bat) and thus injurying the many who need hospital attention.

The burgler then sued the owner for using "excessive" force and WON :n:

To make matters worse, the burglers mother sued the owner of the pub for the stress she went through with her son's injuries .... and you guessed it she WON.

While the amounts where not large, its just the stupid laws and how they are applied.

Craig
:):):)

Last edited:
...so...who wins...?

:cool: Here in the US-America, the bar owner would have not stepped outside...or if they were inside, not thrown their bums outside.

Amtrak may win or loose, however they can counter sue, if they loose. They could also sue the owners of the bar, and bartenders...they are legally responsible.

Take no prisoners!

:cool: Here in the US-America, the bar owner would have not stepped outside...or if they were inside, not thrown their bums outside.

Amtrak may win or loose, however they can counter sue, if they loose. They could also sue the owners of the bar, and bartenders...they are legally responsible.

Take no prisoners!
I agree with the non-use of excessive force, and the bat may have been seen as excessive. Just call the police and ensure you are safe and not harmed.

It's the mans mother that really got me though, what about a father, brother, sister as well if he had an average family structure, could they sue as well???

Craig

is suing the railroad - because Amtrak didn't do enough to protect trespassers like him.
Only in America and now Australia.

Although un-related to the above, two families (in two separate cases) are suing Connex in a similar situation. But this one happened 10 years ago, and only know attempt to sue.
See Train skylarkers seek compo after losing legs.

I'm not speculating, but interesting how in all three cases, that the so called said "victims" only now start sueing.

I don't like how Connex Melbourne attempts to treat enthusiasts, but Connex, Amtrak (or any company, be it transport related or not) shouldn't have to comment to media, in situations such as these.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the one that happened to my next door neighbours kid ( About my age ) In about year 5 i think this kid ( who is the big tough-y kid) was gonig around hiting everyone with a blow-up hammer right, so the teacher said every kid who he hit gets a free shot... This kid goes home tells his mom and the mum sues the teacher for damages !!!

I agree with the non-use of excessive force, and the bat may have been seen as excessive. Just call the police and ensure you are safe and not harmed.

It's the mans mother that really got me though, what about a father, brother, sister as well if he had an average family structure, could they sue as well???

Craig

It's difficult to determine what is excessive force in the 'heat of the battle'. Unless the incident is witnessed firsthand, then who's to say what really happened?
I'll guarantee that anyone breaking in on me is not in for a pleasant time.

1. And lawyers wonder why they are the worlds most hated profession.

2. What ever happened to the concept of being responsible for your own actions.

Ben

Wow maybe my stupid stepfather should have sued the power company when he decided to climb up a power pole and manage to electrocute himself when he was thirty. (His excuse was that he liked to climb things.):eek:

he survived btw. He became sterile and his leg is really shrived.

I kinda doubt it will ever get to court. Things like this have a tendency to get settled out of court rather then generate all the publicity. Makes no sense of course but thats what happens (McDonalds coffee case for example).

Ben

I kinda doubt it will ever get to court. Things like this have a tendency to get settled out of court rather then generate all the publicity. Makes no sense of course but thats what happens (McDonalds coffee case for example).

Ben

good point. but what more can they do? In the coffee case McDs added a sign to their coffee and started serving it colder. Amtrak already has signs up and it's a little hard to run overhead electric trains with out the electric.

peter

Back