Is the DLS Down Today

Good Morning All
I have reported this to our team for them to look into as soon as possible.

The DLS itself is online (just did a download from it successfully), however it's possible there's an issue elsewhere that may be causing problems.

Regards

Zec:

You have no idea the problems it is causing. TS2012 is useless as it freezes for 15-20 seconds every three or four minutes while it tries to phone home -- and can't. Dumping all those updates onto the DLS and then having this happen is just terrible. I can't even work on routes because of the freezing and stuff.

Pulling the Internet connection is NOT a good idea s other background programs depend on an Internet connection to function properly - especially your OS.

I think that someone should be keeping track of how many hours/days the DLS is down and tack on those missed days to our FCT's.

Bill

I'm in build 49922 - nice sensible, stable pre-SP1 TS12 that has given utterly reliable performance for the last couple of years, so I thought I might be immune to all this 'phone home' nonsense. But apparently not so - last weekend my Content Manager started spending anywhere from 3 to 15 minutes applying filters every time I changed tabs or searched for anything with the dread words, "Please Wait, Applying Filter" appearing.

Today, I noticed the same thing going on in the game itself: attempting to launch a fly-out menu to search for assets would lead to the whole game freezing. While this is going on, TrainzUtil.exe fires off going through the same line for anything up to 15 minutes:
Code:
Scriptlog>Could not resolve native link
CommandHostCallback>TAD_CMDHOST_VALIDATE

Is this a problem of my installation or is it linked to N3V flooding the Download Station with built-in TS12 assets? Interestingly, I notice that many of my TS12 built-ins are reporting new 'installation' dates as and when this thing happens.

Is there a way for Trainz/CM to work offline without the drastic step of unplugging internet access (which as HiBaller says is not really advisable)? Sadly, at the moment I have a game that is becoming unplayable. :(

Paul

You just gotta live with it, Paul. Some unplug the network cable, but that can cause problems with your OS (like not being able to update your clock, or see if there are any updates). Somewhere back in this thread, I saw an enterprising fellow use his firewall to block Trainz and all it's little sub-thingies from accessing the Internet. I haven't tried that, but it could work nicely if done BEFORE you fire up anything Trainz-oriented. I understand that Trainz will then try once and then give up for a much longer period of time as it assume you don't have an Internet connection (which isn't the case for everything else on your computer). It could work.

Bill

You just gotta live with it, Paul. Some unplug the network cable, but that can cause problems with your OS (like not being able to update your clock, or see if there are any updates). Somewhere back in this thread, I saw an enterprising fellow use his firewall to block Trainz and all it's little sub-thingies from accessing the Internet. I haven't tried that, but it could work nicely if done BEFORE you fire up anything Trainz-oriented. I understand that Trainz will then try once and then give up for a much longer period of time as it assume you don't have an Internet connection (which isn't the case for everything else on your computer). It could work.

Bill
Firewall? lazy method used here just tick Proxy server and put an address in the box, I just use an unused IP in the range used by my network 192.168.0.10 that stops it connecting to the web, shut down and restart that stops the internet connection, doesn't stop it validating though until it's finished!

Pull out the TC3's! Grab 2009/10. DRM free is what yeah need to play in times like this if you don't want the wait! :hehe:

Firewall? lazy method used here just tick Proxy server and put an address in the box, I just use an unused IP in the range used by my network 192.168.0.10 that stops it connecting to the web, shut down and restart that stops the internet connection, doesn't stop it validating though until it's finished!

This is a neat idea, Malc.

I was wondering if a loopback address such as 127.0.0.0 work?

I didn't even bother to fire up CM today, because I didn't want to sit through 20,000-plus validations again which I was seeing during the summer. I wish there was a way to prevent this with a effective off switch in the software. It would have been smarter if they relied on the operating system for network services instead of reinventing their own. Don't want to, or can't connect to the network, uncheck a checkbox on the options menu.

John

This is a neat idea, Malc.

I was wondering if a loopback address such as 127.0.0.0 work?

I didn't even bother to fire up CM today, because I didn't want to sit through 20,000-plus validations again which I was seeing during the summer. I wish there was a way to prevent this with a effective off switch in the software. It would have been smarter if they relied on the operating system for network services instead of reinventing their own. Don't want to, or can't connect to the network, uncheck a checkbox on the options menu.

John

Probably should do John as after failing to establish a login on my "proxy" TAD and Trainzutil are connecting to the loopback anyway.

Must be back cause TS12 works fine now. In fact it is busy downloading a bunch of content updates as I type.

Firewall blocking is a simple solution I also used when I had Trainz on a test machine and didn't want it disturbed by Internet traffic. Never caused any issue in Trainz except that CM had a red bar across the bottom saying it couldn't connect. Never had any validation interrupting my fun while off-line either.

It is back, but for how long? Unfortunately, I've set a "late night limit" for Trainzing of 2100. After that, I get yelled at. :)

I thought about a proxy server, and then decided it was just too much trouble. If TS or CM get cranky, then I just go somewhere else - like doing a couple for chapters on one of my novels.

Bill

I feel sorry for all the lemmings that rushed to get Tane.
I have had enough I am dumping all SP1 and TS12 versions completely.
Going back to 2010 and will use my large stock of older assets and not bother with the DLS as I can't get anything to download at all since My Trainz came in.
I have supported this game for 7 years and will never buy another Trainz version.
Cheers,
Mike

I'm in build 49922 - nice sensible, stable pre-SP1 TS12 that has given utterly reliable performance for the last couple of years, so I thought I might be immune to all this 'phone home' nonsense. But apparently not so - last weekend my Content Manager started spending anywhere from 3 to 15 minutes applying filters every time I changed tabs or searched for anything with the dread words, "Please Wait, Applying Filter" appearing.

Today, I noticed the same thing going on in the game itself: attempting to launch a fly-out menu to search for assets would lead to the whole game freezing. While this is going on, TrainzUtil.exe fires off going through the same line for anything up to 15 minutes:
Code:
Scriptlog>Could not resolve native link
CommandHostCallback>TAD_CMDHOST_VALIDATE

Is this a problem of my installation or is it linked to N3V flooding the Download Station with built-in TS12 assets? Interestingly, I notice that many of my TS12 built-ins are reporting new 'installation' dates as and when this thing happens.

Is there a way for Trainz/CM to work offline without the drastic step of unplugging internet access (which as HiBaller says is not really advisable)? Sadly, at the moment I have a game that is becoming unplayable. :(

Paul

In addition to my patched version I also have a 49922 build running which never seemed to have any validation problems. But like you for the last few weeks I too have noticed that TrainzUtils has started validations even though Taddaemon does not. The Trainzutil window seems to only spend about four minutes doing only a relatively small number of validations with the message you give then stops and opens a new window and starts all over again. This as you say lasts about 15min.

Looks like N3V have found a way to mess with customers unpatched versions of Trainz.

It isn't unheard of. Companies with new products sometimes go behind the scenes and trash their older products to "make way" for their new ones. Unfortunately, a by-product of that is creddy performance of existing versions. Look what Microsoft does on a daily basis. I can just imagine the powers that be at N3V sitting around the boardroom table rubbing their hands together and asking "well, we've messed up the DLS, now what do we want to do?"

Bill

In addition to my patched version I also have a 49922 build running which never seemed to have any validation problems. But like you for the last few weeks I too have noticed that TrainzUtils has started validations even though Taddaemon does not. The Trainzutil window seems to only spend about four minutes doing only a relatively small number of validations with the message you give then stops and opens a new window and starts all over again. This as you say lasts about 15min.

Looks like N3V have found a way to mess with customers unpatched versions of Trainz.

I don't think they've messed with things. It's more like this was happening all along but we weren't impacted by the problem as much until now. With SP1 we are now seeing the validation messages which were suppressed (never displayed) before in both TS2010 and preSP1 TS12.

Unfortunately this messaging which we've grown to love or hate, goes away in the TANE implementation of CE so anything can happen and we'll never know about it.

John

Simple expediency, John. If enough people complain about something, then hide it where they can't see it happening. problem solved. :)

Bill

Simple expediency, John. If enough people complain about something, then hide it where they can't see it happening. problem solved. :)

Bill

Yup. I noticed that too.

The DLS is still acting weird though even now. Some things download while others hang with access errors to the first class server.

John

I don't know whether it is a related problem, but assets that were 'Available for Download' in CM for TANE-CE yesterday (23 Jan/15) but couldn't be downloaded because "were not found on the server" now show up with 'Unknown location'. Seems they're working on it, but of course still no downloads...

Unable to download from CM or DLS. Tried Trainz 2006, 2010 and 2012 nothing will download have had this for 4 days now.

Back