If I put up a chat server would anyone use it?

mrscsi

Happily Retired
I know once upon a time when Auran had the IRC server up we used to have a pretty good community (30-40 people) at times on it. Since i have the server space and bandwidth etc I thought about putting up a php chatroom but I am not going to take the time if it is gonna sit empty...

So let me know if you would use it and if I get 10 people who tell me they will I'll put the thing up...

someone else made one shortly after the official one went down, we advertised it a fair bit here; but no one really ever came to it. As far as I know (give me a bit and I'll check) it is still there.

server: irc.austchat.net
room: #trainz

peter

Edit: yes its there, and there are a couple trainzers there (looking like they are idling)

Last edited:
someone else made one shortly after the official one went down, we advertised it a fair bit here; but no one really ever came to it. As far as I know (give me a bit and I'll check) it is still there.

server: irc.austchat.net
room: #trainz

peter

Edit: yes its there, and there are a couple trainzers there (looking like they are idling)

Well i was going to use a php web based chat server. It has some IRC functionality but IRC has and always will be very unstable due to the need to sync over multiple servers.

I'll put one up and you guys can play with it and we'll see how it goes...

Well i was going to use a php web based chat server. It has some IRC functionality but IRC has and always will be very unstable due to the need to sync over multiple servers.

I'll put one up and you guys can play with it and we'll see how it goes...

I don't know the ins and outs of chat servers; however in the years I've spent in various IRC chat rooms on various servers I never once had issues due to the server(s) not being stable and needing to sync.

peter

PS: well count me out if it's gonna be web-based. No way in hell am I gonna sit on around with my internet browser open for a chat room!

Last edited:
Have you guys thought about using a voice chat system, such as Teamspeak or Ventrillo?

Instead of typing you speak and listen as you would a party phoneline.

Just a thought :)

I don't know the ins and outs of chat servers; however in the years I've spent in various IRC chat rooms on various servers I never once had issues due to the server(s) not being stable and needing to sync.

peter

PS: well count me out if it's gonna be web-based. No way in hell am I gonna sit on around with my internet browser open for a chat room!

Can't believe you've never seen a server split on the IRC :D

I only offered because...

1. I have the server software left over from another project...

2. I have the virtual server with unlimited bandwidth (for all intents and purposes anyway)

I find it is harder to try and explain IRC to someone who isn't as old as dirt (like we are) than it is to just point them to a page...

But anyway I looked at IRC server software and about the only one still being developed is OfficeIRc and it is 5 bills so I'll have to use what I got...

I put the php chat online at http://trainz.vandalproductions.com the first thing you will see is the login screen. You can log on as a guest or you can register. To register you need to provide an email address in valid email format. Now I don't want your email, don't care about your email etc. but the script requires it to register your nick so if you want to register your nickname so no one else can use it then go through the registration and just use a made up email address (if you are paranoid and can REMEMBER your password) or use a real email (if you ever forget your password)...

I may or may not be on there, I am not gonna promise anything...

If some of you want to be moderators just tell me and we will see what we can work out...

you aparently didn't look to hard...

1st off; one can fairly easily set up a www.mibbit.com web interface onto a website giving you a simple logon option (so I'm told by a couple friends, I haven't done it personally).

And OfficeIRC, isn't the only one still around, Inspire IRCd just released an update in September of last year (and it has a GPL license), and a number more; you can get a full listing and see how they compare to each other here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_Relay_Chat_daemons

oeter

Well my host will not allow an IRC server even on a virtual server...

Here is their answer...

"We do not allow IRC, even on a dedicated server. The reason is because IRC attracts server attacks. (People join the chat, insult each other, and the attacks start.)"

So it is php or nothing...

I might speak to the team and see if we can setup a PHP based chat server (rather than IRC). It may be easier for us to setup... :)

I noticed a PHP chat system was available on my new host the other day, and also had this idea...

Zec

I might speak to the team and see if we can setup a PHP based chat server (rather than IRC). It may be easier for us to setup... :)

I noticed a PHP chat system was available on my new host the other day, and also had this idea...

Zec

That's what i setup just a while ago...

I had purchased it last year for a project that never materialized so I just put the script up...

The free scripts work ok but this one has a lot of irc functionality for moderators and admins and has a registration system that allows users to lock in their nicknames...

mrscsi,

I hate to say this, but since you set this chat room up, I have only seen you, Jacobchgo19, S301 and me online. I would really like to see more people use it.

Last edited:
Back