Idea for a Monorail Project

mawilson

Former Railie
Here is an interesting idea for a Trainz monorail project:
http://www.fiordlandlink.com/

Features several alignments of 40-45km of single beam with up to four passing sections, two "intermodal" stations, and some seriously interesting scenery. Out in the sticks so not much geospecific urban modeling required. Scripting opportunity to run 4 monorails simultaneously and operating switches for the passing sections.

The proposal also describes a low impact construction method using previously constructed beam to carry new beam sections then extend the new section out to the next pylon. I've often wondered why more beam isn't done that way.

It might be best if someone in the general vicinity (at least the same side of the globe) took a shot at it since they would be more familiar with the terrain, geology and flora of the area.

I agree. This would make a heck of a project. Those are some serious mountains to contend with and short-radius curves can't exist so I see soaring bridges over streams along with some spectacular scenery. If it started with DEM, the results would be really great.

Bill

... setting aside a Northbay-esque NG project for the moment...

Looking into it a bit more, I might just take a shot at it anyway. Can someone point me to the approprate mapping data to create the terrain, locate hydro and man-made features? Closest I've been to the actual site is Melbourne. Is there someone in NZ who might be able to help collecting data and validating the results?

HiBaller: Bombardier MkIV-VII monorails can handle curves down to 400' radius, considerably tighter than typical mainlines.

Last edited:
I didn't know that. I should because I've worked with Bombardier engineers on the monorail down in Jacksonville, Florida. My company setup all the visible signs that announced oncoming/departing trains and the computer systems that run them.

For good Australian DEM, try this site:

http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM3/Australia/

If you get stuck, I can take a whack at making the DEM for you; but I'd have to know the bounding box you are interested in (I.E. the geographical coordinates of all four corners).

Bill

Back