how to make a sky?

David111767

30in and Rack Railway Guy
i have all these amazing pics that would make great skies for trainz but i don't know how to make a sky

any help would be appreciated :D

It is actually quite easy. A sky is just a 256 x 256 pixel .bmp file. You need three versions of it: a daytime sky, a stormy sky (darker) and a nighttime sky (darkest version). If you download one of my skies, such as "GF_Sky02" and open it up you will find a short config file which you are free to copy, just changing the filenames and kuid numbers. Also copy and reuse the texture files, changing the filenames as needed.

The tricky part is the .bmp image, which must tile perfectly or you will have strange lines moving in the sky as Trainz displays several tiled copies of the image at a time.

Trs handles .tga files better than .bmp and the image can be in multiples of 256, but I would make 1024x1024 the largest as that is a 3meg .tga file :eek:
What I do now is to make the 'Day' sky a 24bit 1024x1024 tga and the 'storm' and 'night' both 512x512 16bit tga.
With the night sky you have to be aware that black is transparent and shows stars, this can make some night skies look a bit wierd, its not hard to overcome once you are aware of it.
As gfisher says the hard part is to make the tiles seamless and still look good, also watch that the image you use isn't a light blue at the bottom and a darker and richer blue at the top, most sky images are like this, try to even it out a lot before you make it seamless.

Cheers David

Back