How to exclude waste margin baseboards in TransDEM when exporting route?

I am, indeed. And I thought my Trainz user name would be known all over the place. :wave:

By default, the location of the crashdumps is:
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\CrashRpt\UnsentCrashReports\TransDEM Trainz Edition (64bit)_Version 2.6.0.2
It certainly has many options and features. I know it can be overwhelming. And it's definitely easier with some background in this field, particularly if you have special requirements, like crossing UTM zone borders, even unintentionally. :cool:

You assume too much sir when expecting a forum user who hasn't seen your posts here before to guess that "geophil" somehow equates to Roland Zeigler which is what you have on all your product emails :)

BTW I have sent you the dump files as you have requested.

As you say the complexity necessary to allow such mapping does translates into a variety of features that can be overwhelming to a first time user of your app - even when going through the provided tutorials. Sometimes having a huge number of options to choose from is not always the best thing when a user has no idea which is better in the first place.

For me it finally came down to realizing through trial and error that in broad terms it was a four step process:

1. Produce a raster map from one of the provided tile servers.
2. Bring in the DEMs and overlay them on the raster map.
3. Use polylines to trace the rail route you want on the raster map. This step is essential in order to trim the baseboards down to a more manageable overall total. It took me a while to realize the importance of this step and why it was needed. FYI I use a setting of three base boards on either side of the polyline and then trim down those manually in Trainz surveyor.
4. Export the route to Trainz content manager where you can work import it and then work with it in Surveyor.

I am still experimenting with which raster map tile server works best for Trainz. For a variety of reasons I tend to favor the USGS Topo map server and its 1:24K maps which have a lot of detail.

Bob

Back