How to exclude waste margin baseboards in TransDEM when exporting route?

MSGSapper

Trainz route developer
I have been able to successfully export a good sized irregular shaped GeoRef. raster map with DEM to T:ANE as a route. The USGS topo map and DEM elevations show well on the baseboards.

No matter what I do however I still end up with a huge number of "waste" baseboards that will need to be deleted one at a time. The waste baseboards appear to be the black margin areas shown for the map in TransDEM. I have trimmed the DEM so only that which overlays the raster maps shows in the TrasnDEM display with everything else black.

I have tried using a rectangular mask but still end up with a huge number of the waste baseboards. Is there any way to get TransDEM to not export those waste baseboards in the first place or am I doomed to having to manually delete many hundreds of them one at a time?

FYI I am using TransDEM Trainz Edition (64 bit) Version 2.6.0.2.

The raster map came from using the "USA Topo" provider in the map tile server. Tile type was the "1:24K Raster"

Bob

MSGSapper:
What i do is lay down the route track with the Simple Route Editor following the route on the topo maps. Then you can upload to Trainz with the option of how many baseboards you want on each side of the track. Hope this makes sense to you.

I would suggest trimming it down to @ 8 baseboards on each side of the track, if the terrain is very interesting, as the draw distance is pretty far in TS12 and T:ANE ... as trimming it down to close to the track you may see cut edges ... I can't seem to be able to part with some of my extra terrain 4 baseboards on each side of the track

MSGSapper:
What i do is lay down the route track with the Simple Route Editor following the route on the topo maps. Then you can upload to Trainz with the option of how many baseboards you want on each side of the track. Hope this makes sense to you.

Thanks, that did the trick!

I drew a polyline where the track was located using the simple route editor and then set the route exporter to trim 3 baseboards to each side. When the route was exported to Trainz all the excess baseboards were gone. This technique made a big difference in the amount of cleanup work needed for this map.....

Bob

I'm glad this worked for you, Bob. The only time you have to be careful with this method is when the line goes through a mountainous region where the automatic trimming may end up cutting through a hill in advertently causing holes that can't be patched without a lot of difficulty. In cases like this it's best to create a larger than needed region and then manually trim as needed.

I'm glad this worked for you, Bob. The only time you have to be careful with this method is when the line goes through a mountainous region where the automatic trimming may end up cutting through a hill in advertently causing holes that can't be patched without a lot of difficulty. In cases like this it's best to create a larger than needed region and then manually trim as needed.

Thanks for the extra information and tip!

Bob

As a general rule I generate the Trainz map to 4 baseboards either side of a route. The idea is to catch higher terrain as borders to the route. In very hilly or mountainous terrain I use the polyline tool to catch distant heights if they are at the edge of the 4 baseboard limit; thus extending the map to catch those heights. This can add eye catching drama and perspective to a route; especially on prototype layouts.
A careful study of your topos, prior to generating the Trainz map can lead to very satisfying results. However, there is no way avoid the task of deleting boards; although you can certainly minimize it. As noted above, the Simple Route Editor, used in conjunction with the route exporter baseboard tool is the way to go.

I keep getting the following error in TransDEM when trying to open a previously saved DEM onto my GeoRef. raster map:

"UTM zone 12S of DEM does not match UTM zone 11S of raster map(s)"

This DEM I am trying to open was built with multiple DEMs from:

http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM3/North_America/

I haven't a clue to what this error is or why it's happening. Anyone got a solution to this?

Bob

Bob,

The sad news is there's a typographic error created by whoever scanned and created the Geo-referenced images in the first place. I ran into the same situation with a map I worked on. I resorted to downloading modern maps for the region rather than attempting to use the scanned GEO-PDF maps.

How does one watch their Trainz ?

Do you pace the train from above, like looking down from a chase helicopter ? (I absolutely despise this viewing mode)

Do you view, looking slightly downward from a bridge, or embankment ?

Do you view from the ground, looking straight ahead, from the FOV from a 5' 6" persons eye height ?

Do you view from static, or rotating tracking cameras, which are slightly zoomed out, and are slightly facing downward ?

If the answer is YES, You really don't need a distant 8 baseboard swath on each side of the tracks

If you built a route from Harrisburg PA to Johnstown PA, the gnd file would be @ 1 GB, or much, much, more ... and the route would not be exportable by "Save As CDP", nor would it be importable into anyone else's Trainz installation, as the gnd file would be much too big

I have come to the conclusion that a swath of land, 2 baseboards wide, on each side of the track, is all that most people need (except for "Mezzoprezzo the Great", with his towering vistas) !

Very rarely when railfaning a train, does one get a view greater than 1 mile, and 2 baseboards is @ 0.89 miles, which is a pretty distant horizon.

What is the maximum draw distance in 09, 10, 12, T:ANE ?

Last edited:
Bob,

The sad news is there's a typographic error created by whoever scanned and created the Geo-referenced images in the first place. I ran into the same situation with a map I worked on. I resorted to downloading modern maps for the region rather than attempting to use the scanned GEO-PDF maps.

That explains why I didn't get this issue in another area of the country (Two Harbors, MN area) which I generated a TransDEM route for.

The error just occurs with this new map I am making of the area between Barstow, CA and Seligman, AZ. The raster maps are from the "USA Topo" provider (1:24K Raster) map tile server. I prefer the USA Top raster maps, but in this case I guess I will have to try a different provider........

Thanks for the reply!

Bob

UTM zone transformation

I keep getting the following error in TransDEM when trying to open a previously saved DEM onto my GeoRef. raster map:

"UTM zone 12S of DEM does not match UTM zone 11S of raster map(s)"

This DEM I am trying to open was built with multiple DEMs from:

http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM3/North_America/

I haven't a clue to what this error is or why it's happening. Anyone got a solution to this?

Bob

Bob, open the DEM alone, without any raster maps, and try to apply "Transform UTM zone" to your DEM (toolbar button or via the Edit menu). If it offers you to transform to UTM zone 11, you will have matching zones again. Or, alternatively, load the DEM first and the georef raster map(s) afterwards. It will also offer you to transform the UTM zone, but this time for the raster map(s).

Background:

Planet Earth has a curved surface, but Trainz - as most other railway simulations - works with a flat model for the landscape. Mathematically we call the one in Trainz a Cartesian system. To get from one to the other, i.e. to flatten the surface of our planet is like peeling an orange and flattening the peel. You will hereby inevitably tear it and get your fingers wet. For the planet we call this procedure a map projection. It makes the surface flat, but it comes at a cost: The flat region will be limited in size. The map projection in TransDEM is called UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator), the most widely used when it comes to large scale topography. With UTM, the flat regions are called zones. Each zone is 6 degrees longitude wide, making it 60 zones in total for the 360 degrees full circle along the equator.

TransDEM converts all geo data to the "native" zone for each geographic location. However, if you combine DEM files with the Add function, and the two DEMs reside in different UTM zones, the zone of the first DEM will prevail. That's how you usually end up with different UTM zones for DEM and raster maps.

This means you can extend UTM zones with TransDEM. Distortion will increase but we still won't notice it (for our purposes). The two methods shown in the first paragraph help you to manage UTM zones. Please note: These functions are limited to adjacent zones.

Bob, open the DEM alone, without any raster maps, and try to apply "Transform UTM zone" to your DEM (toolbar button or via the Edit menu). If it offers you to transform to UTM zone 11, you will have matching zones again. Or, alternatively, load the DEM first and the georef raster map(s) afterwards. It will also offer you to transform the UTM zone, but this time for the raster map(s).

Thanks for the reply/help but neither method worked for me.

Method 1: "open the DEM alone, without any raster maps, and try to apply "Transform UTM zone" to your DEM (toolbar button or via the Edit menu). If it offers you to transform to UTM zone 11, you will have matching zones again"

Result: I transformed the DEM as you said but attempts to apply the transformed DEM to the raster map ended up displaying the error: "UTM zone 13S of DEM does not match zone 11S of raster map."

Method 2: "load the DEM first and the georef raster map(s) afterwards. It will also offer you to transform the UTM zone, but this time for the raster map(s)"

Result: TransDEM started the transformation process but after a while crashed the application.

Looks like I will have to use a different provider for the tiled map server then the one I originally chose as someone suggested above. Oh bother..... :)

Bob

Result: I transformed the DEM as you said but attempts to apply the transformed DEM to the raster map ended up displaying the error: "UTM zone 13S of DEM does not match zone 11S of raster map."
It converted to zone 13 then, not 11. That will happen if the combined DEM is closer to the border of 12/13 than 11/12.

Result: TransDEM started the transformation process but after a while crashed the application.
Not good. Which version of TransDEM are you using? If 2.6 you could send me the dump file.

Looks like I will have to use a different provider for the tiled map server then the one I originally chose as someone suggested above.
Won't solve the problem. It is the east/west extension of your route, either by intention or erroneously. The combined DEM appears to be stretching over more than one UTM zone, maybe even two, and that would mean quite a long route. Can you tell me the eastern- and westernmost points of your route? And which SRTM DEM files did you merge with the Add function?

It converted to zone 13 then, not 11. That will happen if the combined DEM is closer to the border of 12/13 than 11/12. Not good. Which version of TransDEM are you using? If 2.6 you could send me the dump file. Won't solve the problem. It is the east/west extension of your route, either by intention or erroneously. The combined DEM appears to be stretching over more than one UTM zone, maybe even two, and that would mean quite a long route. Can you tell me the eastern- and westernmost points of your route? And which SRTM DEM files did you merge with the Add function?

I am using the latest version of TransDEM Trainz Edition (64 bit) 2.6.0.2.

The map I am trying to generate follows the rail line from Westernmost= Barstow, California to Easternmost = Seligman, Arizona.

BTW I got rid of the original problem map and just finished doing a new map using the "Google Maps" Map Tile Server (Tile type = Combined) to generate a new raster map when I got your post. From what you are telling me perhaps I am wasting my time on this particular map....

Bob

I am using the latest version of TransDEM Trainz Edition (64 bit) 2.6.0.2.
Could you send me the crash dump file then, for analysis of the error?

The map I am trying to generate follows the rail line from Westernmost= Barstow, California to Easternmost = Seligman, Arizona.
Barstow is in UTM zone 11, Seligman in UTM zone 12, but most of the route lies in zone 11. The border between the two zones is West 114°, near Kingman. (Many years ago I visited this area myself and drove along parts of the Needles and Seligman Subs.)

For minimal distortion the entire route should be placed in zone 11, but it will also work when put in zone 12 instead. To make sure you remain in zone 11, start with the westernmost DEM (N34W118) and add the other DEMs from there.

BTW I got rid of the original problem map and just finished doing a new map using the "Google Maps" Map Tile Server (Tile type = Combined) to generate a new raster map when I got your post.

That's what the Map Tile client will do for you automatically, with every provider. It takes the current UTM zone in the TransDEM main window as a reference and converts all map tiles to this zone.

I suggest to compare the different map providers. If you go for the 5m terrain grid in Trainz, have a look at USA Topo, 1:24k Raster. It's ideal for ground texturing.

Could you send me the crash dump file then, for analysis of the error? Barstow is in UTM zone 11, Seligman in UTM zone 12, but most of the route lies in zone 11. The border between the two zones is West 114°, near Kingman. (Many years ago I visited this area myself and drove along parts of the Needles and Seligman Subs.) For minimal distortion the entire route should be placed in zone 11, but it will also work when put in zone 12 instead. To make sure you remain in zone 11, start with the westernmost DEM (N34W118) and add the other DEMs from there. That's what the Map Tile client will do for you automatically, with every provider. It takes the current UTM zone in the TransDEM main window as a reference and converts all map tiles to this zone. I suggest to compare the different map providers. If you go for the 5m terrain grid in Trainz, have a look at USA Topo, 1:24k Raster. It's ideal for ground texturing.

Thanks for the information, help and tips. I can send you the crash reports (English and German) but not sure who to send it to. Are you Roland Ziegler? Your Forum profile here doesn't indicate who you really are.....

While I am retired currently in the Arkansas Ozarks area I have been in the area of Barstow a number of times in my life and driven I40 from Barstow eastwards several times following that rail route fairly closely. Its a great high traffic route that deserves to be done and I am considering it for sometime in the future, probably late 2017 or early 2018, after I complete the DM&IR Two Harbors Iron Range route I am currently designing.

TransDEM is a great program but rather complicated for someone not used to mapping software, and I was once a Windows Software engineer so I don't say complicated lightly. I only use it every few years so tend to forget how to use it and have to re-learn it all over again each time. So this time I want to generate several maps for Western USA routes I might do in the next few years at the same time while my knowledge of TransDEM is fairly fresh.

Bob

Are you Roland Ziegler?
I am, indeed. And I thought my Trainz user name would be known all over the place. :wave:

By default, the location of the crashdumps is:
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\CrashRpt\UnsentCrashReports\TransDEM Trainz Edition (64bit)_Version 2.6.0.2

While I am retired currently in the Arkansas Ozarks area I have been in the area of Barstow a number of times in my life and driven I40 from Barstow eastwards several times following that rail route fairly closely.
I followed the Santa Fe most of the way from Chicago to California, by road, on various trips, and did sections of it by Amtrak. Two linesiding shots from New Mexico, near Grants and near Willard, taken 8 or 9 years ago:

TransDEM is a great program but rather complicated for someone not used to mapping software
It certainly has many options and features. I know it can be overwhelming. And it's definitely easier with some background in this field, particularly if you have special requirements, like crossing UTM zone borders, even unintentionally. :cool:

Back