How can you edit built in content?

CPman117

i am extremely unhappy with the built in Y6B so i want to edit it to have proper sounds but every time i do it keeps going insanely faulty please help

The trouble with built in assets are auran hides any faults, but you open for edit and they show. Clone it first then prepare for a lot of work.

It's not that built-ins 'hide' faults, it's that built-ins are handled differently by the program and have different requirements. As soon as you clone a built-in asset it becomes a 3rd party asset - it has your kuid - and is handled differently. Even if you just open > edit > commit the built-in asset becomes 'locally modified' which is treated as 3rd party.

The most common 'error' when cloning built-ins is the missing texture.txt which is a requirement for all 3rd party content but not for built-ins. The error can be fixed at the click of a mouse button with PEV's Images2tga tool. Search the forum for posts by PEV and you will find a link to his website....

Last edited:
After downloading version 1.15 of Images2TGA.zip, unzip it then run it to install the software and to automatically add an Images2TGA.bat file in your TS12\bin\CMPData\tools\OpenWith folder. To use the utility find the asset you want to convert in CM, right click it and select Open with Images2TGA.bat and all files of the type xxx.texture will be converted into two files, xxx.tga and xxx.texture.txt.

Bob Weber

ive done what you said and it still has the same errors im really starting to doubt Auran since you cant edit built in content

ok ive fixed all the missing files except for this one Error: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'shadow/black.texture'.
ive done the same as i did to fix the missing files but it will not work with this one

OK - firstly, check that there is indeed a black.texture file in the folder (I'm suprised that Images2TGA didn't sort it out for you)

Shane

ok I know im bumbing a thread, but I have a question on the topic. How can i even open built in content to edit it in the first place? Everytime I try to clone is says im not authorized to do so.

That will not work if the content is locked to prevent editing - some built-in content simply cannot be opened for edit.

Shane

Yes ... there is a code that you type into a config file ... watch out ... if you type it in, even the creator can't get inside his own assets

Back