Here's another fine mess I've gotten myself into....

In preparation for the upcoming SP2 update, I was copying some folders to my unused K drive. The version (84204) of TANE I currently use is on my J drive ( SSD ). When I navigated over to it, I found that it did not look right. The TANE version that I am currently using ( Build 84204 ) seems to be in the Trainz a new era folder inside another folder with the same name. IIRC, I downloaded the off-line installer then installed it in the sub folder. I seem to have an excess of folders. :confused:

Should I make the routes that I am working on .CDP, then do a clean install ? I think sorting thru all the duplicate folders would be a PITA. :eek:

Thanks, Durff

PS: the TANE folder is 94.5GB, which seems quite large

Screen shots:

These files; https://flic.kr/p/TeBYYo are inside this folder: https://flic.kr/p/TeBXTC

Last edited:
First don't delete anything yet!

The 94GB is all your data + the program, twice it seems.

If you look at your second image, you will see that you have a folder called Trainz a new era.

This contains your assets.tdx and a bunch of folders including local, etc. This is all your data.

The lower, Trainz a New Era, contains the program plus all of the above a second time.

I would:

1) keep everything as is as a backup.

2) Copy this folder-mess again and do this: (so you have a backup in case things get messed up)

a) Rename the Trainz a New Era folder to TANE program.

b) move this new folder (TANE program) to the top-level (root) of your hard drive then

Clean out all other folders but data and resources.

Clean out assets.tdx, crash dump, and keystore.tdx.

This should leave you with a fresh clean copy of T:ANE to work with.

The Trainz a new era (note lower case) is actually your data folder only now.

I would (recommended) rename that to T:ANE_DATA so you know what it is.

Now you can reconnect things again by going to the TANE program folder, and creating a short-cut to tane.exe, and place that on your desktop or somewhere.

Start up T:ANE

When the Launcher shows up, go into settings, and Install and reconnect your data to the program

You will have to put in your username, password, and resetup everything else like screen layout, draw distance, etc., but it's all intact.

Hope this helps.

You probably can't tell I did something like this before... :eek:

Last edited:
JCitron:

Thanks for your reply. Well... that worked, sort of. I did wind up with a clean install. Now my .CDP I had wrapped up for the route I was working on won't open. I let it sit last night while I watched a couple of hours of TV and it still didn't open. Interestingly enough, when I imported it back into the "new" TANE install, it showed up faulty. So, I right clicked on it and there were 1350 missing assets ! I clicked "download" and it found most of them on the DLS. I think I will just re-DL the route from the DLS and add my other merged route back to it. Seems easier than all the hunting & pecking.

When SP2 is released, I think I'll do a clean install of 84204 and go from there.

Thanks, again, Durff

I'm glad you got stuff unknotted sort of.

By the sounds of it, your "new setup" has created a new data folder set. This will cause any previous routes imported to have missing dependencies. At this point, however, I would leave things as they are and I too would setup a fresh install at this point as well when the update comes out.

You've got things confused a bit still who knows what further mess you'll have afterwards since you won't know if it's a new version issue or the results of your messy installation.

You're welcome.

John

Back