Help with survetor

Signalman65

I have been at this for some time, and I am still having trouble getting roads, track and ground together. It is easy to level the ground, but how do you get the ground to follow a slop. I can set the height of the track or roads on each end of a length and use the smooth tool to make ground the same, but how do you get the rest of the ground to the sides to the same height. I can not find a tool that will raise or lower the ground on a angle. For example on my map in my home town main street is level up town, but the northern end slopes down from 213 meters to 205 meters. The road I can set to the correct slop and bring the ground to the same slop, but the rest stays where it was. Any Help appreciated thank you.

Probably easiest is to use a spline object (like the road only maybe wider) or a series of them and level the ground as you did for the road. Delete the surplus objects when done.

Alternatively, on the "Topology" tab (The top one of all the tabs, that you use for ground height) click "Advanced" and then where it says "<None>" use the little arrows to select "Slope" You then have to mess around with the "Threshold" and "Direction" values and use the red box to mark the area that you want to work with, takes a bit of practice.

Probably easiest is to use a spline object (like the road only maybe wider) or a series of them and level the ground as you did for the road. Delete the surplus objects when done.

Alternatively, on the "Topology" tab (The top one of all the tabs, that you use for ground height) click "Advanced" and then where it says "<None>" use the little arrows to select "Slope" You then have to mess around with the "Threshold" and "Direction" values and use the red box to mark the area that you want to work with, takes a bit of practice.
Thanks I tried both those the best I got was the first one, but still a lot of monkeying around. The second one just gave me a deep sloping hole, could not figure how to control the depth.

Tutorial

It's best to create the landscape first, then add roads and tracks.

You need to learn how to use the topology tools which take a while to get the hang of. Stick at it though and it will pay off. We all got the holes and spikes at the beginning!

Try this video made by the Trainz team which will give you the basics.

It's best to create the landscape first, then add roads and tracks.

You need to learn how to use the topology tools which take a while to get the hang of. Stick at it though and it will pay off. We all got the holes and spikes at the beginning!

Try this video made by the Trainz team which will give you the basics.
I created my map and landscape some time ago, before ever putting any track or roads on it. But the data is not that fine to show the true lay of the land. Slight difference of elevation of streets from one end to another. I don't get holes or spikes that you are referring to anymore. The only hole I got was using the displacement slop.bmp in Topology tools, where the only controls seem to be threshold & direction. I don't see anyway of setting each end of the slop height in the advanced tools.

You can make your own displacement .bmp using Surveyor, it's a while since I did this so I can't remember the details but it's done in the "Advanced" fly-out menu. Basically what you do is create one slope of the size and gradient you want (maybe using a spline asset) and then copy it and get it in the list of displacements. You then have a template with the correct slope and you can apply this to a larger (wider or longer) area if you want.

G'day Signalman65,

The one suggestion that hasn't yet been made to solve your problem, "Big G", since you appear to be creating a prototypical route (..."...For example on my map in my home town main street is level up town, but the northern end slopes down from 213 meters to 205 meters..."...), is to use TransDEM to create the terrain for you. This program will allow you to procure the ACTUAL Digital terrain data for the area you are covering and automatically create the correct files to have the terrain in Trainz match that data. It's almost magic...

Jerker {:)} (another former Signalman, not quite 65)

I agree with Jerker about Transdem it's an excellent program and well worth the money but the accuracy of the end result depends on the resolution of the source data you can get for your geographical area. In the UK for example the resolution of the free OS Landform Panorama data is 50 metres (about 165 feet) and this as I have found is not good enough for accurate prototype route construction and needs a lot of additional work. Data at 5m and 10m resolutions is available but is not free, in fact it's very expensive (I'm talking hundreds, if not thousands of GB Pounds for a part set). I have no idea what free, or affordable, data is available for the US and AUS - you could find on the Net or out by asking on the Transdem Forums http://forum.transdem.de/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=4222c89f6dd23f3faa4c55b8d81c2869 .

Guys when I started my two routes was back right after I bought TRS 2004. So it had to be after 2004 since I never buy a new program until it has been out for a while. At that time there was no TransDEM, we went on line and down loaded the Tiger and other file from USGS or something like that, and used them with HOG to generate the maps. They showed the changes in elevation, and gave the locations of the tracks, roads, and water, in green, red, and blue. I worked on the harbor area first where the land was all flat. There was a lot of work there with two sorting yards, and other tracks running all over the place. Plus bridges and other buildings that didn’t exist on the DL station. I had to put off doing any thing else until I learned how to make what I needed with Gmax, so I am not a novice at this. I was 68 years old when I started and I am 76 now, well 77 next month. It was only recently that I started back working on my Home Town route, I had been working mostly on My Walt Disney World Route. I bought the TransDEM program, but have not got around to trying it out. Mainly because it doesn’t tell me in the tut’s how to get the files I need to use with TransDEM. It has been a while since I made a map, and I don’t remember everything I did at that time. Besides how would you like to start all over with a different map, and reinstall all that track, roads, and other content? All I wanted to know was if some one out there knew a easier way of making slops. The bmp’s in surveyor only works in line with the grid, and where I need the slop is not conveniently in line with the grid. Making my own would not help either for the same reason. It’s as bad as trying to bring a sloping bank up close enough to the bridge abutment with out the ground coming up in the road under the bridge. Well this is longer then I intended so I will end here, Thanks for trying to help.

With the sensitivity set to minimum (or slightly higher), and the radius set to minimum ... you tug up and down on 4 corners of a grid square. It is all done manually, by hand, , and sometimes in wireframe mode (with the time of day set to an eye pleasing, semi sweet Hershey's brown chocolate color).

There are wide roads, that can be placed on upward angles, and when you "smooth spline" it makes a wider slope, than single track would make.

I bought the TransDEM program, but have not got around to trying it out. Mainly because it doesn’t tell me in the tut’s how to get the files I need to use with TransDEM.
When did you buy TransDEM? I am asking this because the more recent versions have a chapter "Quick Start Guide" in the manuals which acts as a guideline for the other tutorials. Sort of "Ariadne's Thread".

For the US route there is more than one option. The "Quick Start Guide" will suggest Open Street Maps and SRTM DEM data, which is indeed the quickest way. Once you are familiar with the procedure I recommend USGS NED DEM because of its superior resolution and USGS 1:24k topo maps via WMS because of their level of detail.

When did you buy TransDEM? I am asking this because the more recent versions have a chapter "Quick Start Guide" in the manuals which acts as a guideline for the other tutorials. Sort of "Ariadne's Thread".

For the US route there is more than one option. The "Quick Start Guide" will suggest Open Street Maps and SRTM DEM data, which is indeed the quickest way. Once you are familiar with the procedure I recommend USGS NED DEM because of its superior resolution and USGS 1:24k topo maps via WMS because of their level of detail.
I don't remember when I bought TransDEM in the program it shows version 2.2.0.0 copyright 2004-2011. I did not see a manual. I have Making Mountains Program and tutorials, and Trainz Tutorial- Detailed Google Earth Images as Ground Textures Via TransDEM version 2.1.3.1 I will look and see if I can find a manual.

I don't remember when I bought TransDEM in the program it shows version 2.2.0.0 copyright 2004-2011. I did not see a manual. I have Making Mountains Program and tutorials, and Trainz Tutorial- Detailed Google Earth Images as Ground Textures Via TransDEM version 2.1.3.1 I will look and see if I can find a manual.

Version 2.2 has the "Quick Start Guide". TransDEM comes with two pdf manuals, one for the general geo data stuff, one for Trainz-specific functionality. They are quite detailed. (My original delivery email would have pointed them out to you, but don't blame yourself for not reading that. Quite a few people miss these hints without doing so intentionally.)

You can open the manuals from the TransDEM main window, by pressing F1 or Shift+F1 for standard and Trainz manual, from the main menu, under Help and Trainz, or from the toolbar, the icons with the question marks.

You can also access them from the Windows Start menu (don't know about Windows 8 here), under All Programs | Ziegler-Tools | Documentation.

USGS 1/3 arc sec data is excellent. I have tested it a few times; Trainz map errors average about 10 feet, plus or minus.
TransDem is by far the easiest method to lay accurate (or any) terrain.
You will need an upgrade to download new USGS data formats.
Got questions on how to use it; ask here or on the TransDem Forums.

USGS 1/3 arc sec data is excellent. I have tested it a few times; Trainz map errors average about 10 feet, plus or minus.
TransDem is by far the easiest method to lay accurate (or any) terrain.
You will need an upgrade to download new USGS data formats.
Got questions on how to use it; ask here or on the TransDem Forums.
What do you mean I will have to upgrade to down load new USGS data formats? Up grade what?

The USGS Seamless Server doesn't dowload 1/3 arc second dem data in geotif format anymore.
Data must be downloaded in Arc Grid format. See TransDem forums for a full explanation. The dem data is downloaded in huge 1x1 degree standard packages. Several weeks ago there was a thread on it here. Check these forums.
You have TransDem v.2.2; you need v.2.3 to process the new data into a DEM.
Dr. Z has the details on his site.

The USGS Seamless Server doesn't dowload 1/3 arc second dem data in geotif format anymore.
Data must be downloaded in Arc Grid format. See TransDem forums for a full explanation. The dem data is downloaded in huge 1x1 degree standard packages. Several weeks ago there was a thread on it here. Check these forums.
You have TransDem v.2.2; you need v.2.3 to process the new data into a DEM.
Dr. Z has the details on his site.
Well that sounds about right for my luck, wonder who's bright idea that was?

Back