Has Parts of the forum ben hacked

robin_hoods

TrainzDiag troubleshooter
Hi all there is a problem when I go to various pages on the forum say the Freeware Announcements on some threads where there are a lot of pages and sometimes where there are only two pages I get taken to a totally different site page.
I am currently using Fire fox and this has only been happening lately so I dont know if its down to Fire Fox or something to do with the forum?
Any way this is what is happening I click onto a page numbered link and then get taken to a totally different location to the one I want.
See screen shot below, what I want to know is why is this happening and can I do anything to stop it?
If I go back a page to where I was then retry the same link it will go to the correct link but it should be doing this the first time I try it.
Has anyone else had this problem????

wrong%20page_zpsc8eph66x.jpg

Last edited:
It seems you've accidentally downloaded something Ask.com related, which is malware and hijacks the browser.

It's a bit of a pain in the arse to remove, too. But, there are plenty of guides on the internet if you take a look.

It was probably downloaded with another programme, maybe a Java update? I think that's how I got it once myself.

Kieran.

Make sure you make a backup of all the things you would like to keep, OFF of the computer and ON external source. DVDs, external drive (thumb or hdd or sdd) or uploaded to a "cloud" source are some examples. Then, get all your recovery media and files to restore Windows and device drivers. Once you have all that in place, try a complete restore/clean install and see if that cures it. That's what I do. Gets rid of any problems.

Paul

There is an addon called noscript for firefox that is fairly good. Go the the three bars on the right and click addons. Then addon manager, extensions and disable anything in sight. You'll probably want to go through your plugins as well.

When installing software do not accept the defaults these days, check everything very carefully especially if it mentions set my home page etc.

Cheerio John

This happens when you download something and then when installed it automatically robs your browser. It happened to me and on Firefox in the upper right hand corner is three lines named Open Menu. From there one can reinstall your old browser. I had to go online to get rid of Ask_com. It is a pain. Now I am stuck with Yahoo_com and am unsure how to get rid of it. The post above explains what should be done.

This happens when you download something and then when installed it automatically robs your browser. It happened to me and on Firefox in the upper right hand corner is three lines named Open Menu. From there one can reinstall your old browser. I had to go online to get rid of Ask_com. It is a pain. Now I am stuck with Yahoo_com and am unsure how to get rid of it. The post above explains what should be done.

If you click on the search bar you'll see search settings, that's where you can get rid of yahoo.com. Home page, three bars, options, general and set it there.

Cheerio John

Back