Gmax to 3ds max

Sparky123456

I'm trying to load a model from Gmax into 3ds max, using the 3D exploration programme (export fom gmax as a *.MD3 file, open in 3d explore, save as *.3ds, the open in 3ds max) BUT there's a significant loss of detail when the model is loaded into 3ds max.

Anybody got any ideas where I could be going wrong?
Or possibly anothe way of doing it?

Any help appreciated .

Cheers

Chris :(

Yes...

8) If you have 3DsMax, start you model, and go all the way to animation, stop there.

Import the file to gmax, as that is the object for Trainz Asset Creation Studio, and go forth with animation, attachments, etc.

Then, export to TRS.

Animations created in 3dsMax, get lost somehow, and since there is no exporter to TRS, gmax is the final test.

The original idea, is that most all usable options for content creation, are available using gmax-Trainz Asset Creation Studio.

Though you can import content into gmax from 3dsMax, the .gmax files are basically useless, unless you have a specified game importer, for the game you wish to mod.

Actually, 3DSMax 4 and 5 do have exporters... And these exporters (Which can be put into TACS as well) allow some more features to be implemented on content (specular highlights, and bump maps being the main two).

As for your question of converting from GMax to 3DSMax, try this tutorial by Jivebunny:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=12971

That one allows an almost lossless conversion of models. You can still use the Md3 method, and there is a way to convert with less loss on the model, but it is a confusing method. If you wish, I can attempt to explain this, but I recommend the method that Jivebunny's tutorial explains over the md3 method.

Zec

This is a bump of an old thread but it may be of interest to newcomers to content creation. Look at the link in the post #3 by S301.

Peter

Back