FTP problem with content Manager

Hum...

You have FTP programs that work
Content Manager works except for FTP

I'm thinking that since you do have FTP network/Internet functionality the problem is not there.

I am thinking it may be a Windows security function related to ContentManager.exe or to whatever sub program it may call for FTP access.

You might try comparing your functional FTP program security settings vs the ContentManager.exe settings. How you get to those is something I don't know, however. Also possible; Does the ContentManager.exe have write permission? Again I don't know how you could verify this setting.

In XP my Content Manager has functioned flawlessly including the network tests. :confused:

Thank you for the two suggestions about Firewall and Security issues (Shane and Normhart). As I have noted above in this thread I have tried more than once by turning off my Windows Firewall (Yikes!), restarting Content Manager and it still would not download files. I have all set the programs to run as Administrator so file write permissions are not a problem.

I discovered in another thread how to turn on output from the TADDaemon.exe and you can see the result here:

? 0:00.1 : DataManager::RegisterTrainzBumpVertexType> Unable to load 'm.tbumpc
oltex'
? 0:00.2 : DataManager::RegisterTrainzBumpVertexType> Unable to load 'm.tbumpg
losscol'
? 0:00.2 : DataManager::RegisterTrainzBumpVertexType> Unable to load 'm.tgroun
donetex'
? 0:00.3 : DataManager::RegisterTrainzBumpVertexType> Unable to load 'm.tgroun
donetexvs'
? 0:08.3 : InterfaceTextDB> failed to load compiled interfacetext file
? 0:08.5 : InterfaceTextDB> failed to load compiled interfacetext file
? 0:08.6 : TADDaemon
? 0:08.6 : DownloadTask PlanetAuranLogin> logging in to planet auran
? 0:08.6 : Ready.
? 0:23.0 : DownloadTask PlanetAuranLogin> login successful, setting session
cookie

As you can see the program successfully logs into planet aran. I found another thread with the same "unable to load" errors but it seemed to be unrelated to FTP problems.

Does anyone know what happens "under the hood"? Is it the TADDeamon.exe or another *.exe that actually makes the FTP request to the DLS? I wonder if my installation of Train12 is not sending the expected information in the request to the DLS?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,

Derek

Yes - TADDaemon does most of the requests for DLS information, but I'm not sure if it does the actual communication for DLS items.

The 'unable to load' errors are normal.

It may be worth checking how your version of Internet Explorer is handling cookies, as Trainz sets session cookies.

Shane

I was having the exact same problem. Then I re-entered my username and password within the Options section of the main Trainz 2012 program, under the Planet Auran tab. That worked for me. I probably mis-typed it or something when I did it the first time.

Thank you Shane and Pwieland but neither suggestion helped.

I have not responded for this past weekend but I have been "busy" with Trainz 12. I found a thread in the forums regarding an older version of Content Manager where the writer solved his similar problem by making sure that the "Address" and "Port" entry boxes in CM Settings/Internet/Manual Proxy Settings" were blank. In my version of CM there was a "0" in ports. I deleted the "0" and suddenly CM would not work, even after several attempts to restart!

This was the last straw. I uninstalled and reinstalled Trainz12 to its initial build 46957.

I bypassed our Router, disabled our Firewall, set the various software programs to Administrator, and CM still could NOT FTP a download!

Just "for the team" I blanked out the "port" entry box in both CM Settings to confirm. Yes, CM would not work again. I tried the same from the main Trainz menu under Options "Planet Auran/Use HTTP Proxy" and then I could not access "Options" after that, in fact I could not start up Trainz at all. Another round of uninstall/reinstall and this time I patched up to build 49922 successfully. Trainz again runs properly except that CM can not FTP from the Download Station.

At this point I am giving up on resolving the problem.

Note to Shane:

A RED FLAG for anyone getting Trainz 12: Do NOT blank out the "Port" entry box in Content Manager or Options! There is a "0" greyed out in this entry field and it needs to be left there. This should be pointed out to Auran as a bug!!

Cheers,

Derek

Hi Shane:

Yes I am using Internet Explorer Settings as well. I only tried removing the "0" from the "Port" entry because of that report that I had found on a different thread.

Oh, I just tried your System Information Utility. Thanks for that. I ran the "Check for Connection" test successfully. Too bad that you can not test for the actual FTP connection handshake (what is sent from my PC and what is expected at ftp://files.auran.com/). I believe that must be my problem. My PC is not "sending" what the auran server is expecting.

Cheers,

Derek

It's OK - I will see if I can find out what 'messages' get sent during a FTP download (as I'm using Windows 7, I can use the Performance Monitor to check that)

Shane

EDIT: It's actually the Resource Monitor, and it looks like TADDaemon is doing the actual communication with the FTP server, and as such needs access to the Internet through any hardware/software firewalls.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone:

Two things: 1. I finally bought a FCT and it certainly improves download speed much of the time.

2. I have apparently found out what my problem is with Content Manager not FTP'ing files. I had occasion to have access to another WI-FI connection and my Content Manager was able to FTP, at least for awhile. It worked "brilliantly" for about 15 minutes and then was intermittent for a few minutes before failing. I checked the download station and it was down. A few days later I was back and tried again. This time the FTP download worked only a few times over 20 minutes and then failed (again I checked the DLS and it had gone down!).

The bottom line: Content Manager appears to establish a peer-to-peer FTP connection in order to get downloads from either files.auran.com or firstclass.auran.com. The likely problem is that our own ISP connection is not fast enough. In other words, there is a built-in time out in Content Manager to establish the peer-to-peer connection and our ISP is too slow. The other WI-FI provider that I was able to try was fast enough to establish the required "handshake".

So there you have it! Does anyone know if there is a way change the time-out value in Content Manager? Is there a config file someplace?

Cheers,

Derek

Hi Everyone:

Two things: 1. I finally bought a FCT and it certainly improves download speed much of the time.

2. I have apparently found out what my problem is with Content Manager not FTP'ing files. I had occasion to have access to another WI-FI connection and my Content Manager was able to FTP, at least for awhile. It worked "brilliantly" for about 15 minutes and then was intermittent for a few minutes before failing. I checked the download station and it was down. A few days later I was back and tried again. This time the FTP download worked only a few times over 20 minutes and then failed (again I checked the DLS and it had gone down!).

The bottom line: Content Manager appears to establish a peer-to-peer FTP connection in order to get downloads from either files.auran.com or firstclass.auran.com. The likely problem is that our own ISP connection is not fast enough. In other words, there is a built-in time out in Content Manager to establish the peer-to-peer connection and our ISP is too slow. The other WI-FI provider that I was able to try was fast enough to establish the required "handshake".

So there you have it! Does anyone know if there is a way change the time-out value in Content Manager? Is there a config file someplace?

Cheers,

Derek
No config however, have you considered adjusting the routers MTU? not all ISP's run the same value and it can make the difference between a good connection and one thats a bit flaky especially on FTP, Google your ISP + MTU value should save you trying to work it out, which is possible using the ping command http://help.expedient.com/broadband/mtu_ping_test.shtml

Back