frame rates: Surveyer vs driver

bl4882

Hello all,

This is not a problem but just a small question, but it is bugging me. I have been fiddling with max frame rates in the options file and find that setting it at about 30 in driver allows the program - TRS2010 - to run as smooth as glass, better, in fact, than the default 200 rate. But if I run at about the same rate in surveyor it is choppy and makes it difficult to lay track or place structures precisely. Actually it gets darned ornery. On the other hand, if I set the rate at 100 or more, it works smoothly. Do any of you computer gurus have an explanation why this should be true, preferably in a language that a computer ignoramus can understand? I would have thought that what was sauce was a goose was sauce for the gander, but apparently not in this case. I have it working fine, but just would like to know why.:wave:

Bernie

I think it has something to do with the refresh rate of your monitor. I know with some other games I have played it was pointless to set the Framerate(FR) any higher than the monitor refresh rate. Actually when you run still frames at 60 frames per second it appears to be continuos motion. Your eyes aren't able to process anything faster than 60 FPS.

Hope this helps.

Bernie,

You'll find that the best settings are achieved by adding in the frame limiter tags into your Trainzoptions.txt file.

-framerate=25
-framestoaverage=16

You can change these to higher or lower values to suit your system. I find that these work well to prevent the fast and slow loading as they seem to smooth things out.

John

Thank you both, but I suppose I framed my question poorly. My inquiry is why Driver should run smoothly but Surveyor should not. I would have thought they would run about the same, but they don't. Is Trainz "working harder" in Surveyor? and if so, why?

Bernie

Back