fps with DirectX and OpenGL

john_goddard

Steam freak
I have been using OpenGL as I understood Ts2010 ran better with it. Recently I have been advised to change to DirectX to improve my poor fps. The framerate has more than doubled after this change, trebled in some parts, is this the experience of others? John.

I have been using OpenGL as I understood Ts2010 ran better with it. Recently I have been advised to change to DirectX to improve my poor fps. The framerate has more than doubled after this change, trebled in some parts, is this the experience of others? John.

I noticed the same here with a GT 240.

Not with my 8400GS. It seems nVidia has stepped up their DirectX game with the newer cards/drivers. I haven't tried upgrading drivers because I did that once before and it broke some of my old applications and emulators. OpenGL gives pretty good performance anyway so I'm not too worried.

Since changing to DirectX to get much better fps I have been experiencing crashing of Trainz whilst in Surveyor, so have switched back to OpenGL.
any comments on this? John.

Since changing to DirectX to get much better fps I have been experiencing crashing of Trainz whilst in Surveyor, so have switched back to OpenGL.
any comments on this? John.

No crashes in Surveyor in DirectX for me and I spent far too long in there so I would have noticed if anything was amiss.

I do have DirectX9c installed in Win7 as well as 11, wonder if that may make a difference?

No crashes in Surveyor in DirectX for me and I spent far too long in there so I would have noticed if anything was amiss.

I do have DirectX9c installed in Win7 as well as 11, wonder if that may make a difference?

Thanks for answering, I will investigate the DirectX9c possibility, John.

I run Win7 and after reading this thread I switched to DirectX 9c. There seems to be a small but noticeable improvement in framerates so it was a good call!

Since my last post I have reinstalled Win7 64bit( the first install was over Vista) as my C drive only had less than 10gb free space. Trainz was installed on F drive so I was not hopeful that this would solve the Surveyor crashing problem! But, so far things seem to be fine, DirectX used and no crashes! John.

Back