First Impressions of TS2010 EE

titaniclover

TS2010EE SP3; Build 49933
I have just received TS2010 EE in the mail for my last Xmas present.
First off is two disks, I guess you just need them.

Once I started I got somethign about looking for updated assets or something. It froze so I closed it out and continued to start Trainz. Load time from Windows to main screen is wicked fast. Love it.

However the menu is very confusing. I decided to try a route I was working on and hit the Routes button. This froze Trainz and I had to close out. I tried again, got to the route menu but all that's installed is built in routes. None of the route I have downloaded or made.

I tried to make a new route, looked at the layers tab and Trainz froze again and had to close out. I opened CM3.2, went to My Content tab, nothing good, still searching. Decided to close out CM3.2 at 2:01 PM EST, CM3.2 is still trying to close as I type.

My impressions are not very promising. Very long and slow load times, crashing, not good at all. Definatly have my second thoughts for the next Trainz version, now I need to figure out how to get TS2009 back without losing all my content, which I failed to back up. TS2009 much more stable then this piece of junk, however the war is not over yet.

Very disappointed here. Any comments from others about my situation?

Cheers,
Adam

First of all, I take it all the self tests past ok?
Have you installed the service pack thats been released?
Did you run an extended database repair in the CM?

Hi Adam,
I found that it helps a lot to close all background programs, even so I have to give it time for the programs to sort them selves out...........for instance if I open up the map and click on an area too soon it will freeze on me, but if I give it a few seconds it works fine.

about the missing routes........If you click on the yellow star where it says favourites to grey your routes will appear.

Pete,.......... have you had your coller felt by the pixel police?

Last edited:
After about an hour of struggle, navigation and asset repair Trainz now looks a lot better. Seems to run really fast in routes which I have used that are snail slow in TS2009. I don't like the speed trees, and I have an ATI card and they seem to run fine? Strange.

I will go ahead and download service pack anyways, nothing to lose now that I have saved my local folder.

One thumbs up for the Brew Crew!

Cheers,
Adam

The Servicepack will address your ATI problems :)

Try both graphics formats to see which one fits best for your rig.

Happy chugging along the track :)

Mine are "same old, same old" As the saying goes "There is nothing new under the (Auran) moon.

Two things that bugged me more then 2009 version. The non changeable enviroment, and the constant hugging of resources by TADDeamon, which seems ever hungry.

Check the announcements section of the forum. Should be a thread in there about it. The Patch Trainz feature is one of the things that was broken so you will have to download and install manually.

Runs smooth so you shouldn't have a problem.

Cheers,
Adam

My First Impression

Hi
I wonder how many people got 2010 for Christmas?
Trains 2010 loaded on ok and I then loaded on one of my routes. I looks good but some textures and buildings are missing I have been using 2006 to do my routes. I have loaded on service pack. Frame rates bit jumpy like when you have to much 3d in one area, but don’t have much on my route at this stage.
Using XP. I see that windows 7 is recommended. Might have to up grade.
Trees look really good. I will persevere with 2010 at this stage I think.
My opinion is that a DVD of built in assets from previous trains needs to be compiled, as a lot of good stuff that people have taken the time to design goes missing with each new edition.
All the best
RussellRFR;)

My first impressions are good BUT i have had to get a new mother board and graphics card!!!

And get this!!! Windows 7 doesn't like it so im stuck with a "dead" game and a motherboard that doesn't work!!

My first impressions are good BUT i have had to get a new mother board and graphics card!!!

And get this!!! Windows 7 doesn't like it so im stuck with a "dead" game and a motherboard that doesn't work!!
did you install 2010 as an administrator?

What do I think so far?

Not bad considering that much of my content dates back to late 2004/early 2005, and before. My route loaded up fine in compatibility mode and in native mode. There were some rolling stock issues, but they were mostly very old and needed fixing.

I've spent my week fixing content in CM. I had over 5,000 so-called bad items that worked fine in 2006. The errors were very easy to fix for the most part. Simple config file errors here and there as well as some texture issues. I was able to fix everything but 22 items, which have script problems and some other items that are totally broken due to missing mesh files.

I've played around in Surveyor mostly, and like the new SpeedTreez. I agree with some of the comments by others that some of the trees look weird, and their movement is a bit much. The strong movement in the pines made me feel nervous particularly with the dark sky I had chosen! It felt to me like an impending storm was coming on the horizon. So having said that, I use a combination of JVC, and TZM trees along with the SpeedTreez, depending upon what I am looking for.

I haven't tried Driver yet, but I will soon so I can see what the new trees look like on my route.

John

Back