FEC Key West extension modern day

Oops!

I Somehow attached the wrong picture.

Let's try this:

Pigeon.jpg

Hi Terry:

After conversion to auto use there was a ramp down to the key and I'm pretty certain the new 4-lane bridge has a ramp as well.
Ben

Ben, there is NO ramp from the 7 mile bridge to (I believe it's called) Pidgeon Key. The only access to that island is with the old bridge, and only "authorized personnel" can get to it.

Of couse, the excellent photos above indicate what I just said, but thought I would answer that specifically.

Terry

Hi Ya'll:

Thanks a bunch. Looks to be 84 - 72 = 12 degrees. There were 19 deck plate girders so if I leave the first and last straight and curve the remaining 17 in 0.7 degree increments it should work out.

I had a pic of the piers but yours is better.

Only been over the new bridge once and that was a long time ago on the way to the Key West poker run on my Boss Hoss (500 hp) motorcycle. Was paying a lot more attention to traffic then the curve at Pigeon Key (who knew I'd build it someday, lol).

Just finished up a project and was wondering what to make next. Obviously its back to the 7-mile bridge time.

Thanks again guys,

Ben

Nikos1;

Just to let you know that your great work on the modern day Florida East Coast Railway's Key West Extension will be part of an article in the Florida East Coast Railway Society's quarterly newsletter called the "Speedway."

This publication is read regularly by hundreds of rail-fans and FECRS members including the President of the railroad. The FECRS would like to include some of your images as well.

Both FEC employees and rail-fans are already aware of your work, and look forward to seeing more of it.

I'll be happy to send you a copy when it comes out in the next few weeks.

Richard

wow, i am honored that you guys think my work is good enough for the official FEC magazine, this is giving me real incentive to actually try to finish this route.
you have full permission to use any and all of my images of the route, i only wish i had a better graphics card so the quality of the screenshots would be better.
after reading your post today i got back to work on the route and assembled the 7 mile bridge that bendorsey has kindly made, it was a defining feature of the extension so i will try to get it done soon so hopefully a picture of it can be placed in the article. Bendorsey has been a huge help in this project providing me with first hand knowledge of the line and of course making these great bridges for me, and he should be given credit in the article.
thanks again Ben!
when the issue is out i would love to have a copy of it!

Nikos

Ben's great work was introduced to FECRS members at the last convention where I held a Trainz clinic.

I started telling fellow FEC fans about your route shortly after you posted the first images. The FECRS is large, strong, and is considered part of the FEC family; especially because so many employees are also members (including the Pres).

So many FEC fans are history buffs. They wish that your twist on history actually happened. Your approach on this project, plus your attention to detail makes you a hero in their opinion.

Your route doesn't just add another quality choice to the Download Station for existing trainz members. Your Modern Day Key West Extension will be responsible for a large group of rail fans taking a chance and discovering the world of Trainz.

Don't be overwhelmed by that statement. It's your masterpiece. Continue to use your artistic discretion to create what makes you proud; not what you think other people are looking for.

Just the images that we have seen so far constitute a route that you should be proud of.

I can't wait to see what you do with Ben's bridge.

Richard

Thanks again Richard, here are some of the 7-Mile bridge, hopefully in time to be included in the magazine, if you need higher quality pics for the magazine article just send me PM and ill be glad to take them (as long as my comp can handle it:hehe: )
i turned up anitroscopic filtering for these so they look a bit better, probably should have increase the resolution too
ok screenshot time
heading north onto the 7-Mile bridge from Little Duck Key
d70ee5f00869213abc4cd2f76b239587.jpg

rolling across the spandrel arches with the highway and Money Key in the background (dont ask me why its named that, idk what money you would find there....:eek: )
1218786169b320476d65ea69ca891e84.jpg

view from the highway, looks like a nice place for train chasing!
c4dbd8b051c6d183cae1962a60ca7737.jpg

change from Spandrel arches to plate girder
68feb9d745dd94571de85ee6bbd8ae21.jpg

Mosser Channel drawbridge
42430c20922d080bc3297d941bbc25d6.jpg

2f6a81220df6b18c676d81e79d5c4f4b.jpg

looking towards Pigeon key from the cab (ignore the CSX cab, something went screwy and the unit ended up with the wrong cab lol)
6695c33eeea8d20a5c44362cfc7e7335.jpg

b6cf086fd69be2bf18c8cb8ea00c1835.jpg

entering Pigeon Key
8fb8859a20c4205e314cae4e659c789d.jpg

rolling high above the tiny Pigeon Key
b907e4f5e6a393c9e66672e4ed083f95.jpg

932609d7dad5bf91697b685a3ee212b7.jpg

fac360acdc15fb1f6751cfaa5df5098b.jpg

6c21b6b62f104055ffb6ab28715d7832.jpg

70111d83b743ffd1cd4dc56669dc9770.jpg

38af030feafc4dc92a8d4242ce9fe060.jpg

more to come....

heading south across the bridge
over pigeon key in the opposite direction
2aaf16739222876bdfb61c63b651e2aa.jpg

9991442487935c5cf87640af9159645c.jpg

1e67cd17af8ed3987fb89096119ca8bc.jpg

1e0bfbf023fb810a5662507f6a182647.jpg

f344c2223172d8816148fd70af09de2e.jpg

b2a9ab49989865bd01dccbe2b2c80f26.jpg

20a63d3636627d18f30ced4e0ad62c9e.jpg

a dolphin greets the train
7eefb6ca36a47fa401c515bd7f2eadef.jpg

rolling onto Little duck Key

50bcda44ac5be7cc56301a71ef2cf1ac.jpg

oh and
THANKS BENDORSEY FOR THE BRIDGES! :D

Last edited:
Very nice Nikos....Yeah my cabs are all messed up like that as well...I got a WC cab with my CSX stuff and the R&N Cab with the CSX and my WC stuff has the R&N cab...and its all just a mess.....Keep up the good work :cool:

I must say, I am impressed. Although, I confess to a slight bit of confusion and distress.

Quite simply, why are you doing a (now fictional) modern version of this route? Why not model the Overseas Railway as it was in 1912-1936? Or is that another project for the future?

Personally, I'd really like to see a vintage version of this grossly overlooked piece of railway history.

thanks everyone for your comments!
@kmothersil: if i ever finish, as long as the real one:)
@sirrliv: cause personnaly early 1900's steam is not my thing, i like diesels and intermodal, the Key West extension has always intrigued me and i always wondered what it would be like if it had survived into the modern age.
this project started a long time ago when i modifyed foxgraphics FEC route into the modern era, i wasnt really satisfied so scrapped the route, later i felt like giving it another try with a DEM and thought it would just be something fun to mess with for awhile. little did i know what it would turn into....
when im done (if i ever will be:hehe:) if someone want to backdate it and does a good job ill be happy to let them release a 1900's route, the bridges and all will be accurate for that time so it shouldnt be all that hard

Wonderful photos nikos its just plain beautiful! I love the sky;I love the FEC geeps hell, i love it all! I cant wait to drive a train in cab view with the sun setting i could just picture it now :mop::mop::mop::udrool::udrool::udrool:

Fantastic Nikos. Makes the effort all that much more worthwhile.

Startring on the Bahia-Honda bridge NOW!

Ben

P.S. The ground and water level shots show where I stripped all the interior bracing out of the deck plate girders to keep the poly count down, lol.

We all would like to be operating FEC trains over your route tonight; but take whatever time you need to complete the entire project with the extreme standard of quality that your work has already set.

Others may choose to set a copy of it back to Flagler's day, but this is your masterpiece. You prefer this time and this equipment; and it shows in your work.

The FECRS has decided to cover an update of your work in the following issue of the Speedway as well. I would be great to include a little background of the construction process from you.

This last series of picture blew us away! Great Job!

:Y: :clap: :Y: :clap: :Y: :clap:

thanks everyone for your comments!
@kmothersil: if i ever finish, as long as the real one:)
@sirrliv: cause personnaly early 1900's steam is not my thing, i like diesels and intermodal, the Key West extension has always intrigued me and i always wondered what it would be like if it had survived into the modern age.
this project started a long time ago when i modifyed foxgraphics FEC route into the modern era, i wasnt really satisfied so scrapped the route, later i felt like giving it another try with a DEM and thought it would just be something fun to mess with for awhile. little did i know what it would turn into....
when im done (if i ever will be:hehe:) if someone want to backdate it and does a good job ill be happy to let them release a 1900's route, the bridges and all will be accurate for that time so it shouldnt be all that hard

Back