FEC Building New Rail Passenger Service - 240 miles!

kws4000

Local Knucklehead
http://www.rtands.com/newsflash/private-passenger-rail-service-in-florida-planned-5158.html

Private passenger rail service in Florida planned
Thursday, March 22, 2012

Florida East Coast Industries, Inc., is developing a privately owned, operated and maintained passenger rail service to connect South Florida and Orlando, which will be operational in 2014.

The All Aboard Florida passenger rail project will connect South Florida to Orlando through a 240-mile route combining 200 miles of existing tracks between Miami and Cocoa and the creation of 40 miles of new track to complete the route to Orlando. Eventually the system could be expanded with connections to Tampa and Jacksonville.

More than 50 million people travel between South and Central Florida annually, largely over highly congested highways. All Aboard Florida is envisioned to transform the way people travel throughout the state, offering a faster, safer and more enjoyable mode of transportation between Florida's two largest metropolitan areas.

Targeted to begin service in 2014, the approximately $1 billion project will operate on a regular schedule throughout the day transporting business and leisure passengers between South Florida and Orlando in approximately three hours.

I'm tempted to think that this is all just a way to get freight access into Orlando, but then I heard that they've hired the guy who ran the Capitol Corridor in California (Eugene Skoropowski) out of retirement for this one, so I guess they're really serious about this.

Project Website Here!

Will be interesting to see how this plays out; the highways down there are undeniably overburdened, so I think there will be a pretty high ridership and profit potential, to say nothing of the real estate deals.

As a Floridian who will use this service I have to say that the FEC is nothing short of a 5 star operation. I have visited their yards, met most of the management team, and attended several events they have put on. All of them are great people who have a passion for railroading. Best part is they are talking about a 3 hour trip between ORL and MIA. I would challenge you to try this in your car, good luck on 95 south of WPB! LOL Plus several round trips daily with food and drink service, man you can't beat this. I will be looking forward to document this from start to finish. It's been a long time since new rail has been laid in Florida, now we're looking at 40 miles of it! I also think that FEC/NS are certainly going to take a stab at traffic in the Orlando area as there is quite a bit of it. I heard some rumors a couple years ago about CSX looking to get rid of the A line south of JAX in favor of the access they will still have coming down the old Seaboard. This new deal certainly puts things in perspective in relation to them getting some of CSX's central Florida business. Interesting times here in Florida right now for both passenger and freight rail. Let's not forget about all the money CSX is dumping into the S line upgrades as I type this, and the new Intermodal terminal slated to be built in Winter Haven. I'm looking forward to every minute of this.

Thanks

Mike

Saw that in the Palm Beach Post this morning. I had heard the FEC was considering passenger service from Miami to Jacksonville but hadn't heard about the Orlando thing. Makes sense in a way but so does the route all the way up the east coast of Florida. I was sitting at the local dog-n-sudz joint a while back and saw an Amtrak passenger train go by. Gadzooks. I hadn't seen a passenger train on the FEC since the mid 60's (when they were blowing up things, lol). I later learned it was a test train. Like you said - it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

The local commuter service (Trirail) has been talking about extending service to at least Jupiter, FL and perhaps as far as Stuart. All the bridges are 2 track (just one set of ties and rails installed) so it wouldn't be that difficult - just add the other set. The Stuart bridge is the problem to extending it farther north. Long and single track. Never has been 2 tracks. Used to use spring switches at each end to route trains to the proper track.

Ben

Last edited:
The Maine Eastern does this now out to Rockland Maine from Brunswick. Amtrak is supposed to extend service to Brunswick, and the ME said once this happens, they will extend service up to Augusta via Gardner.

I think it's awesome that freight railroads want to get back into passenger service after ditching 50-60 odd years ago. Perhaps they're setting a trend since they see an increase in this traffic as domestic fuel prices rise.

John

Who: FECI would own, operate and manage the passenger rail line. Florida’s taxpayers will have no ongoing construction or operating risks.

PRIVATE industry, I salute you!:wave:

More about this in this mornings Palm Beach Post. It makes a heck of a lot more sense then a high speed rail line from Tampa to Orlando. A rail line for passengers as well as freight yes - a high speed line for passengers only - no.

Ben

More about this in this mornings Palm Beach Post. It makes a heck of a lot more sense then a high speed rail line from Tampa to Orlando. A rail line for passengers as well as freight yes - a high speed line for passengers only - no.

Ben

I agree, Ben. We have too much spread out to have the infrastructure that Europe has for high speed passenger-only service. I'm sure the mainline jointly run track could be brought to Class 5 or Class 6 standards so the passenger trains can run faster than 100 mph.

This would benefit both forms of transport because the freight companies would have nice track to run on and they too can operate at higher speeds, depending upon the consists of course.

John

As see it the HS line is just a political "get me re-elected" ploy. Those for it vastly over estimate the ridership and equally under estimate the cost (those againt it do the opposite). Plus they want to run it up the median of I-4. Whatta farce. A real rail line to good standards not only can do the same job but serve the various towns and industries along the way (just don't run it up the I-4 median).

The HS rail line reminds me of the Cross Florida Barge Canal. The boondoggle of all boondoggles that actually got started (but never finished).

Ben

Plus they want to run it up the median of I-4. Whatta farce. A real rail line to good standards not only can do the same job but serve the various towns and industries along the way (just don't run it up the I-4 median).
Ben

The 40 miles of new track being laid will probably run down the median of the Florida Turnpike and then I-4 when it gets extended north. :\

Believe it or not that makes sense to me: it's a heck of a lot easier (and cheaper) to build on an existing gradient then to dig and blast one yourself. They did the same thing when they put the Rail Runner service in between Belen and Santa Fe, NM.

I agree with Ben here. There are places for high speed rail, such as areas that should have passenger service, but the tracks are long gone because they were foolishly ripped up before people realized their value. When I say this, I think of the great New York-New Jersey area, Boston and its suburbs, and many other very congested urban areas in the country.

The other thing too is there are plenty areas that already have tracks and RsOW in place, so why not make use of existing infrastructure? In reality rail lines eat up a heck of a lot less space than any highway. Even a 4-track mainline is quite a bit narrower than a 4 line highway even without a median strip. This allows the trains to run in tighter areas, leaving the rest of the area unchanged or damaged. This saves everyone money because there are less EPA hoops and other building regulations to meet before actually starting the project. I'm sure a lot of the politicians wouldn't want to hear this because they have people who need endless consulting jobs at various states of the project. I say this thinking of the many unfinished highway projects in Connecticut.

If they're planning on running rail up the highway median, why not use that for rapid transit or light rail with park and ride stations strategically placed a long the way? To me this would make more sense because this park and rides will act as funnels to move commuters off the interstate and on to the public transit and commuter rail service.

John

Well I have to agree that this is tremendous news that some modern effort is made on extending passenger rail across the pond. No doubt there are other places and if the railway team are as motivated as reported here then is a good boost for somewhere else?Long overdue.

:cool: The secrete is as Mike said, a well developed and run high-speed freight railroad can run passenger too.

Back