Faulty DLS item that should not even be on the DLS

I'm now convinced we need a "large" asset warning. Large poly counts are not the only problem: multiple and large (2048*2048) textures can slow things down.
Not only that, but multiple textures means more draw calls to the GPU, which is something that's known to heat up the CPU in no time.

If after reading this thread people don't get the importance of being sensible with poly-counts, and the textures, then I guess they never will.
Again, and I feel like I've been banging my head against a wall on this subject since 2004, we need a poly-counter in Surveyor.

Yes, we can still report ridiculously high poly items in threads like this, but this truck was placed 3 times in a route, just as an extra item of scenery, and the unknown cost was over 2 million polys!
It would be funny if it wasn't so stupid!

Brian.

This is a issue we have discussed about many, many times, but until Auran/N3V does not seriously implement some form of "high-poly-warning" we will have to worry about this kind of junk. It would be nice to be warned about hi-poly counts before downloading the assets (especially for people not holding a FCT), but I would be happy enough to have hi-poly items reported after installing them.

The 500-poly warning in T:ANE could be a step in the right direction, but so far is a bit too paranoid to be really useful. I hope it will be fixed in the future.

I just downloaded the concrete truck in TS12 61388 and it showed no warnings and no errors. I have a few assets that are flagged with this warning:

Code:
Warning: The high-poly mesh 'kuid xxxxxx xxxxx\xxxxx.im' should have LOD levels.

The asset is a group of rocks for the Donner Pass route: it has 1424 polys. Why the 700,000 poly truck was not flagged?

Back