Explanation about Trainz Forum's threads

May someone give an explanation about Trainz Forum's threads. There are many threads with very similar topics, in several place, eq. about fixing about script, re-skin, config.sys, etc.
It seem the question is only for 1 spesific user not for other user question.

Eq, someone else ask about PBR material and then get the solutions (solved). But because I also got problems about PBR material, I posted here. Someone then suggest me to make my own thread.
What I am expeting is, if the problems are quite same, I though no problems if we are join and posted there, no need to create new thread.

Another issue :
Sometimes I had confusing about the rooms in this forum, especially about content creation issue.
I had TANE and TRS 2019. Sometime I run TANE instead of TRS2019 because for trial only and because old beautiful route.

At trainz forum, where should I post :
- General forum
- TANE or TRS 2019 forum
- Surveyor, Operator and Engineering
- Content Creator Program (TCCP)

Some post I create at General Forum is because this is general problems (whatever TANE or TRS2019) : eq. config.sys guidance, etc).
Some post I create at Surveyor : eq. creation a tunnel or route, problems with coal industry, etc.
But all my post move into some place and then inacessible again. Maybe wrong place.

So. please explain to me the difference between all 4 rooms above (about content creation).
And now, I had symptom problems about New Industry. It maybe about script or config.sys, I didn't know. Where should I post to ?

Content Creation Support is the main forum for anything to do with 3D modelling. Making routes and sessions is also content creation but there are other forums for that. I think many 3D model creators will look there for interesting stuff rather than prowl the more general forums.

Scenario Scripting and Scriptlets is the forum for anything to do with Trainzscript. Terrible title but that's what we use. The forum names have their origin back in the early days of Trainz.

TCCP, AFAIK, is mostly for developers wanting to sell their assets through N3V. I have no interest in that.

The old TrainzDev forum was very interesting in its day but N3V seem to have lost interest in it in favour of alpha/beta testing groups.

Continued use of old threads is frowned on unless the topic if something of continuing interest. The new forums make it really easy to pick up old threads. I think old threads should automatically close after a set period if there is no activity for say, six months.

If you are going to ask a question via a new thread then do us a favour and identify what version of Trainz you are building for as techniques and solutions vary. You might also identify your skill level as the response might be different.

Then there is the Trainz Discord server that has quite a few creators asking questions or showing off their work. I prefer Discord rather than the forums these days although I know some don't like that sort of social media.

Content Creation Support is the main forum for anything to do with 3D modelling. Making routes and sessions is also content creation but there are other forums for that. I think many 3D model creators will look there for interesting stuff rather than prowl the more general forums.

Scenario Scripting and Scriptlets is the forum for anything to do with Trainzscript. Terrible title but that's what we use. The forum names have their origin back in the early days of Trainz.

TCCP, AFAIK, is mostly for developers wanting to sell their assets through N3V. I have no interest in that.

The old TrainzDev forum was very interesting in its day but N3V seem to have lost interest in it in favour of alpha/beta testing groups.

Continued use of old threads is frowned on unless the topic if something of continuing interest. The new forums make it really easy to pick up old threads. I think old threads should automatically close after a set period if there is no activity for say, six months.

If you are going to ask a question via a new thread then do us a favour and identify what version of Trainz you are building for as techniques and solutions vary. You might also identify your skill level as the response might be different.

Then there is the Trainz Discord server that has quite a few creators asking questions or showing off their work. I prefer Discord rather than the forums these days although I know some don't like that sort of social media.
In my mind,
Content creator = asset creator. It meant from 3D modeller, configuration, scripting and put it on route.
But I had seach there are no content creator rooms. The title content creator is only for TCCP only not for commonly user.

I saw some user ask about their problems based on TRS they use. So they ask on TANE or TRS 2019 or TRS 2022 sub forum. And after I read, their question is about general and able to use in another build. Eq, about coal industrial, etc. I try to follow in the forum and use it and worked. But sometime still need more information.

Another post, last month, I read thread from year 2012. It's about using PBR image creation. This topic is useful for me and maybe for others, too. So I asked the questions regarding to the topics. It is illegal in this forum to ask ask at old thread ?

My skill level is still start to learn. Maybe 2 of 10. Create an simple asset from SU, Blender, using TransDEM, simple config and script. I am still need more quidance here, but some my posts move to INACCESSIBLE CCP. I can't further reply and watch anymore.

In General, (pun not intended) you should never create a thread in the General Forum. It will only get moved by the moderators to a more appropriate forum. It is a leftover from the days when there was an off topic forum for non-trainz related posts. But off topic posts are frowned upon these days. Today, it is largely just a "I woke up on the wrong side of the bed and want to rant" forum and many users just ignore it for that reason.

The version specific forums such as TANE, TRS19, TRS22 and the older version forums should always be your first choice for questions of all types since it helps readers know what version you are using without having to ask.

The Surveyor, Operator and Engineering forum is another legacy forum and pretty much should be limited to questions about any activity concerning the Surveyor module but again these questions are better suited for the version specific forums since the features of Surveyor vary between Trainz versions.

Content Creator Program (TCCP) is a highly specific forum for the announcement of the availability of new DLC packages for testing within the TCCP process. More details about that are available from the sticky post in that forum. This is NOT a forum for the questions about content creation which is why those questions go largely ignored in that forum.

Content Creation Support forum is the best place to ask specific questions about content creation using tools like Blender and Gmax or resolving issues with getting your content ready to be released. You are far more likely to get a useful answer there.

The Scenario Scripting & Scriptlets forum despite its very outdated name is the best place to ask questions about using Trainzscipt in content creation as the more experienced script writers tend to watch that forum.

Last edited:
Questions get asked in odd places and often they will be lost because those that can answer didn't see them. In my experience, many 3D model creators are often so busy that they will not see a question or don't answer because they don't want to be involved. As Wreeder said, post in Content Content. I will look in CC but looking in General is largely a waste of my time IMHO.

If I saw a question back in 2012 I wouldn't have understood it but these days I probably would. :)

As I said, reviving old threads is frowned on. Just start a new one, After all, your question is probably different anyway. The rules for validation of assets has changed a lot in the last few years and definitely since TANE/TS19 days. Answers you may have read in an old thread may well be wrong for later versions.

Big thanks to @Paul and @Wreder for your explanations and or solutions. I confirm it.
I will put any question in TRS 2019 or TANE forum about everything, include problems when creating an asset.

Actually, I can't find the link of Content Creator Support (CCS).... Or maybe I missed.

Cheers,

I think @wreeder wrote out most of the stuff I had intended to say, so I like to refer you to his reply earlier in this topic.

/ModeratorModeOn

Guess what?
I split off this discussion because A) it deserved it's own thread and B) it hardly had anything to do with the topic it was added to (my own) as that topic was about "where the hell did that forum go" as a lot of people didn't have access to it (anymore) after the forum upgrade and that has long been fixed.

/ModeratorModeOff

Back