Everything Rust's on the Coast (1024..768)

dreddman

Oct 01 Ver 1.1 owner
This thread wont appeal to everyone ..as in the past no one realy showed any interest .....you guys would rather drive a train past scenery.
Old Hands around here will remember the Trainz Shipping threads and "Das Boote" pops it's ugly head up now and again.
But I was driving one of my favourite test layouts and had to grab some screens ..........
Driving down the coast road I entered the harbour district
porti.jpg
There was Whecsailors Trampsteamer "RIMFAKSE" steaming out of port past rusty relics heading to her next destonation...........​
port1n.jpg
QR C17 713 hauling a maitenince train waits as QR 1460/1300 class pull empty coal wagons past​
port2.jpg
As QR C17 713 leaves the un named tramp leaves port her holds full of goods baggage and passangers on deck ..........................​
port3.jpg
Concept idea and models developed by myself Pencil42 and ofcourse the master seaman WHEC!

The Idea has never realy caught on to the wider community
Just imagine if a master layout creator grasped the idea of a layout dont matter what country of a penincular or island sm country coastline trainz and shipz interact through out the dock system and portholes delivering/transfering goods where needed driving your train while a ship under AI steame past or leaves port IDEAS!!!
ENJOY :wave:

I always loved your threads Dreddman, and that's going back to Robocop and the Judge, Cylons and BSG. I always thought the port and naval threads were the best though, and I love the idea of 'Port-alls' on every map, but c'mon...even the I portal suffers now and Trainz has gone pretty much cold from where I'm sitting!

Still, lately, I've had a hankering to do a new port...

Well thanks Ed its been 24 hrs 149 looks and your the only one to post and say something looks like no interest as usual :confused:

The lack of interest as you call it is more down to the shortage of industry content that is available for linking ships to trains and the lack of knowledge on setting up ship routes. I my self use ships but mainly only the smaller coastal type shipping and pleasure craft. A good shipping route with plenty to do will interest a lot of people. I love the old harbours etc as they have character.

I especially like #3. At first I thought that ship in the far background was floating in the air but then I realized that it is probably up on hydrofoils which can not be seen clearly because of the distance.:eek:
You will probable note that I don't comment much on screenies. Believe me when I say I know exactly how you feel about getting no comments but I feel that I am too new at this and don't have any qualifications to be commenting one way or the other. However in my mind, you did an excellent job on that one..

Last edited:
Yes, it is sad that there isn't more interest in this sort of layout. It is a very ingenious and creative use of TRS. I too have always been fascinated at how you can think outside the box with Trainz. Keep at it Dredd :D

Todd

Dreddman, the community seems to be more based around the engines and some trackside scenery. Large towns are seeming to become less and less in routes. Your shots are spectacular, ports are a thing I like to included in all of my routes and love to drive past them and look at the details. As said before, there are a few of us lurkers out there who still appreciate this kind of stuff. Good job!

God Bless,

Ryan:wave:

I'm in agreement with stagecoach here. The lack of interactive content is the problem. Where i live used to be a large fishing port until they closed the docks in the 70's. Which was a great loss to the community here. All the trawlers were scrapped and the docks left to silt up. I would love to see more port activity in trainz especially trawlers being unloaded. LI have also seen your videos on You Tube and often wondered why you haven't released many of your creations.

Well im glad there is a few of us lurking out there
As for interactive industries there are only a few around I know Vulcans ships load at ore docks supplied by trains.......the barges will even carry trains..
The transfer dock developed by Pencil42 and myself will transfer passangers baggage and general goods from train to ship ?....bus tram plane with some regmaxing "Gotta keep outside that square"
Trainz is a great platform for creating worlds in
Man I should get a screen of my Hudson monorail !
:confused:

Not only something a little different. Great shots here and I love the detailing and the colours in the water
Bob V

Lack of comments

Hi Dredd,
I feel the same way about lack of comment. You work your socks off for months and then nobody comes in with any feedback - except to say something's wrong of course!
I love docks, as can be seen in my Branchline routes. They give an extra extension to train operation and allow the mind to stretch a bit.
Most seem to be only interested in the next locomotive that's to be released, not a route, which is sad, because without routes like yours that have such a strong ambiance, there's nothing left to run the new loco on apart from some bare track, not really doing the loco or Trainz justice, is it?
I love that pale, large rusty ship, is it one of Whecsailors?

Keep at it, there are still plenty of folk who appreciate a good bit of scenic work.

Blessings,

Angela

I like your screenies Dreddy, I've been playing Trainz all weekend and haven't been on the forums much lately. You've only just put these piccys up, give it a week or two and you'll get a few more replies I'm sure, and you can always add a few more on.
I personally like the 1st one best, you can just smell that sea air in your lungs by looking at them all......

Nice thread young man......

Cheerz. ex-railwayman. :wave:

Personally I have always been fscinated with the interplay between rail and shipping. Here in the Great Lakes area there were rail ferrys across the lakes, and of course, the lake "Boats" transferring all sorts of commodities through the waterways.

I like the idea, but I also have one question: what rail height do these run on? Are you using the 3m above the water standard like Vulcan?

The biggest problem with industry is that ships all have differing widths so a standard one fits all is not possible like stations. If only one could script a ship to move side ways when it docked. Ie place track 20m from dock wall, ship arrives and when stopped would move left or right (like the opening of doors) to berth next to the dock wall. How far each ship moved would be in the ships config based on the 20m placement of the dock track.

The biggest problem with industry is that ships all have differing widths so a standard one fits all is not possible like stations. If only one could script a ship to move side ways when it docked. Ie place track 20m from dock wall, ship arrives and when stopped would move left or right (like the opening of doors) to berth next to the dock wall. How far each ship moved would be in the ships config based on the 20m placement of the dock track.

Hmm, thinking of this, wouldn't it be much easier, since one uses invisible track, to create a kind of yard along the kay with trackmarks for different distances from the side of the dock. Just a thought.;)

Dreddman, I do like harbour athmosphere combined with trainz, as long as it isn't the build in one, but I was a little bit mislead by this threads title at first:hehe: . Btw, nice pics.

Greetings from rainy Amsterdam,

Jan

I updated my little steam schooner a while back (was it really that long ago?!) - I just need to finish the lods so I can release it.
normal_schooner_update.jpg

If I recall correctly, that transfer dock on the DLS has two invisible tracks for two different widths of ship. I think it fits both my little schooner and Whec's tramp steamer.
Speaking of which, did Whec ever release that tramp steamer?

Back