Error Code 3

Deano5

Hi all. :wave:
Does anyone know what or how to solve Error Code 3?
I had 4 sessions on different maps just crash to desktop with the message that the display driver had stopped working and recovered. I have had this on and off for a while with any of the NVidia drivers, it has even happened while using Firefox to read this forum, so it's not just Trainz related but happened 4 times last night.
Drivers are all up to date, Windows 7 HP, 2 times Nv 460GT. :confused:

Been having similar when restarting a session (unable to connect to nvidea glide driver, but has now recovered). It happens within 20 secs of starting session.
Has been happening for 3-4 weeks, I just close/stop trainz and restart session and all is ok. Not ideal but it works.
There can be no connection here but I've just done a windows update and the session started without problems.
Just gone down with error code 3 after opening a browser session while running a trainz session.

Last edited:
Depending on the browser, some of the newer browsers use the GPU for hardware acceleration, which interferes with Trainz.

The relevant settings are:

Internet Explorer: Internet Options > Advanced > Use software rendering instead of GPU Rendering (should be ticked)

Firefox: Tools > Options > Advanced > Use hardware accleration when available (should be unticked)

Google Chrome: Cannot find any hardware acceleration setting for this browser - if anyone knows otherwise, please post here.

Other browsers should be similar.

Shane

EDIT: You must restart your web browser after making this change for it to take effect.

EDIT EDIT: If it's a beta driver, try going back to the latest stable driver.

Last edited:
It's not just opening a browsing session which causes the error (I had a firefox browser open as well), opening the msi afterburner will also cause the error, just tried it and no error.(typical)
There's no 1 thing that will cause it every time.
As I said in my other post starting a trainz session would 100% every time cause it until this morning when I did a microsoft update. I've since started 2 sessions without fault.
The actual error reads-nvidea open GL driver detected a problem with the display driver and is unable to continue. error code 3.
It's an odd 1 to fault find because of the inconsistant results.

I'm wired into the internet (not wi-fi) so that's not it.
I did a system restore before and it seems I'm back to driver version 275.33.
I'll see if that cures it.

There are actually quite a few different threads over the last couple of years on this error code 3 affecting quite a few games, also happens though less often with ATI cards so I doubt it is down to graphics drivers, more likely other drivers conflicting or other applications using openGL as in the case of Firefox, which incidentally has hardware acceleration on my main PC but off on the second one which suffered from this problem, same drivers on both.

There is also another school of thought, I think I read it on the MSDN, that it is a Microsoft caused problem in Vista upwards that they are not really bothered about fixing. I guess as MS don't support OpenGL.

My theory is perhaps graphics card manufacturers should concentrate on getting existing cards working perfectly and solving annoying problems like this rather than churning out supposedly newer and better cards every couple of months.

Hi Shane.
Windows event log shows nothing (that I can see) but I did read your link with interest as I do have a D-Link card installed. I will try an update of the driver but I fail to see the connection (pardon the pun).
I'm very glad to see I'm not alone with this issue.
Cheers guys for the support. :wave:

Long shot but in the case of network card drivers, is the power saving option enabled in device manager? as that has caused various odd problems that seem unrelated over the years, disabling power saving can cure them.

Long shot but in the case of network card drivers, is the power saving option enabled in device manager? as that has caused various odd problems that seem unrelated over the years, disabling power saving can cure them.
Dumb question but how do I check in Win7?
Shane, how do I find out if there is a driver conflict? I have looked in Device Manager and have no yellow marks. I have checked again with almost everything in the list to update driver and it's all up to date.:confused:

It's best to look into updating the network card driver if it's needed first.

Do check though if the card is being read as an Atheros one, not a D-Link one.

Shane

Dumb question but how do I check in Win7?
Shane, how do I find out if there is a driver conflict? I have looked in Device Manager and have no yellow marks. I have checked again with almost everything in the list to update driver and it's all up to date.:confused:

Double click it or right click properties in device manager and click the power management tab, if there is one.

Just as a possibility, I recently was confronted with a code 10 concerning my video card. Crashed everything eventually. Turns out the problem was with RAM.

Just did a update check auto majibby on the intel site, all is fine, however it did tell me that my card with the aerials on it is a TP-Link card. The D-Link is the Virgin Media modem.
Clam, cheers I'll try that in a mo.
Ed, shush. Do you know how much that stuff cost me, I sure hope not with all it's heat sinks and whistles n bells. :eek:
I've just tried again on the Nvidia web site and the search came up nothing for error code 3. I find that hard to believe.

Just did a update check auto majibby on the intel site, all is fine, however it did tell me that my card with the aerials on it is a TP-Link card. The D-Link is the Virgin Media modem.
Clam, cheers I'll try that in a mo.
Ed, shush. Do you know how much that stuff cost me, I sure hope not with all it's heat sinks and whistles n bells. :eek:
I've just tried again on the Nvidia web site and the search came up nothing for error code 3. I find that hard to believe.

Try their forums, http://forums.nvidia.com/

They removed the long thread complaining about it around a year ago from the beta forums, a post by their tech bods stating, as far as I can remember, that it was a Microsoft problem as the reason for the removal of the thread. Not really convinced who's to blame myself.

The network card had the box checked to allow Windows to turn it off to save power, I've unchecked it so will see if that helps.

Back