env_metal textures not reflective

Zeldaboy14

Owner of ZPW.
So i just bought trainz 2019 yesterday, and i already ran into a few bugs. Main one being, the env_metal textures aren't reflective like they are supposed to be

Any legacy (non-PBR) bump materials appear to not have specular at all and if they do it must be at a near-invisible level, giving most items a dead-flat appearance. Yeah, I know switch to PBR, but let's be realistic. The legacy materials need to at least appear as good as they did before even though they could also be spruced up a little bit, but let's not settle on them looking worse.

edit: further research suggests that the specular map is being used but it isn't having the same effect on the surface.

Take two images of the same asset, one in TANE and one in 19 pre

T:ANE

the surface is contrasted and "weathered" with the spec map giving the right amount of shine for a dirty metal surface.

19 Pre

The surface is matte and almost appears to have an even coating over it. specular values from the map are in fact lightening and darkening parts of the surface diffuse texture but are "under" the matte coating so little to no effect is observed.

Last edited:
Is this what you meant? Before installing the beta, both loco's looked like they were straight out of TS12. Now they're all sh_t hot and shiny.

Please provide examples of what isn't working

I already did in a previous bug report on the 9th of August with screenshots and list of affected assets which was acknowledged and presumably ignored? As heard nothing since.

1. Bug Summary
Specular settings appear to not work in TRS2019

2. Build Number
95774 (TRS19 Beta - PC)

etc

Note shinyness was done using specular settings and not using env-metal, that has been fixed.

Back