EBT recieved something

K4driver

gone from this chaos/ruin
When you find out what is now at the East Broad top RR in Orbisonia Pa, All I ask is for you to keep discussion civil, reasonable, and not to insult anyone. You will probably find out soon, but wait till the RR says something about it, before you attack anyone...Like a certain other forum did.....

Well I don't know why it is there but it sure will take a lot of money to get it running. At least it is still in Pennsylvania

Everyone loves the EBT RR.

RPearson is working on the route in Trainz. The route once went deep all over into the backwoods, down toward the Pa Turnpike ... a very interesting route. From what I hear they actually lifted railcars at Mt Union, and put 36" NG trucks under them, temporarily, for use on their line prior to the 1950's. I would like to know where their 2 tunnels were located.

I am a member of TCR but my account got banned because of my cousins. If it's ok could someone say what happened? I understand if you are uncomfortable since people attacked the EBT for gettn' whatever it was.

Fred

Last edited:
wow...I'm praying for that old engine. Hopefully the EBT can clean up the mess Steamtown created (i think i might just have gave it away:confused: :eek:) and get her running again.

I am a member of TCR but my account got banned because of my cousins. If it's ok could someone say what happened?

Fred
I guess I should say, since everyone else knows. The boiler of Prr K4 1361, one of the 2 state locomotives of PA, was unloaded at the grounds of the East broad top RR's Orbisonia PA headquarters. No one has any idea why it is there, but For the moment, the Altoona Railroaders Memorial museum has left it there, to get it out of Steamtown. Now That I said this....Please keep it civil, don't start attacking people/the railroad/etc. It happened on another forum, so don't tell me it can't happen here.

As for Cascade, The Two tunnels were on the southern part of the line. The Tunnels are still there, but have apparently suffered from 60 years of not being attended to, and one of them apparently has suffered from the building of a road, by having the front buried by debris. http://www.spikesys.com/EBT/Tour/info.html Check that link, that is the whole RR...

Last edited:
WoW ... a 1435mm SG loco, on the tracks of a 36" NG gauge RR Line,:hehe:

As DPfan would say: the #1361 could pull the SRR #95 all the way to Orbisonia ... blub blub blub

Last time I heard only the cab and the drivers (under blue Walmart traps) were at the RR Memorial Museum in Altoona ... the remainder of the disassembled parts in Steamtown.

Last edited:
they never originally did. back in the 30's the converted an old Lumber transfer crane, to transfer cars. A really fasicinating process. The SG car would be rolled up to the crane and set the breaks. Then, the car was lifted off of it's standard gauge trucks, and those trucks were PUSHED away by employees. Next NG trucks were rolled up under the car, and lined up. Finally, The car was dropped onto the trucks, to continue it's way along the NG line. It's the same for converting back to standard gauge, only reversed. Interesting fact about it, The SG cars never very far on the southern portion due to tunnel clearances.

There is Dual gauge currently in existence, but it is an entirely different railroad, the Mount Union Connecting railroad. Back in 2004, Someone tried to get a freight service running to the industrial park, about a mile away from the yards. So they cleared the track, put in a state of the art dual gauge crossing with all the bells and gates, (one of the only ones in America if I am correct) and stablelized the track. Now we get to the part where they finally order a locomotive second hand, but the loco they ordered came DOA, with a lot of work needed to get it to run again. Also the Industrial park has not had any tenants show more than interest in it.

Last edited:
OH MY GOD! :eek: Ha ha just kidding! ;) This is actualy exciting! Steamtown has done nothing as far as I'm aware to preserve it. So my question is why would people attack the EBT? In my opinion that boiler is in better care at EBT.

Fred

Last edited:
Boilers do explode, that is why they need pressure certification. If the #1361 boiler is deemed unsafe, it can not be simply rebuilt, it would have to be fabricated all over again. Steamtown exists on free volunteers, and funding from the State & Federal Government, and Steamtown could close it's doors tomorrow as receint budget cuts are a done deal. That is why all work was halted on #1361 at Steamtown ... no money. It could be 5-10 years till she runs again, a very entailed, lengthly process costing millions.

Last edited:
I don't believe the boiler is beyond repair, I think it was just very expensive to repair.

And steamtown is not a Volunteer run area, its a National Park run by the National Park Service by Park Rangers

The Shop area does not use volunteers that I know of, it uses paid staff, which is whey they can contract work from other organizations (such as the Colorado Railroad Museum and RGS 20)

So unless the Federal Government severely cuts the budget of the National Park service, Steamtown will not go away.

However, if there is a Government shutdown, it will close until the Government opens up again

Back