Downloading from some sites

lbbo

Hi, I maybe in wrong area but I have a query as to Downloading from sites like Roltrainz. ru and trainz ro as soon as I click to download the cdp the text goes really funny and refuses to download. I have looked everywhere as to having to register but can find nothing, I have used translators and nothing shows ,is there settings to change . I have many dependencies missing and they nearly always send me to these sites. Any info would great.

No need to register

I click on 3 items in each category and was presented a standard DL box.

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks, have tried that and will save as htm doc o desktop , have then tried opening in content manager and then totally freezes computer, have checked firewall etc I is only on basically these sites I cant download

Hi, Thanks, have tried that and will save as htm doc o desktop , have then tried opening in content manager and then totally freezes computer, have checked firewall etc I is only on basically these sites I cant download

The problem is your browser doesn't recognize .cdp as a file and wants to save them as documents or html files. It may even display them as pages of smiley faces and stuff, for alack of a technical explanation. The solution is to associate .cdp files with Content Manager and in your browser, depending upon which one you use, you need to tell it to just save or download cdp files and not try to open them.

Hope this helps.

John

If you downloaded the CDP file and the name of the file is in russian change it in english and it wil open

Bringing another old stream back to life by looks

Been on this site last couple of days Clicking worked ok for me In Windows 11, Some links now saying not found or Unsafe to download, if its the 2nd you can right click on the download and then Keep and it will download ok, I don't think there is a way to add a viris to a CDP file anyway

Only , loaded them into TANE and atleast the locos seem to work ok.

Tom

I don't think there is a way to add a viris to a CDP file anyway

Masquerading as another extension is one of the oldest tricks in the malware book. It's not that someone "adds" a virus to a CDP file, but that someone targeting Trainzers could make a totally different file - such as a self-executing program - look like a CDP.

Especially in this day and age it doesn't hurt to be doubly wary of everything you see online.

Masquerading as another extension is one of the oldest tricks in the malware book. It's not that someone "adds" a virus to a CDP file, but that someone targeting Trainzers could make a totally different file - such as a self-executing program - look like a CDP.

Especially in this day and age it doesn't hurt to be doubly wary of everything you see online.
Yes, this is totally true. Most PCs by default don't show file extensions so a file named mytrain.cdp.exe appears to be mytrain.cdp to many users.

I went to the local InfraGard meeting last week the speaker gave a talk on how the FBI and the NSA now estimates that over 2 billion devices are now infected with malware worldwide. Botnets are now able to infect smart phones and tablets as well as computers.

I have protection Never click on CDP to inport it and if it does not show up as a when I try to inport in program it figure its corrupt and delete it.

Tom

It's disgusting that Microsoft dumbed things down and hides extensions by default and has done so since Windows 9x. You can enable that function by clicking on Computer, or This Computer these days, then clicking on Options and then the View tab.

In among the list of things is to enable show extensions and also to unhide system folders. Unhiding the folders makes it easier to find the Trainz data folder if it's located in the default location.

The cdp file doesn't self-extract. The Trainz program is what executes the function to extract the archive. Technically, this should prevent a virus from installing because Trainz reads the file header rather than the extension. This is why we've seen messages such as invalid archive when a cdp is corrupted.

What can occur, however, is files that are infected within the cdp file. At one time, there was malware that targeted jpg files and other common image types. When the asset is opened, the malware is executed wreaking havoc on the system.

The only defense we have is to scan our systems for malware. While it's recommended to turn off real-time scanning of our Trainz folders and program, having real-time scanning enabled for other folders as well as regularly running a malware scan can go pretty far in preventing infections on computer systems.

Last edited:
Back