Computer for TS12

Amtrak72

WWII/Train Enthusiast
After some consideration I am planning to get the Trainz 10th anniversary Collectors edition this christmas. Since i'll be getting TS12, i need to know what kind of computer is good for it. My old computer was a bust(had it for 5 years). It was a slow computer. I used to have TS2009 installed, and it would take FOREVER to load a route. And then I started having problems with the computer(not related to trainz) so I decided it was time for it to go. Anyways, I have my eyes set on one computer that has some pretty good specs-

Dell - XPS Desktop

OS- Win7 Home Premium (64-bit_

Processor- Intel Core i7

Processor speed- 3.4 GHz

RAM- 8GB (expandable to 16GB)

Graphics- ATI Radeon HD 6770

Video Memory- 1GB

Would this be a suitable computer for TS12? The specs are better than the ones that are recommended by Auran, but I need to be sure so thats why I posted. Here is the link on where I found it(Best Buy)-http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+XPS+Desktop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+8GB+Memory/3152075.p?id=1218380510247&skuId=3152075

Any help is appreciated:)

Last edited:
Good specs, though I can't stress enough that building one yourself is much better. Dells (and most OEMs, for that matter) then to have mediocre performance, due in part to the spyware, adware, bloatware, and crap they preload onto their systems.

That said, if you're going to go with a pre-built, that isn't bad.

Asus 17" screen laptop 2.4Ghz I7 will cost @ $1000, and will have 8Gb Ram, a 1Tb HD, and a 2Gb Video Card

A Desktop @ $800

Or turn you old clunker Desktop into a super computer for $500 or less.

Last edited:
Sounds good.

My big question is, will the graphic card be enough to support TS12 so that it doesnt crash?

1Gb dedicated graphics card or better, is what it needs.

I had to buy a 300 Watt video card, as my PC has a 300 Watt power supply.

Either that or upgrade the PS to a higher wattage, so I could get a 500+ Watt video card.

Ok sounds good thanks guys for the help!!! hopefully i'll get the computer no later than black friday(after thanksgiving).

Another find!

OKAY!!!!! i hate to open this up again but i need a new opinion.

I was just recently at best buy, and I found another computer (still a Dell XPS), but it is cheaper, and i think the specs are still good, but I need some opinions.

Here are the specs for the other computer I found.

Product link-http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Studio+XPS+Desktop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+6GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive/3152172.p?id=1218380519466&skuId=3152172

Here are the specs-

O.S- Win 7 (64-bit)

Hard Drive- 1TB

CPU- Intel i5 3.0 GHz (4-way processing(4 cores I think is what it means?))

RAM- 6GB (expandable to 16GB)

Graphics- AMD Radeon HD 6450

Graphics Memory- 1GB

Could this computer be suitable for TS12 also?

ANy help is appreciated :)

To Amtrak72: Re Intel I7 CPU (your original post)

Absolutely like that idea. There are some who say that an I7 is not that much better than an I5 - let's see what comments you get on your latest post where you are considering an I5. My current PC has an Intel I3 and its very frustrating to be tooling along at 50 FPS and still get stuttering, which others have commented as being due to multiple consists, nowhere near the train I am following, which Trainz still must keep track of.

As important as good video cards are to Trainz, let's not forget the importance of a top notch CPU as well.

My next PC, in the planning stage, will probably have an Intel I7. But if someone can make the case for an I5, I'm willing to listen.

Last edited:
OKAY!!!!! i hate to open this up again but i need a new opinion.

I was just recently at best buy, and I found another computer (still a Dell XPS), but it is cheaper, and i think the specs are still good, but I need some opinions.

Here are the specs for the other computer I found.

Product link-http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...rive/3152172.p?id=1218380519466&skuId=3152172

Here are the specs-

O.S- Win 7 (64-bit)

Hard Drive- 1TB

CPU- Intel i5 3.0 GHz (4-way processing(4 cores I think is what it means?))

RAM- 6GB (expandable to 16GB)

Graphics- AMD Radeon HD 6450

Graphics Memory- 1GB

Could this computer be suitable for TS12 also?

ANy help is appreciated :)

Errgggh...another problem with OEMs bought from big box stores...you're stuck with what they provide you.

That 6450 is a crappy video card. Well, I don't know that card, but I know the class: VERY low-end. Otherwise, the system specs are great, especially considering the price difference. And the problem is, that card is so low-powered (in terms of electrical draw, not just performance) that I can't be sure you wouldn't need a power supply upgrade if I were to recommend a video card upgrade.

So, ultimately, you're going to have to pay $949 for a machine that SHOULD be able to do the job for about $699.

Listen, take a look at Dell and see if you can build the same machine but with a better video card. Expect it to add another $50 or so to the price, but to otherwise be the same machine listed there. I do think the prices at Dell.com and in the big box stores are close, unless Best Buy is trying to move some inventory, or it's a Black Friday special. If it turns out that's a Best Buy special, then you're better off going with the $949 machine.

Last edited:
Just a thought - have you tried looking on ebay? One guy there had an outrageously powerful gaming PC for sale.

Back