Compatibility/Performance menu option

ColPrice2002

I've just discovered the following:-

Import old route
Change option to "performance" from "compatibility"
Notice odd things - track disappearing (Mine basic)
industries suddenly have "no path"

DON'T change from compatibility to performance without a backup!

Colin

Yup I discovered that myself!

It's like that red button on a control panel with the do not touch written on it that everyone wants to touch!

Question:

Does returning the settings to compatibility mode restore the route to normal operation?

Hi John and Colin.

With Tane SP2, SP3 and now with TRS2019 N3V has made quite a lot of some script APIs become obsolete and offers some other new APIs to obtain the same results with better script performance. But this means that the scripts code using these now legacy APIs should be rewritten to use the new interfaces.
In SP2, SP3 and TRS2019 with compatibility option, both APIs are available and works. With TRS2019 objects stream and max performance option activated, old script APIs do not return the same results or even no longer works. You can safely switch to objects stream or max performance only if all your scripted assets have been migrated, which is now probably the case of all base scripted assets, rules, and driver commands developped and maintained by N3V, but not currently the case for most builtin or downloaded from DLS third party scripted assets.

If you have not saved your session under these new options and you switch back to compatibility mode, you should retrieve your session working as before. If you have saved your session under the new options, the results may be unpredictable for third party scripted assets if they have not migrated their code …

Practically, you may use cuurently these new options only if you don't use any third party scripted assets. If not, stay in compatibility mode for a few months (at least end of the year) so that third party script authors can have enough time to migrate and test their new code.
For my own assets I have nearly 70 assets that have already been migrated under SP2 and SP3 to the new interfaces, but I have still to test them under the new options and fix the few problems that will surely be encountered. I don't expect to be ready to support these new options before end of the year, at least …

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Pierre.

Last edited:
Yup I discovered that myself!

It's like that red button on a control panel with the do not touch written on it that everyone wants to touch!

Question:

Does returning the settings to compatibility mode restore the route to normal operation?
Short answer "no"

Pierre,
Thank you very much for the full and complete information. Unfortunately, I suspect many old assets are now abandoned by the original creator.

Regards,

Colin

Actually, there is some hope here - I noticed that my Searchlight 04 signals weren't changing aspect in external camera view, whereas in the Driver's Track Profile, they were shown at the correct colour and AI drivers observed these.
As soon as I reverted to 'Compatibility Mode', the signals showed their correct state/ colours again in external camera view.

Recommend, as others do above, to leave this setting in 'Compatibility Mode' for the next few months at least, whilst efforts are made to update some of these legacy scripts, rules and assets.

Actually, there is some hope here - I noticed that my Searchlight 04 signals weren't changing aspect in external camera view, whereas in the Driver's Track Profile, they were shown at the correct colour and AI drivers observed these.
As soon as I reverted to 'Compatibility Mode', the signals showed their correct state/ colours again in external camera view.

Recommend, as others do above, to leave this setting in 'Compatibility Mode' for the next few months at least, whilst efforts are made to update some of these legacy scripts, rules and assets.

That's good to know regarding setting the switch back to compatibility mode.

I agree let's wait on those things.

Back