Chicago Metro V1

twarner

Around since 2001
Thanks Sniper for this excellent route and its associated session.

The whole area is beautifully constructed and the session is, so far, working seamlessly.

Love the ship and its routing. Also the wide use of static wagons everywhere which really give the 'lived in' effect without framerate degradation.

A work of art!:cool:

Terry

A work of art!

Thanks! Mission accomplished, "work of art" is exactly what I was trying to do when I wasn't getting bogged down in technical stuff. :hehe: Which there's a lot of, I lost count of how many loose consist cars are scattered around the route but using regular cars instead of the "sleep script" cars cuts the framerates in half on my system.

Be advised this is version 1, so bugs found and reported now will be fixed in version 2 or 3, whatever I miss that don't get reported will still be in version 6 a year from now.

Great route!

Obviously I agree with that, since it was tailor made to my own personal tastes. :hehe: Main purpose of the templ8 session is to BE a template, so if you're in the mood, feel free to change out all the Chicago Metro and PO&N stock for C&NW, CB&Q, and CMSP&P stuff, and upload same. I'd love to play other people's sessions on this route, I'm especially fond of the Chicago & NorthWestern since I was born right by 40th Street yard.

Burlington ain't really near prototype, since the real thing runs on an angle rather than due east and west, but it was faster to build that way and my main focus was the C&NW and Lake Street L - my lullaby songs when I was a bitty baby boy. :cool: Gonna get more unprototype for operational fun - Ravenswood L will bend the wrong way, go down into the subway east of the lake, then south to the stockyards, rejoin at Tower 12 on Wabash. Purists will shudder, but more fun to drive. :p

Running the 1.2 version and its associated session but there don't appear to be any of the ChiMet 4000 cars appearing in the session.

Am I missing something?

Terry

Note to sniper297 re Lake St L

I am old enough to remember when the Lake Street L went down to grade level (I think around Laramie) and then went west along the south side of the C&NW embankment out to Forest Park.

Since I grew up in Berwyn, as kids we would ride our bikes down to the CB&Q since it ran at grade level and train watching was easier there. Illinois Central had a line through Berwyn but I don't think it was used much.

Last edited:
Good memory, it was actually just west of Laramie (5200W), the ramp started down at Lockwood (5300W) and hit the ground before Long (5400W) so about an 18 foot drop in 660 feet or less. I was born near Cicero & Lake Street (and yes, I'm aware Cicero was a center platform, I'll find a suitable one someday) and moved to Lockwood and Fulton in 1963, so I had a front row seat for the construction of the S curve onto the C&NW viaduct, and seeing the L tracks on the ground torn up and paved over. They had already paved over the streetcar tracks, fortunately for me my Dad was a CTA streetcar motorman until 1956, so I got plenty of streetcar rides as a wee snotty tot. :cool:

28396_113141065396849_100001028687859_86618_7230771_n.jpg

Cicero & Lake under the L before the streetcar tracks were paved over;

28396_113141808730108_100001028687859_86625_1649760_n.jpg

Scanned from an old newspaper clipping, Central (5600W) and Lake Street in the early 50s.

Which associated session?

Chicago Metro subway templ8
Description:
Subway and Elevated train session for Chicago Metro Version 1.2. Drive the new subway line and Ravenswood. Thanks to Mike Ward for beta testing.

Dated 30 Aug.

Terry

Okay, the regular sessions for the freight and passenger routes won't have L trains, but that one should be all L trains except for the steamship cruising up and down the river. In content manager I select the session and right click, view dependencies, and get this;

Not faulty: BOAT - steam ship, cruise
Not faulty: Chicago Metro V1.2
Not faulty: ChiMet 4000A
Not faulty: ChiMet 4000B
Not faulty: ChiMet 4000C
Not faulty: ChiMet 4000D
Not faulty: ChiMet 4000E
Not faulty: Passengers
Not faulty: Trigger Multiple Signals

All that should download automatically with the session, if it doesn't select "View in main list" and download anything that has the DS icon instead of the local icon. You should start in the south side yard with a six car L train;

22458643.jpg

Are you getting empty track when you start?

I think I've found the problem. The version 1.2 of the route has correctly overwritten vers 1.0 but the only session I have showing there is still the template for ver 1.0.

It all seems fine in CM though with all the street cars having downloaded OK. They are also available in Surveyor so I'll try a redownload of the session.

Terry

Edit: Yep, that did the trick. I removed and redownloaded the session and it now shows up. Go figure!

Last edited:
Well, they have been tightening loose screws on the upload 'bot, maybe they'll get to fixing the download helper one of these days. Downloading the route to a clean default copy of TS12 yesterday along with the new multiplayer session didn't go too badly, about two hours worth and only a couple dozen dependencies of dependencies that had to be hunted down and manually installed. Missed one tho, for some reason grayballast texture doesn't appear in the dependencies. And of course we got the new spline weirdness, Roosevelt station on the subway has the roof down on the floor and a couple of signal bridges are all twisted up in TS12. Dunno if I should try to fix that or wait for the next TS12 patch and see if they undo whatever they did to the splines.

For TS2010 all the existing sessions except the multiplayer test should work, let me know if you find one that don't. Allegedly this will all work in TS2009 SP4, anyone with TS2009 tried it yet?

Well, they have been tightening loose screws on the upload 'bot, maybe they'll get to fixing the download helper one of these days. Downloading the route to a clean default copy of TS12 yesterday along with the new multiplayer session didn't go too badly, about two hours worth and only a couple dozen dependencies of dependencies that had to be hunted down and manually installed. Missed one tho, for some reason grayballast texture doesn't appear in the dependencies. And of course we got the new spline weirdness, Roosevelt station on the subway has the roof down on the floor and a couple of signal bridges are all twisted up in TS12. Dunno if I should try to fix that or wait for the next TS12 patch and see if they undo whatever they did to the splines.

For TS2010 all the existing sessions except the multiplayer test should work, let me know if you find one that don't. Allegedly this will all work in TS2009 SP4, anyone with TS2009 tried it yet?

Sniper....

I use TS09...SP4

Where do I download it?....DLS, CMP

Thanks,
Ron

Back