Changing Smoke

skidmark22

Retired MX Mis.Test Pilot
I am curious if it is possible to change to smoke on a steam engine or is that something which has to be done during creation? I would love to add "twinkle smoke" (I believe that is what it is called) to some of the Ben Neal Baldwins and other USA steamers. I can only find it (twinkle smoke) on European vapor machines like the Renfe 141-2103.

An example of what I am talking about..

twinklez.jpg
blacktube.jpg

Smoke is added in the config.txt file to an attachment point on the mesh. So you can change the look of smoke by editing the config.txt file.

Heavy smoke consumes resources so you might like to lessen the smoke on a less powerful machine.

You can add attachments points to a mesh with one of Pev's tools so you have more or less full control over smoke without touching the mesh. There is a slight performance penalty for adding a second mesh like this.

Cheerio John

Smoke is added in the config.txt file to an attachment point on the mesh. So you can change the look of smoke by editing the config.txt file.

Heavy smoke consumes resources so you might like to lessen the smoke on a less powerful machine.

You can add attachments points to a mesh with one of Pev's tools so you have more or less full control over smoke without touching the mesh. There is a slight performance penalty for adding a second mesh like this.

Cheerio John
Thanks John. I am glad to hear that it is possible. Me being able to figure it out is something entirely different. :confused:
Is there a tutorial somewhere on doing this? I know nothing about the PEV tools at all even though I have the PEVSoft PM2IM on my computer. I have never used it.

Here is a part of the config file for the Renfe 141-2103 which I believe is the twinkle smoke.

smoke1
{
attachment "a.smoke0"
mode "anim"
maxspeedkph 50
enabled 1
file "vapor1MS.tfx"

Can I assume that the "vapor1MS.tfx" file is in my assets somewhere and can I assume that the "attachment" of 'a.smoke0" is the attach point? The answer to these will get me started. Thanks

edit: I found a tutorial on the PEV mesh attachment tool at TRD but don't know where to locate the .im files.

Last edited:
Back