Can anyone tell me if re-skinning is possible Trainz 2012?

Haccp4me

The River Run
I have tried for some month now to do some re skinning. I downloaded "Train mesh viewer" and "Paint Net" and then followed the different "how to do" from Trainz WIKI . I successfully loaded the Loco on the TMV but cannot open any file with the extension "IM". According to the instruction a folder should have open this file and display some TGA files for editing . This did not happened . So checking back I realize that the mesh Viewer was designed for TR 2009 & 2010. Furthermore simplified instructions from Wiki "how to re-skin" clearly explain for TGA files for which are not there in 2012

Hello,

If you're reskinning a built-in, clone it first, and also download Images2TGA, to convert the .texture files.

.IM files are meshes and can be viewed with Mesh Viewer 2, also by PEV and available on Shane Turner's site.

Kieran.

I downloaded "Train mesh viewer" and "Paint Net" and then followed the different "how to do" from Trainz WIKI . I successfully loaded the Loco on the TMV but cannot open any file with the extension "IM".

The only time you would open a file with extension im is if you are using PEV's mesh viewer. You do not edit the im file or access the images through it. If you can see the im file in the folder then the images should be other files in that folder. If you can view the asset in the mesh viewer you can forget about the im file.

According to the instruction a folder should have open this file and display some TGA files for editing . This did not happened .

Then you need to find out why. Perhaps you are using a very old asset that only has .texture files. In that case you need to use Images2TGA to get the TGA files out of the .texture files.

So checking back I realize that the mesh Viewer was designed for TR 2009 & 2010.

There are several mesh viewers available but AFAIK one that works with 2009/2010 will work with 2012. Or, rather, one that works with asset build numbers 2.9 will work with all later build numbers.

Furthermore simplified instructions from Wiki "how to re-skin" clearly explain for TGA files for which are not there in 2012

TGA files will be there in any reasonably recent asset - certainly anything created under build 2.9 and later. But there are many assets with older build numbers that still work in 2012 - you would be best off avoiding them until you are experienced with reskinning. Also, do not reskin built-in assets with older build numbers or you will also likely need to carry out other fixes, some of which may become quite complex.

Thanks Kieran and BuilderBob for your prompt reply, I have downloaded Images2TGA and will have another try once my head is clear. I truly appreciated your reply.
regards
Charles

Back