Buying things off turbosquid.com question

If they are in a compatible file format, then probably. You'd have to make sure they come with textures that are in the correct proportions for Trainz (dimensions always a power of 2), or resize them. The only restriction is likely to be in distributing them (so you can't upload them with your route), unless the license specifically says you can, or you get specific permission from the creator. If that's a problem (I guess you'd like to share your Melbourne route eventually - at least, I hope so), then a polite request on the forums can often get what you're missing made...

Paul

Thanks paul,

i came across this today and wet my self.. not really:hehe:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/city-tram-max/433628

But going by what you said it does not seem to have textures..

i dont understand the rest.. any other help??

As for putting the route up for download... ive collected things from all over the place and would have no idea where half the stuff came from or have edited it in someway and finding permission would prob be to much hassel.

I would have thought someone else would have done one by now... i dont even live in melbourne lol... Yet

Nice, but you'll need 3DSMax to open it and get it working in Trainz. You'd also need to split it up into appropriate parts (bogies, doors, pantograph etc) and add attachment points so Trainz can put them back again and operate everything. It's a fair amount of work when you've paid $90. I'm also a little concerned that the poly count is too high for Trainz (perhaps OK in TS2009). I'm not sure about textures. The reference to UV mapping for 3DSMax implies that it's at least set up for textures.

Looking at the EULA, it looks like you could distribute the Trainz version of the model, so long as it was in a format that isn't generally re-usable. I notice there's a free tram in .3ds format also on the site - you could have a look at this one using GMax, and see where you get without spending any actual cash...

As for the route, many people are prepared to hunt for content, and the forum is a good place to help other track it down. Re-skins would need permission, but many creators permit this (some say so in their config files).

Paul

Thanks paul,

i came across this today and wet my self.. not really:hehe:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/city-tram-max/433628

But going by what you said it does not seem to have textures..

i dont understand the rest.. any other help??

As for putting the route up for download... ive collected things from all over the place and would have no idea where half the stuff came from or have edited it in someway and finding permission would prob be to much hassel.

I would have thought someone else would have done one by now... i dont even live in melbourne lol... Yet

Note the polygons 227,000, this is about 30 times the number that Trainz guidelines would suggest is a suitable number for a locomotive. Finding low poly items that look good is difficult.

Cheerio John

Back