British rail question

nuni727

Hi,

I was wondering if double cab locomotives such as the Class 37's , 40's and 55's have a reverser on each cab. Also, if one is going to drive from one cab, does the reverser on the other cab have to be removed?

Hi,

I was wondering if double cab locomotives such as the Class 37's , 40's and 55's have a reverser on each cab. Also, if one is going to drive from one cab, does the reverser on the other cab have to be removed?

As far as I'm aware, all of the british engines had a fixed reverser lever in each cab (even prior to the cab refurbishments). The 'interlock' used is a master key (don't over-imagine a complex key system, they were usually just a simple L shaped piece of metal :) rather than the removable reverser lever that the American locomotives use.

You can probably get a good feel for british operating procedures by reading some of the driving manuals such as this:

http://www.locodocs.co.uk/brmanuals/25DrivingInstructions&Prep-33003-104-1964/photo9.html

(Main page for manual:
http://www.locodocs.co.uk/brmanuals/25DrivingInstructions&Prep-33003-104-1964.htm )

(That's a specific page in the class 25 manual for procedure when exiting one cab and entering another, note that it states that the reverser is left in neutral, then the master key is removed).

Things may have changed with the newer non-British Made locomotives though.

Last edited:
Cab controls on most UK diesel / electrics where fixed in place both ends , Drivers carry a BR drivers key which fits in to the desk and unlocks it .

Having both desks unlocked usually created problems (loss of control air etc) . Plus the AWS would have to be activated (lever up and press cancellation button) in the cab to be able to charge up the brake pipe . If you had left the AWS activated in the other cab then you wouldn't be able to cancel it in the other once you'd lifted the lever .

59 / 66 / 67 uses the standard US system of having one reverser lever per loco (was a pain in the backside to remember to take it with you when you changed ends) .
They also use a standard GM control pedestal (for reverser /throttle) but to save money redesigning it for left hand drive they simply rotated it 180 degrees so we ended up with a throttle that you push forward to notch up (most UK loco's you pull back the throttle to power up) ! That caused a few closes shaves back when the 66's where first introduced !

92's have back to front controls as well (throttle forward to take power and pull brake control back to reduce air in train brake pipe) this was at the insistence of the French railway unions (who's train cab controls operate in the same manner) yet the 92's where never designed for full use in France and do most of their work over here !!

Last edited:
(don't over-imagine a complex key system, they were usually just a simple L shaped piece of metal :) rather than the removable reverser lever that the American locomotives use.

WRONG!!! This is a BR EP key as its also known as:

dscf4715fy.jpg

dscf4716f.jpg

The reason I posess one, is because I was hoping to start driving on the MHR, even if it wasn't used for that purpose, I still retain it (as I did own it outright) for use on the Class 45, which regulary needs to have the triple pump run, etc.
They are also a very high security risk, although in reality, they are pretty much useless without a BR No.1 key and a BR Carriage key/Tool, depending on the locomotive and you should only ever posess one, if your duties require you to really.

Last edited:
Back