Big Bertha Rides Again

Hey Paul,

It's a bit of a while since we've spoken. I've used the Bertha quite a lot now (just for fun I've been using her for the Hawes Junction sessions instead of the diesels) and I'd say she is probably the most detailed locomotive I have on my PC.

I found this a few days ago. It's a photograph of a model of Bertha from the National Railway Museum in York.

lms_0_10_0_banking_engine_by_rlkitterman-d576z9e.jpg

Got to say, your virtual model looks very similar, bar maybe the shiny paint.

Wow! Isn't that just gorgeous? I vaguely remember seeing the model when I was there two years back but didn't take a photo. Photos of models in glass boxes don't always work because of reflections but that looks great. If, and when, I get back to the UK I will have another look and try and pick up on some detail I missed.

There are some pending updates for BB when I find time. PEV noted I had missed a link on the reverser gear (left side looking from the front) and there are some minor changes to the engine spec. When I do those I might revisit this photo.

It's a pity the cab interior is not in view. My cab was mostly guesswork!

Well, I've not visited the NRM in about ten years, so I think I'll make a trip there soon. If I get there before you, I'll be sure to take a lot of photographs, the cab in particular.

Looks like she may have been a bit more decorated than we thought though. Bits of brass and bare steel everywhere.

Its the detail of the Walschaerts gear that interests me. Some of my model was guesswork. Its a real shame it was not preserved. I doubt if the sand box lids were polished!

Back