Ben Neal's Baldwin steam locomotives

philskene

Early next week this thumbnail should appear on the Download Station:

sweeper2_3.jpg

It's a session for Harbor Master called "Sweeper2". Your task is to drop off and pick up freight cars on a trip working on Harbor Master.
_____

Chuck and Joe, this is the Dispatcher. The Sweeper again.
Coal and water your locomotive.
Pick up the cars at the Classification Yard and take the east bound route past Portland Cement, up to the Boutique unloaders, past Hyde and the Timber Wharf, reverse into Ships Chandlers, proceed through Heavy Lift and up past Oleo.
Leave the VR cement cars at Portland, the UP box cars in front of the main brick building at Hyde, the empty log skeletons at Timber Wharf, the NP tuscan box cars in one of the spurs at Ships Chandlers, and the GN green box cars in the back loop at Oleo.
Pick up all freight cars as you go. Remember to attach the loaded flats at Heavy Lift.
There is no need to unload or load cars.
Others who have done this shift say that it is easiest to sort the consists in the Classification Yard in the correct sequence and place the cars that have been picked up at the rear of the train. Leave these cars at Classification. They will be sorted by the next shift.
Sign off at the hut down in Classification.
You must keep within the prescribed speed limits and you must give way to all other trains. Keep a good lookout.
Dispatcher out.

_____

All the assets needed by the session are on the Download Station, apart from the Baldwin steam locomotives by Ben Neal.

TRS2004 and 06 users should download the Mogul, Decapod and the Common and Cab files from Ben's site, here:
http://www.steammachine.com/bdaneal/gbdl.htm

Ben kindly gave me permission to modify three of his locomotives to work in TRS2009. TRS2009 users should therefore download this file:
http://rapidshare.com/files/258633904/BenNealBaldwins_TRS2009.zip

_____
  • Note:
TS12 users should download this file:
https://www.rapidshare.com/files/336061730/Loco_US_BenNealBaldwins_v3.zip
_____

The session is for TRS2004 and 06, but it will run considerably better in TRS2009 in Compatibility Mode - frame rates are better and the AI is much, much smoother.

The session will take about 1h30 to complete.

I'd strongly suggest using Cab Mode. It's much more realistic and Ben's steamers, at least in TRS2009, perform admirably.

As always, give way to all AI trainz.

sweeper2_4.jpg

sweeper2_5.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Phil, and thank you for updating some of Ben's locomotives to 2009! Is there any chance Ben will host the updated versions on his site at some time in the future?

Curtis

Thank you Phil, and thank you for updating some of Ben's locomotives to 2009! Is there any chance Ben will host the updated versions on his site at some time in the future?

Curtis
I have fixed most of them not including the 2-10-0. For some resone it wont run in dcc. Ill have to ask him. But there all in Minnesota & Western Livery.

I'm getting a Fatal Error when I try to load Sweeper2 in TRS2004.
I get the window that says Custom Content is not installed and I have the option of loading the map or search for the missing assets. I load anyway and it looks like it starts to load and then the fatal error. The Seaching for missing assets option didn't come up with anything.
I've downloaded Cabs, Commom Files, Decapods and Light Mogul and installed them in 2004.
I have 5 other Sessions for Harbor Master and they load OK.
Trainz Objects says both Harbor Master and Sweeper 2 have no missing objects.

Hi Jim --

OK - I've found what's happened. The flat cars over in the port area have plate girders as the load. I know from past experience that Download Helper will not capture this directly, so I manually added the kuid of the load to the config.txt file of the session so that it would be captured.

Unfortunately, and for reasons I don't understand, it seems that Content Dispatcher striped it out.

I will upload a kuid2: :2 version of the session with this line of text added:

The session also requires kuid:124017:27013 "Plate Girder - 60' x 6' (product)" from the Download Station.

Please tell me if this cures the problem.

Phil

Edit:
The AI works very smoothly in TRS2009 because it gets shunted off onto the second core of multi-core PCs. Do you mind telling me how TRS2004 copes with this on your PC?

Last edited:
Hi Phil,
I've made a little bit of progress after download the plate girders. I still get the window with the option of loading the map or searching for missing assets.
What happens now is I end up with a blue screen and it's raining. Using the Page Up, Page Down and Arrow buttons, I end up seeing the sky with clouds in the upper third of the screen. I also have the icons (cab view, external view, etc. in the upper right and the icons in the lower right.
Checking Trainz Objectz, it tell's me that 124017:27012:1 is not used in any map.
I also have Harbor Master 1b installed in TRS2006. I imported the Mogul, Decapod, Common and Cab files. I already had 124017:27012:1 from an earlier install. It loaded fine with no problems.
I also have 2009 installed. I'm going to give that a try and see what happens.

I just downloaded and got it to install in 2009 with no problems. I haven't tried running it yet in either 2006 and 2009.
By the way, 2004 is build 2365.

Jim --

If " ... I end up seeing the sky with clouds in the upper third of the screen" it probably means that the locomotive itself is not present.

I think you might be missing the sound files for the steamers. Fire up TrainzObjectz (make sure it's version 6) and make sure the locomotives have all the dependencies.

Phil

Back