Attaching Track, Splines and Turntable mechanics, animations etc.

NSWGR_5910

Eno Silvie
I've been working on a project which is to recreate Broadmeadow Roundhouse, as Broadmeadow roundhouse is basically where I live and it was a area which many 59s could be seen working in and out of there. I've hit a buffer stop (wasn't that lame) in the project, makng the turntable work, attaching track to the roundhouse/turntable, making track attachable to the turntable and doing the pits in the roundhouse as well as when it gets exported from Sketchup to Blender, what do you have to do in blender to make it usable in Trainz.

-Eno Silvie

Extreme accuracy is needed when placing the various track attachment points. Doing it by hand is almost impossible for anything with more then 2 tracks. While I work in Gmax what I do should also be possible in Blender. I use an array command in the rotational mode. I position one track attachment point very accurately (usually at 0 or 90 degrees) then use the array command to position the rest. You will have to re-name them but this method gets the required accuracy pretty much all at once. I can't imagine that blender doesn't have a similar command.

Its also very important all the track attachment points be at the same height. This can cause derailments when entering or leaving the turntable if not.

One oddity in Gmax is this can only be done in the perspective view. It doesn't come out correctly in the top view. A glitch in Gmax I suspect. Hope this gives you an idea.

Ben

Extreme accuracy is needed when placing the various track attachment points. Doing it by hand is almost impossible for anything with more then 2 tracks. While I work in Gmax what I do should also be possible in Blender. I use an array command in the rotational mode. I position one track attachment point very accurately (usually at 0 or 90 degrees) then use the array command to position the rest. You will have to re-name them but this method gets the required accuracy pretty much all at once. I can't imagine that blender doesn't have a similar command.

Its also very important all the track attachment points be at the same height. This can cause derailments when entering or leaving the turntable if not.

One oddity in Gmax is this can only be done in the perspective view. It doesn't come out correctly in the top view. A glitch in Gmax I suspect. Hope this gives you an idea.

Ben

How is the attachment point done? e.g File - Settings etc. that sort of thing

-Eno Silvie

Back