April 1st, Im freaking out!!!!

NIARTcar

Graphic Designer for Amtr
I've heard of a massive virus thats in circulation thats supposed to go of on the fist....... and im freaking out! i dont want to lose route data

can trainz routes be backed up onto CDs? i want to be able to check, please responed,
ive been working on a few routes forever, and if i lose the data, im gonna die..

sorry for the panicked message, but im really shooken up, please help

thank you

Dang, calm down before you blow a gasket ;)

If you're not running decent router/firewall and anti virus (or any other terminology for being secure on the net) then worry somewhat

If you want just unplug net access switch pc off and walk/drive to nearest internet cafe and check to see that all's well

It sounds like you need to google a bit to put your mind at ease ;)

Anyways if you're worried i think you are a candidate to maybe at some time to get infected (i mean this in a non nasty way) Maybe easier to put it simply, if you're worried about rumours of a virus outbreak then to me from an external viewpoint i feel you have no idea how secure or how to secure your data/privacy

Anyways, i only have ts2009, but in that if you search the forum you will find a howto to back up what you want, i've done it and it splits into 4gig chunks or something like that amount, then you can burn to dvd etc etc

If you think you are at risk google for some answers and educate yourself to put your mind at ease

Hope you don't take offence to this post it's certainly not meant that way

Have Fun

Tony

You have two choices. Back up the c:\program files\auran directory tree or create CDPs for the content you want to save and copy them to CD/DVD.

Or you can invest in a good virus scaning program and a good firewall. Also insure you have appropriate OS patches installed. Next research the Confiker worm at reliable sites such as AVG and the major AV vendors.

RW-DVD 4.7Gb

A RW-DVD holds 4.7Gb...a very useful tool for backing up personal photos and Trainz routes and content. I like RW-DVD because you can edit it over and over again, and change content.

You should do this all the time...not just for this one particular worm event...or is it a hoax ???

i do have a firewall program, im just making sure that it should cover the virus, i just dont want to lose a route,.... and thankyou, i just backed it up on a CD, so i should be good (just in case)

I've heard of a massive virus thats in circulation thats supposed to go of on the fist....... and im freaking out! i dont want to lose route data

can trainz routes be backed up onto CDs? i want to be able to check, please responed,
ive been working on a few routes forever, and if i lose the data, im gonna die..

sorry for the panicked message, but im really shooken up, please help

thank you

Check to see if Windows automatic updates is still enabled. If it is you are safe. This particular malware disables Windows automatic updates.

Cheerio John

Frikin A

I have an external box for another hard disk, is like a second computer to save everything as backup! As for freakin, you got nothin to worry bout dude! How many time the world was supposted to end already! Now look at my point of view- I'm starin the double nickel in the face come the 13th!

G'day AC,

...starin the double nickel in the face...
...been there, done that. Just relax.

G'day NIARTcar,

...you relax too!...

...It's all a load of rubbish...

...mark my words...

Jerker {:)}

Last edited:
NIARTcar said: “April 1st, I'm freaking out!!!!”

And if true, they have succeeded in doing exactly what they wanted *you* to do.

Last edited:
Conficker...

Nick, I wouldn't be to worried if you are running a good A/V & firewall.
It's wise to always have all your important Trainz's stuff backed up. (It's not only viruses you need to be concerned about). :confused:

Here's a recent article that might put your mind a bit more at rest...

Fears of a Conficker meltdown greatly exaggerated
Researchers say that Conficker will probably not cause much damage on April 1 (By Robert McMillan San Francisco)

Worries that the notorious Conficker worm will somehow rise up and devastate the Internet on April 1 are misplaced, security experts said Friday.

Conficker is thought to have infected more than 10 million PCs worldwide, and researchers estimate that several million of these machines remain infected. If the criminals who created the network wanted to, they could use this network to launch a very powerful distributed denial of service (DDOS) attack against other computers on the Internet.

April 1 is the day that the worm is set to change the way it updates itself, moving to a system that is much harder to combat, but most security experts say that this will have little effect on most computer users' lives.

Nevertheless, many people are worried, according to Richard Howard, director of iDefense Security Intelligence. "We have been walking customers down from the ledge all day," he said. Often, the problem has been that company executives have read reports of some April 1st incident and then proceed to "get their IT and security staffs spun up," Howard said in an email interview.

That hype will probably intensify when the US TV newsmagazine 60 Minutes airs a report Sunday on Conficker, entitled "The Internet is Infected."

Conficker "could be triggered, maybe on April 1st ... but no one knows whether on April 1st they'll just issue an instruction that says 'Just continue sitting there' or whether it will start stealing our money or creating a spam attack," CBS reporter Lesley Stahl said in a preview interview ahead of the show. "The truth is, nobody knows what it's doing there."

April 1 is what Conficker researchers are calling a trigger date, when the worm will switch the way it looks for software updates. The worm has already had several such trigger dates, including January 1, none of which had any direct impact on IT operations, according to Phil Porras, a program director with SRI International who has studied the worm.

"Technically, we will see a new capability, but it complements a capability that already exists," Porras said. Conficker is currently using peer-to-peer file sharing to download updates, he added.

The worm, which has been spreading since October of last year, uses a special algorithm to determine what internet domains it will use to download instructions.

Security researchers had tried to clamp down on Conficker by blocking criminals from accessing the 250 internet domains that Conficker was using each day to look for instructions, but starting April 1, the algorithm will generate 50,000 random domains per day — far too many for researchers to connect with.

Gradually, the Conficker network will get updated, but this will take time, and nothing dramatic is expected to happen on April 1, according to Porras, Howard, and researchers at Secureworks and Panda Security.

"There is no clear evidence that the Conficker botnet will do anything dramatic," said Andre DiMino, cofounder of The Shadowserver Foundation, a volunteer security group. "It will change its domain usage to the larger pool and may attempt to drop another variant, but so far, that's about it."

"Regular users just need to be sure they are patched and be extra diligent about possible new methods of infection."

Cheers, Mac... :eek:

Last edited:
-

well, its the first,
nothing happened.
just another "april fools joke" i guess.
because my PC has no virus at all.
it could be my firewall, but it would pop up and say that somethings trying to get into my PC.

cheers

Clean Electrical Connections

Just in case...I wiped my ethernet cable connector down with rubbing alcohol, to sterilize it, to kill the worm, or virus:p

My PC is now so clean...that it smells like a doctors office.

Last edited:
Or you can invest in a good virus scaning program and a good firewall. Also insure you have appropriate OS patches installed. Next research the Confiker worm at reliable sites such as AVG and the major AV vendors.

A Good Virus Program being avast!: You can get a Free Trial for a Year, but you Technically own it as long as you want, because Registering gets you a Registry Number... But anywho, avast! has Kicked some Serious Rootkit Arse on my PC... Had a long Hassle of Dealing with all sorts of Bad Things for a while, but then I put on avast!, and Trainz is running smoothly, and my PC is going even smoother... :D

A Good Virus Program being avast!: You can get a Free Trial for a Year, but you Technically own it as long as you want, because Registering gets you a Registry Number... But anywho, avast! has Kicked some Serious Rootkit Arse on my PC... Had a long Hassle of Dealing with all sorts of Bad Things for a while, but then I put on avast!, and Trainz is running smoothly, and my PC is going even smoother... :D
Much agreed my friend!:wave:

It works good! Much better than other ones... Seeing how after my PC CRASHED, and I found out about avast! and Put it on, Haven't had a Problem since... :)

Back