Appalled and Dismayed

That's a conscious choice to prevent people editing payware content, not a by-product of the way it is now distributed/installed. I can well understand and fully support the desire to prevent fraudulent redistribution but the new restrictions are almost like buying a Hornby/Bachmann model and then not being allowed to detail it.

Regards,

Anthony
My memory isn't what it was, but hasn't non-editable payware content been around for some time?

Wow bit of disturbing news here if its all true.

I'm quite happy to spend my remaining days on planet earth with TS10, I just don't like some of the things TS12 (padlocks on Juncs, Satellite View thingy, No camera buttons on the hud) to mention few. I was considering purchasing the next version of Trainz just to pull the content I want back down to TS10 but sounds like it might be all locked up now tighter than tight. Guess I won't be buying that now, another customer gone. Oh well there loss not mine.

There is just to many hoops to jump through these days for content creators they all sound a bit hacked if you ask me talk about locking the door after the horse has bolted. Mined you I guess there will be a new bunch content creators along soon to rescue the situation. Yeah right.

I think TS10 will go well on my soon to arrive overclocked 4.75ghz I7

Cheers

Lots

And this is what happens when false information is spread. Where are ya moderators, shouldn't you be clearing things up?

the New DLC is Multiplayer-Compatible, which is why it can't be edited

Last edited:
I agree with this statement too.
I really like trainz 12 SP0, but i think what N3V did with the DLS, SP1 and all the other things (DLC, DRM) is too much. They are not much better than a well known publisher who give a **** about customers (Ubisoft...)
I'll not patch my TS12, and I'll not buy any new trainz versions.
Congratulations N3V, you've lost the next customer...

Felix

I am with you. Not going to patch ( wreck) my TS12, and won't be buying any new versions either.

OH MY GOD. Because they made it easier to get DLC and made it Multiplayer compatible?

I thought Felix left... again

It depends...I haven't checked, but if you can clone and then modify DLC, this is a non-issue. If you can't, then N3V's intent was more likely to impose DRM. It's easy enough to validate whether or not an asset has been modified for multiplayer purposes (one cna use MD5/SHA hashing, for example) and, assuming the purpose was NOT DRM, would almost certainly have been incorporated.

I left AMTZ (only did what you wanted :eek: ) and content creation, but not this forum :) sorry, i think you are dissapointed now.

Last edited:
And this is what happens when false information is spread. Where are ya moderators, shouldn't you be clearing things up?

the New DLC is Multiplayer-Compatible, which is why it can't be edited

That does not EXPLAIN why it needs to be locked if cloned. Why do we need moderators H222? Please, if you don't like a statement, let others have a viewpoint to add without shouting for OMG MODS CLEAR THINGS UP!!!

It sounds like you don't want anyone to have a different point of view. BTW, thanks for your comment about MP-Compatible items. Fair point, but why should this lock items that people want to edit for their own use?

On old payware, this was not the case. why the change? On new payware, if true, a statement should be used TELLING people, that you can not edit anymore. N3V are moving the goal posts let again.

Regards.
CaptEngland.

I personally think that an in-game cloning option for payware DLC would be better than having the ability to edit payware DLC , especially since some payware DLC is used in multiplayer session. Hower, it's open to abuse, which is probably why payware DLC is locked anyway.

Shane

The locked DLC maybe a result of what was going on this past year with some foreigners pirating content.

Just a thought.

John

If you mean the stuff that was uploaded to the DLS, that could very easily have been - and was, IIRC - by N3V.

Even without DRM, N3V is in a unique position to put the kibosh on much if not the vast majority of the piracy and distribution of their materials, unlike most other product manufacturers.

I can't run the locos I choose on the S&C from the DLC, and I can't clone the route to make it possible either.
That's a waste of time for me as well then.
Chris.

Yes you can actually, just have to build your own session from scratch, try create session i've just added a loco gone to quickdrive which required saving the session and its working fine.

Thanks for that Clam, it works and I could change some track as well.
A problem I now have is that Skipton-Carlisle is stuck open for edit where I tried to clone it, and I can't commit or revert.
Chris.

Yes you can actually, just have to build your own session from scratch, try create session i've just added a loco gone to quickdrive which required saving the session and its working fine.

Don't forget to set up all the stations again, otherwise you will be overflowing with passengers.

Oh yes and the same for the industries........

Thanks for that Clam, it works and I could change some track as well.
A problem I now have is that Skipton-Carlisle is stuck open for edit where I tried to clone it, and I can't commit or revert.
Chris.

Been there, just delete it from open to edit.

Let's see if we can reduce the number of angels dancing on the head of this pin a little:

1.) If you have content that works, and you change it, and it doesn't work any more, you have induced an error. You can have done it for good or ill motives, and you can call the error the program's fault; you can also call it strawberry jam. The fact remains, you broke it.

2.) The program vendor can take a program that works, change it, and content that previously works doesn't work any more. The vendor has induced the error. The vendor can have done it for good or ill motives and call the error the content creator's fault; the vendor can also call it peanut butter. The fact remains, the vendor broke it.

3.) Content modifier and program vendor may advance various arguments as to why they made this or that change which broke something that worked previously; this is all very well, but it's just hand-waving. If you broke it and don't fix it, it's on you.

4.) Arguments from privilege - "I bought your program, it should work the way I want it to!" or "We sold this program, so we'll tell you how it will work whether you like it or not!" are forms of hand-waving. The only place to start is at who made the change, and what the change caused.

(Steps down from soapbox and walks off into the sunset, listing slightly to port.)

Back