Amtrak Bill Has Passed The Senate!

kmothersil

With the approval of the Amtrak bill by the Senate that gives Amtrak $13 billion in funding is there a possibility that if the bill is signed by the president will Amtrak bring back it express mail service? P.S. This thread can basically be a discussion about the bill and what may happen once it's signed on by the president.

Express mail by train is a little slow, isn't it? Since the mail is all sorted by machines at the post office, it's probably better to send it by plane.
They can use the cash to build their own track so they can improve passenger service, but they probably won't. They'll probably buy a few new cars and keep the same inconvenient service.
I wish I could travel by train, but I have to get where I'm going in a reasonable time, so I drive my car.

:cool: Claude

$13 billion is a lot of money. A lot of a lot of money. Consider that Amtrak's current funding is around $1 billion a year. Amtrak could do a lot with $13 billion dollars besides buying 13,000 new Amfleets.

I'm really shocked that it got passed, with the US governments recent shunning of all things other than those that fly or have four wheels. I was under the impression that the Acela was the last we'd heard of rail development from the US. Now you need to press for some high speed lines in California, Florida, Texas and the Northwest Corridor, and most importantly massive safety overhauls epically with signaling.

May the US rail network become great again, then we can have some top high speed US routes in Trainz.

:D Andy

As I said on another thread here regarding distance rail travel in the US, it is unfortunate regarding the rather skeleton thing that is left from the earlier halycon days that started dying in the 1950's. Unlike other developed countries it has a poor network and any move to improve that is to be very much encouraged.

i think most of the money should be spent on new track, new cars, new engines, and new stations. Amtrak needs to be back on top and with this high demand of rail new stations aren't that bad of an idea.

well as long as amtrak dosn't go and waste it on new things i think we're good. I think they should use it to maintain or fix what they already have BEFORE they spend it on new stuff.

I'm really shocked that it got passed, with the US governments recent shunning of all things other than those that fly or have four wheels. I was under the impression that the Acela was the last we'd heard of rail development from the US. Now you need to press for some high speed lines in California, Florida, Texas and the Northwest Corridor, and most importantly massive safety overhauls epically with signaling.

May the US rail network become great again, then we can have some top high speed US routes in Trainz.

:D Andy

The Florida High Speed Rail Authority, back in '04 was downturned by Governor Jeb Bush, George "Dubya" Bush's 'Lil Brother:hehe:. In '05, the leglislature decided to continue on, but with a more slow pace, and working with Amtrak to create an Amtrak Florida(Similar to AmCal) service, to "boost" the need for HSR. If you see how most lines(Except the LGVs) on High speed railways were built, they were conventional lines until the demand for HSR came along, then they upgraded the lines.

Isaac

They could always try to figure out a way to get the Acela going 150 mph between D.C and Philladelphia.

One thing they are doing by 2020. is expanding the commuter service in the northeast including Pittsburgh south(70MPH)

They could always try to figure out a way to get the Acela going 150 mph between D.C and Philladelphia.

"TRY"? "FIGURE"? LOL, they can run 150MPH average, if it was on an LGV style line.... since its the NEC, its onlt about 100-125...

Isaac

Back