Abandonned assets and updating issues

Not adding LOD while fixing an asset just delays the problem.
That does not sound right Paul, Your talking about asset's made for a version of the game that the asset worked in quite well most of the time, Why should creator's have to keep going back to the same asset to keep it updated or loose it entirely to who ever wants to take on the problem ?.
Yes i do understand newer versions come along and new content has to be made compliant but why can't N3V take on the responsibility of making content creation guide's for each new version of the game they want to sell to us ?, Seems they are quite willing to give us a little bit of info here and there and the rest has to be worked out within the community and to be honest i feel all of this is their fault as they seem to pass on enough tid bits here and there to get the community fired up then come along and quench the fire so to speak with sum-thing all together different from what the community thought in the first place.
Hows about a bit of communication on what direction N3V would like the community to take and help us get there quicker so we are all reading from the same hymm sheet ?.
Cheers Mick.

... but why can't N3V take on the responsibility of making content creation guide's for each new version of the game they want to sell to us ?

It is not often that I agree with you matruck, but my attempts to find out how various built in rules work has been a source of great frustration lately. The Trainz Wiki is woefully out of date and it is clearly low down on N3V's list of priorities, and perhaps with good reason but it does slow things down for the rest of us who want to advance this great simulator.

It is an amazing Sim Pware that could of been made a hell of a lot better with a bit of communication from those who actually made it in the first place and wish to make it even better but they need our help but without giving us a direction i feel we are stumbling around in the dark at the moment and have been for awhile.
Mick.:)

The simple solution would be for N3V to declare all submissions to the DLS as covered by Creative Commons license. The actual implication of this is somewhat limited in that the author is not uploading meshes directly. The community could be restricted from reverse engineering these under license, but adding LOD meshes or other slight modifications could be done for DLS assets.

The complication here is that the entire asset generation process has been, from the beginning, completely free market (with a few exceptions that will no doubt be pointed out! ;)). This means that it is the asset creator's right to define whether he or she will generate freeware or payware, and then also their choice to distribute and grant rights of modification to others at will.

That means that it is not N3V's responsibility to, nor should we expect them to provide guidance on what is ultimately the authors responsibility. If they do, then no matter what they say, the result will be fury from content creators--and with good reason. We truly don't want N3V interfering with a great process already in place (minus a few glitches).

What then? It is the responsibility of all content creators to express their intentions clearly and succinctly concerning how they want to protect and distribute their assets. Content creators ought to also assume the responsibility of handing off their assets if they chose to move on. In case of unexpected demise, however, unless you are prolific like Dave Snow :))), I wouldn't expect that you will include Trainz asset handling in your will; in this case, the uncertainty will remain as with any other creation of a deceased author.

That does not sound right Paul, Your talking about asset's made for a version of the game that the asset worked in quite well most of the time, Why should creator's have to keep going back to the same asset to keep it updated or loose it entirely to who ever wants to take on the problem ?.

The point I was trying to make was that if a repairer needed to repair an asset then they may as well fix the LOD issue at the same time. You get a better result and it really doesn't change the author's intent.

There are creators who would happily like their early creations to disappear but N3V have taken the view that removing assets, except in extreme cases, can break routes. i.e. the missing dependency problem. There has been a suggestion to hide those assets so that they cannot be used again but are still available for routes. Not sure if that has been fully thought out yet. So, I imagine someone downloading a route with that dependency will still get it but it wouldn't show up as usable for a new route. Hope that makes sense.

There's no doubt that asset scrutiny has tightened up. Some of the errors are quite bizarre such as references to attachment points that don't exist in the mesh. Ideally, that would have been picked up when first created.

I miss the CCG as well. When I first started making stuff I just printed the TC version out and sat down and flipped through it. It still has some uses but is hopelessly out of date. I don't mind the Trainz WiKi but it can be hard to find stuff.

Which is kind of my point Paul why is it the creator that has to keep bending over backwards to make this company money ?, If they were to be more open and up front about what they want then we could all move forward together whilst still keeping those happy that were prepared to stay behind with their current version/asset's that worked for that version till they could either afford to move up or decided to move up of their own freewill, And no this has nothing to do with buying a motor car and having to up date it every year or you'd be behind the Jone's, This is about a hobby that sum can come home from after hard days work and sit and do what they enjoy.
Mick.

Only one problem is Creative Commons has various versions one of which does not allow commercial use and thus is not appropriate for the DLS https://creativecommons.org/choose/

It's not sufficient to just state Commercial Commons you need to specify the exact version in the license, it's not a straight forward do what you like license although depending on the version it can be. Never assume anything though.

... whilst still keeping those happy that were prepared to stay behind with their current version/asset's that worked for that version ...
Mick.
Just a small but significant point: not all of those early assets were really error free. The earlier Trainz versions would often paper over errors with the attendant performance degradation or crashes but at least you didn't have any asset errors. Whether this was a good strategy is another conversation.

Now they are attempting to fix their mess and some noses are going to be out of joint and toes will be stepped on. I think we should think of some creative solutions. that minimize the pain.

Only one problem is Creative Commons has various versions one of which does not allow commercial use and thus is not appropriate for the DLS https://creativecommons.org/choose/

It's not sufficient to just state Commercial Commons you need to specify the exact version in the license, it's not a straight forward do what you like license although depending on the version it can be. Never assume anything though.
I like this one.

There are creators who would happily like their early creations to disappear but N3V have taken the view that removing assets, except in extreme cases, can break routes. i.e. the missing dependency problem. There has been a suggestion to hide those assets so that they cannot be used again but are still available for routes. Not sure if that has been fully thought out yet. So, I imagine someone downloading a route with that dependency will still get it but it wouldn't show up as usable for a new route. Hope that makes sense.

Here is what I am facing (And yes, I should also double post this in the CRG thread):

I used to double host my creations on the DLS and my own site. Both versions have the same kuid and version numbers.

So what could potentially happen is if for someone reason I miss the notice about the CRG wanting to "Fix" one of my assets that passed TS12 SP1 HF4 Error checking which was supposedly TANE compatible at that point if I recall that point being made when TANE was in the making. It is conceivable that the CRG breaks the model, makes a LOD for it, and re-uploads it to the DLS with a new version number.

So now the identical item I have on my site has been obsoleted by the DLS version. This is now a MAJOR point against dual hosting.

Now take the above example, and say the assigned version number is made :127. That is the highest version number Trainz will read. Now not only is the item on my site obsoleted, I cant make a new version because Trainz wont recognize anything higher than version :127. (Yes, this has been done before with built in assets before).

Just to muddy the waters further SPorBUSt granted me the right to repair his content and reupload it to the DLS under my kuid. The repaired items passed TS12 SP1 HF4 error checking and had the build number changed back to 2.9 before upload to allow as may of the community members access to it on the DLS.

As stated, Frank's models passed TS12 SP1 HF4 error checking but do not have LOD as Frank did not implement it. I can not make LODs as Frank did not give me access to his meshes even though he was leaving the community. I even offered to buy them, but he said no.

Recently he did gave me permission to continue on fixing his content and to upload it to my own site with the advent of 09/10/12 uploads being cut off. so now along comes CRG, decides that they want the content to have LOD, breaks the mesh to make LOD, then re uploads it with a new version number.

So, now potentially the items on my site I have worked on to get them up to TS12 SP1 HF4 standards will all be obsoleted by the DLS and could potentially lock me out of making any new updates depending on the Version number (remember the :127 problem?). 09/10/12 users who have the content from my site will instantly see X number of locomotives from my site being obsoleted instantly.

I miss the CCG as well. When I first started making stuff I just printed the TC version out and sat down and flipped through it. It still has some uses but is hopelessly out of date. I don't mind the Trainz WiKi but it can be hard to find stuff.

I totally agree with you. I can't find any stronger words to express that. Its frustrating as hell to have little info to create with as of late, yet sit here an listen to people try to blame content creators because something didn't work right in Tane or that a certain asset makes Tane look bad. Nothing like belittling the people who give their free time and effort for this community. You would think that nonsense would have been dealt with swiftly,but it was not.

To summarize, I think the CRG idea needs bit of refining and they NEED to talk to content creators. I understand that my situation could be unique. Additionally Content Creators need the tools necessary to fix/upgrade their assets. As happens, sometimes the original mesh can be lost. Perhaps this wonder program that can reverse engineer meshes should be made available to the ORIGINAL creator if they wish to fix their own assets first. Perhaps N3V could work with Peter PEV and help create a tool that would allow content creators to make an LOD for their older models (in a similar fashion as his shadow maker.... brilliant piece of software by the way).

I also don't believe any of the rights you grant N3V in the upload agreement allows them to obsolete your copyrighted works on sites outside of the DLS. Again, this is a major point against dual hosting one's content.

I think N3V and the CRG might want to give these points a looking over before proceeding.

Last edited:
Now take the above example, and say the assigned version number is made :127. That is the highest version number Trainz will read. Now not only is the item on my site obsoleted, I cant make a new version because Trainz wont recognize anything higher than version :127. (Yes, this has been done before with built in assets before). ....
Could you provide an example of this :127 issue. I had a quick look on the DLs and didn't find any object with a version number that high. Or is this one of those red Clupeidae?

Given the :127 limit, why would anyone skip all the intervening version numbers and go straight to 127? Just to be spiteful and prevent it being updated by others? Of course they can't update it themselves either but if they think it is already perfect that would not be a problem.

Last edited:
Could you provide an example of this :127 issue. I had a quick look on the DLs and didn't find any object with a version number that high. Or is this one of those red Clupeidae?

Given the :127 limit, why would anyone skip all the intervening version numbers and go straight to 127? Just to be spiteful and prevent it being updated by others? Of course they can't update it themselves either but if they think it is already perfect that would not be a problem.

Give me a bit... my examples were a few items that were taken from the DLS, their version number changed to :127, and made as a built in item only. I think it was in TS10. I remember a flurry of messages on the board here of people looking for certain items with the :127 version that did not reside on the DLS. I think I even got caught once on it, an ARN asset I believe. I will look this evening and provide an example.

As for someone changing the Version number to :127, N3V has done it before, doesn't mean they would not do it again.

Offtopic kuid versioning reply

Who cares if the kuids ends on :127?
Just start a new kuid and add the kuid ending on :127 to the obsolete table. Easy as that. Yes; it works.
This seriously is a none-issue.

Same goes for your asset on a 3rd party website:
If the version on the DLS is :4 and you are afraid that you miss an email and someone fixes the asset and ups the kuids to :5, you simply up the version on your personal website to :6 and your problem is solved.
This is no issue at all.

This also cancels the whole "N3V obsoletes copyright" comment.

Who cares if the kuids ends on :127?
The repair process requires that the asset is uploaded with the original KUID and an incremented kuid version. Setting the version to 127 makes it impossible for anyone other than the content creator to obsolete it - no third-party repair is possible. It is clear that this has been done in a number of cases to prevent the repairs that the content creator agreed to when it was uploaded to the DLS.

Some example of these numbers are:
<KUID2:146087:21331:127>
<KUID2:146087:21332:127>
<KUID2:146087:21652:127>
<KUID2:146087:21702:127>
<KUID2:146087:21704:127>
<KUID2:146087:21706:127>
<KUID2:146087:21732:127>
<KUID2:146087:30126:127>

That will happen if somebody uses a kuid2 but doesn't specify a revision number; Trainz defaults to assigning a revision of :127. It's the reason why I try to check my kuids.

I've seen a handful of these before, and the assets long pre-dated any DLS cleanup. So, it's unlikely they were upversioned intentionally.

You can obsolete assets if any of this is a problem, by simply specifying the old kuid(s) in the obsolete table of a new asset.

Careful, apparently we are off topic discussing this :hehe:

What I am using as an example is assets that are available on the DLS that were made built in and up versioned to :127. I know one of them was in TS10 and was a ARN library.

Im pretty sure that wasn't the only asset that got that treatment, so its just not Content Creators doing it.

I will post my results, if this thread hasn't been shut down by then.

As for adding LoD, my understanding of the original purpose of the old PM mesh format was to implement a kind of LoD on-the-fly. Unfortunately, PM requires LoD to created dynamically, in-game, whereas IM does the LoD ahead of time so that the game does not spend time doing it during play. So, in a sense, if you made a PM mesh, you already made an LoD version, and adding it to an existing asset is simply is fixing it to work with more modern versions of Trainz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_meshes

Back